1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka says Rockets 3rd quarter defense an "embarrassment" vs Blazers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

EXactly.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Then the Rockets should be losing games when the starters are out. The Rockets aren't losing games because of Tate or Landale. The Rockets have a higher Net Rating with Tate than the starting lineup despite Tate not really fitting with the Rockets. The Rockets have a higher Net Rating with Landale than the starting lineup. This isn't to say Tate is great. He's just good enough for his role that the Rockets typically win his minutes provided Jalen Green isn't out there (i.e., the bench is not an abomination and Tate isn't good enough to start). Landale...he's been fattening up on scrubs lately. He's looked better, but hard to tell considering competition.

I should also point out that Landale is out of the rotation on most nights with less than 2 guys hurt. Tate was losing minutes before Tari got hurt. I don't expect Tate will be in the rotation in about 2 weeks because Stone has done such a great job assembling a bench.

Other teams benches look better at times because those teams have a star starter that can play with 3 or 4 bench players and still cook. I love Sengun, but he's in the bottom half of best players on a team right now.*

* this is not meant to throw shade at Sengun. He's still very young and great for his age.

3. MystikArkitect

And Thompson/Whitmore. They flash but they are not winning NBA players right now. Ultimately we as a fan base are going to have to bite the bullet and understand that we cannot groom Cam/Amen and win at the same time. Are we going to waste development giving minutes to Aaron Holiday, Jaesean Tate and Reggie Bullock? We'll win the battle but lose the war. Season has been fun but we need to plan for the future. At least this year we've had a lot of close games with very few blowouts.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That time period, Rockets are -4.2 ppg in +/-. The primary starting lineup is -3.8 ppg in only 15 mpg with a whopping 125 defensive rating.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh yes and no.

The Celtics were .500% the year before Udoka took over, but they had reached as high as the ECF with most of that group a few years earlier. Udoka got them to the NBA Finals, too bad he was porking every redhead in the tri county area around Boston.

As for teetering on the edge, yeah - once they fell two games under .500% I kind of knew this was a sub .500% team - and I am sure Udoka is aware and wants to keep it a 40 win team and not a 32-33 win team..... but the losses cannot be that surprising, when he took the job the Rockets were a mess and they were only going to improve so much in a short window.

Patience and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Cam and amen should be getting all those minutes and at least 15 each from FVV and Jalen. We are not making the playoffs if we don’t get a talent like bridges really soon to take jalens starting role. Amen,cam,Tari have the makings of a terrific bench this year, but time is running out.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  7. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Dont forget, when Ime took over in Boston (with all the vet talent they had) it took them about half a season to 'get it' and play the right way. We dont have half that talent and half of our young talented rotation is injured right now. So these kind of loses will happen. It's ugly and frustrating but its just what we are going through right now. Until we are fully healthy and our rotation is back in place, it will be tough out there.

All of this is a learning experience for our youngsters. I can see some trades coming next month to shore up some depth on the roster. We need some..

Mathloom and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If the team has stopped defending well, its not Ime's fault.
    We know Ime emphasizes defense, teaches defense, preaches defense, and probably talks in his sleep about defense.
    The guys know what Ime wants them to do.

If they are not doing it, its on the players, mostly.
    Partly on Stone for the roster having no backup big or pg.
    Partly on injuries which is no ones fault.

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This was also super inflated by all the teams missing one of their top 2 players when we played them. Of course our D looks elite when they aren’t playing AD, Murray, Fox, etc

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I keep saying we need a center who can rebound and play defense. Earlier in the season, when Sengun was playing DEFENSE, the team and the record was better.

But he resorted back to who he is, which is an offensive center. Also, it didn't help that Jabari was out too. However, your center is like a Goalie in Soccer, he's your last line of defense.

12. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree on one thing: It doesn't matter if you are a defensive or offensive player if there is no effort and dog mentality! He and the rest of the team including Dillion played shitty defense. Alpi at times was wandering around in the defense. I was like what are you doing dude! Do something!

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

if IME means business then start Tate

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say this matters some, but the odd thing is those hurt good teams were beating other teams. I think the Rockets defense may have surprised some of teams and teams are adapting. It just seemed like Brooks or FVV were always there at the nail helping stop penetration early in the year.

15. maypk

maypk Member

That's funny because I've seen you complaining here about his defense when "earlier in the season, when Sengun was playing DEFENSE" too.

You're just a clueless hater, and a terrible one at that.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of it has to do with missing Tari. Tari is so important to this team. Probably the third most important player after Sengun and Fred.

Drift Monkey, j@amc and harold bingo like this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

LOL.... it's cute how many of yall can't manage realistic expectations.

Patience likes this.