1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What if the pick was Top 9 protected instead of Top 8 protected?

I doubt any GM would do a deal like this, but Top 8 protected seems like the perfect spot for this being a coin flip between heavily favoring Rockets (2 crappy SRPs for old vet and backup C) and heavily favoring the Pistons (9th or 10th pick for old vet and backup center).

If the pick ends up 9th or 10th and Rockets keep the pick, I think Rockets would go for a backup center in the draft.

snowconeman22 and NewAge like this.
  2. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

You said it right -- no GM would do that deal. It would almost be gambling their job on the ping pong balls. Basically a 50/50 shot that you've made one of the dumbest deals in the last ten years.

For what? Because you wanted your 8th/9th men to be Stewart and Burks on a 3 month rental over the alternatives you could get for just multiple SRP's?

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He’s tolerated it just fine for years, tolerates butler playing and sitting and half assing when he feels like it no problem. Under no circumstances would i give up any real assets for hero, let one of the idiot franchises do that

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If trading the 9th pick for Stewart is the dumbest move, trading 2 crappy SRPs for must be the greatest if we're going to deal in hyperboles.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Stewart is a backup C. 2-3 SRP's for a solid backup C is just about the going price.

We're talking about a player who was just dropped from the starting lineup of a 4-39 team.

OremLK likes this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's the kind of deal I'd be looking for... a guy who's clearly a backup on a playoff team. Stewart, Olynyk, Drummond, Hartenstein, Richards.

As good as Gafford sounds, I'm worried the Wiz would ask for a first-rounder. Same goes for Capela. Maybe Claxton too, though I'm not sure Brooklyn can get that for a half season rental... they might just prefer to extend him and try to trade him later.

7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Trade #1: WSH - HOU
    Landale + 2024 SRP for Gafford
    Simple. Wiz cut cap & can choose to keep Landale or not.
    Rox get backup big who does want Sengawd does not and helps prepare team for a play-in game push.

Trade #2: POR - HOU - NYK
    POR: Fornier (NYK) + Bullock (HOU) + 2024 FRP via NYK (least favorable of DAL or NYK) + 2 SRPs via HOU (2024, 2026)
    Blazers can walk from Fornier's deal at the end of this year (saves $$$) and the move frees up PT for Scoot. The picks can be use in a later package.

NYK: Thybuille (POR) + Tate (HOU) + Holiday (HOU) + Oladipo (HOU) + 2024 GSW SRP via HOU
    Knicks deepen their bench for a low FRP & a player that doesn't play. The drop from a low FRP to mid SRP won't be so bad if Nix make a playoff push.

HOU: Brogdon (POR) + Grimes (NYK) + Arcidiacono (NYK)
    Arcidiacono gets waived. Jalen gets the starting role, but Brogdon plays hefty minutes & backups FVV as well. Grimes brings 3% off the bench offsets Holiday loss. Hopefully, Grimes brings that Byg Tate Energy off the bench.

FVV - Brogdon
    Thrilla - Amen
    Dillon - Grimes / Cam
    Bari - Tari
    Alpi - Gafford

That's a decent 10/11 man rotation plus everybody is locked up for next year to run it back.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

I like #2. A note on Thybulle's contract.

Thybulle was a RFA, Mavericks gave Matisse a 3-year, 33 million-dollar offer sheet. Blazers matched it.

Normally it's a sign that Portland values him more than wanting to trade him. Matisse also has a no trade clause, which means he has a right to veto NY in that deal should he choose.

Thybulle's 3pt improved this year, was thinking about him as an option, while possible, the feeling is Blazers want to keep him.

Doesn't hurt to talk it out.

jch1911 likes this.
  9. R=$

R=$ Member

Outlook: -3.9 ppg, -0.9 rpg, and -1.2 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Jakob Poeltl
    28 year old, 7-0, 260 lb C from Utah
    10.6 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 2.5 apg in 26.5 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Gary Trent, Jr.
    25 year old, 6-5, 204 lb SG from Duke
    11.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Jalen Green
    21 year old, 6-4, 186 lb SG from NBA G League Ignite
    17.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 3.2 apg in 30.3 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Victor Oladipo
    31 year old, 6-3, 213 lb G from Indiana
    No games yet played in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Jock Landale
    28 year old, 6-11, 255 lb C from

evo8lover likes this.
  10. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I would trade a top-10 protected first for Claxton, assuming we have some assurances that we can re-sign him this summer. Incredibly gifted defensively, both as a shot-blocker and switching out on the perimeter. Great lob threat, a dimension we do not currently have on the roster, and though his outside shot is suspect, he's a good enough cutter that I believe could play alongside Alpy

11. TheBeastSystem

they are interested in jonathan isaac.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Would love to see:

Grimes
    Gallinari
    Isaiah Stewart
    To the Rockets

Fournier
    Rockets FRP (Nets 2024)
    To the Pistons (lost Gallow and Stew)

Landale
    Tate
    Bullock
    Rockets 2nd rounder
    To the Knicks (lost Grimes and Fournier)

That’s a good investment, we could get two playoff caliber rotation players right when they’re taking off (Grimes and Stewart).

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think that the C spot is the strength of this draft .... The best one probably going #1 but the next two could be tail end of the lottery or just a bit earlier - Sarr, Filipowski & Clingan but all very different players.
    Then there's a 4-5 more between the 20's and into the 2nd round.

Some of these guys can play both 4 and 5 .... backing up both Sengun and Jabari.

fattz likes this.
  14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

There will be no such assurance. Claxton wants to be a starter.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The 2 SRPs proposed are OKC. 2-3 good second round picks for a backup center on a normal contract is probably close to the going rate. That is not what the OKC picks will be. The OKC picks are good enough to touch a team in 3-way or more trades, but teams aren't going to trade much for a pick that late to draft someone that may or may not be available as a non-drafted free agent.

Edit: I like Stewart's contract (perfect size for contract matching as well as not being bad for a backup center), flexibility, shooting a lot more than someone like Capela who may need a pick to move him.
    I'd agree the center position is strong in this draft. I just don't know which ones are starter caliber besides Sarr. Clingan looks to me like a great backup center (guy I'd want if pick is 9th or 10th unless more guys step up as being better), but I don't know if he is versatile/mobile/endurant enough to start. I'd prefer Clingan to Stewart as Clingan has a lot more upside as a great player. I do worry that the NBA is getting faster with more shooting/mobility at the center position. 5-6 years from now, it might be difficult to have a center that can only play drop coverage (i.e., the Brook Lopez type of defender).

#1176 Joe Joe, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Kyle Kuzma Trade Rumors:

tldr: Few teams called Wizards on Kuz, but Wizards asking two firsts. Might be too high.

Stein reported last Sunday the Sacramento Kings and Dallas Mavericks have Kuzma on their radar. Washington, though, is looking to get back "at least" two first-round picks.

"And the implication is they will be seeking higher quality picks than Toronto received from Indiana in the [Pascal] Siakam trade; two of the three future first-rounders sent to the Raptors by Indiana are from the oft-maligned 2024 draft this June," he added..." (article)

#1177 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  18. HealthyHamstring

Houston In: Malcolm Brodgon
    Houston Out: JaSean Tate, Victor Oladipo, 2024 OKC 2RP, 2025 HOU 2RP

Boston In: JaSean Tate, 2024 OKC 2RP, 2025 HOU 2RP
    Boston Out: 2024 BOS 1RP, Brissett/Svi/Blanton (end of bench salary filler)

Portland In: 2024 BOS 1RP, Brissett/Svi/Blanton (end of bench salary filler), Victor Oladipo
    Portland Out: Malcolm Brogdon

FVV/Amen
    Jalen/Brogdon
    Brooks/Cam
    Jabari/Tari
    Sengun/***

***HOU still has Jock Landale, Jeff Green and 2 more decent 2024 2RP's (BKN and GSW) to go get a backup center like Daniel Gafford or Clint Capela

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Boston might do that for the BRK and GSW SRPs this year instead of 2 listed, and maybe need Holiday in there with or in lieu of Tate. I don't think the Bos 2024 FRP gets Brogdon.

20. HealthyHamstring

What if Houston sent the '24 BKN 2RP to Portland as well with instead of the '24 OKC 2RP pick going to Boston, Aaron Holiday to Boston?

I might not have the details right, but I think the 3 team structure above makes a whole lot of sense