1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why are you offended by 'Deserved its own thread`? It is just his humor.....

Is that a new racial slur I did not catch up onto?

I do not have a problem with Sengün doubters because quite honestly Sengün is not mine, he is a public figure who happens to play for the Rockets.....

Some people act offended in place of Sengün, whereas Sengün himself would brush it off because he is a megastar now.

anthony59237 likes this.
  2. NewAge

NewAge Member

Since it got bumped anyway, it would be interesting to know your current view on the "core"? How do you see things now? I for one would love to hear it, and I am sure many others would, too. You have been a bit cryptic in the years since then, with some low-key digs at Sengun, whom many consider the centerpiece now.

Also, another question that me and maybe others have is: do you still consider the tanking worth it? I think some diehards were disappointed to see the ultimate Rockets Fan be so sanguine about the terrible losing culture that was imposed on the franchise for the sake of ping-pong balls.

Jags, IvanLCPM, Holybats and 2 others like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Appreciate the response and all the diligent research done.

I have no problem saying that I was wrong, many times. And I tend to be wrong in the direction of being too enthusiastic about our own players. As I often said, I don't consider myself a basketball expert, at all. I'm just an overly enthusiastic Rockets fan.

When was the last time you were wrong, if ever? Were you wrong about Sengun, ever? Or always right and never wrong?

Until very recently, I had still been hoping that Jalen could fulfill his star potential - I must however say that it is not looking good anymore.

Whom would you (not: "the organization") view as the core today? Whom do you consider the best player, at this point? You went out of your way to tell us whom you do not consider the best player quite recently ("nope") - is that opinion unchanged?

Also, do you have any insight on whether "the organization" has changed their mind on Sengun at this point? Whom do we actually mean by that? The GM? The owner and his son? Or the coaches?

I would say that the current coaching staff are trusting him, and that the results of that have been better for the team than whatever the previous coaching staff were trying.

Would you be happy for the Rockets if Sengun were to make it to the all-star game? People are curious because you supported previous Rockets players in their all-star bids but have been absolutely quiet about Sengun being considered by experts and fans.

Thanks.

#1083 AroundTheWorld, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  4. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

It is not that...I have no issues with people disagreeing with me. I've had conversations with himbasketball; I respect Verbal Christ takes. You can say anything about them but they are opinionated. They contribute to the conversation one way or another. Have you seen OS contributing to anything? If he told me why he doesn't like Sengun, I respect that. That is his opinion but dont mock me if I voice my opinion. That is bullying!

Look at the first page of ROCKETS SENGUN-JABARI FRONT COURT IS REAL thread. I was excited about seeing the developing relationship between Jabari and Sengun. Am I not allowed to celebrate that with a new thread? What is he contributing to the celebration of Rockets front court? Is name calling like Sengunatics okay? Should I let him abuse and put some of us into boxes of his definitions? I haven't seen him humoring any Rockets player threads other than Sengun-related threads.

Clutch is rightfully so standing against the trolls. Do you think he appreciates AroundTheWorld's humor? Do you find every comedian funny? Is this a comedy forum or a basketball one? Can we have serious conversation about our players without fighting? Can we voice our opinions, however wrong that might be, without getting mocked? Can we agree to disagree without trolling, without name calling each other? Is that too much to ask? I really enjoy the live streams Clutch is organizing. Really good conversations. I personally benefitted and learned a lot but they dont agree on everything. Why can't we have here the same standards?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has said I.D.I.O.T. for 5-6 years now, believe me I know, I have been here more than 18 years .....time flies.

Never thought anything about it......

He does not like Sengün, I mean, I have never thought it provocative to me or my fandom.

I like to crack jokes on here as well about other players so I am probably the last person to tell on someobody like him.....

People have put up with me when I clearly disliked Harden, and I stand by the fact I did not like his playing style.

It is a weird thing, it is a privately regulated but open forum but people pay good money to be here.......

You will come across a lot of weird birds in here, I can only advice you to take things more lightly....I do not want to see you banned for some minor spat between posters.

#1085 daywalker02, Jan 22, 2024
  6. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Respect to you and thank you for the advice. I think I will be less active here for a while. I am really annoyed by his behavior!

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or put him on the Ignore List if that is help to you.

AlperenSengun and burlesk like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And DD :p

DaDakota and Easy like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I just bought a Clutchfans T-Shirt and a "Houston AF" mug from Clutchfans :). (My wife was slightly bemused when that mug arrived while I was traveling.)

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Oh yes, I'm so devastated...

[​IMG]

Wearing the "weird dork" badge with pride lol.

No, seriously, I respect @Clutch for building the best basketball fan community in the world. If he thinks I have been trolling him a bit because of his Sengun take, then he's right. But it's all in good fun, and I hope @Clutch can see that.

@Clutch is also correct - I am definitely not a basketball savant. Just a guy who likes to watch the Rockets, even if it means staying up late at night.

Go Rockets!

11. maypk

maypk Member

I honestly can understand why he is skeptical about Alp, and i don't care that he doesn't post every Alp highlights and more willing to post his defensive lowlights.

But I believe it's time to elaborate on that "he has bad work ethics" stuff. You can't just accuse a 20-year-old kid of having bad work ethics for two years and never elaborate on that. He very well might have bad work ethics; I don't know. But Clutch seems to know it. So I expect him to explain why he and the FO think he has bad work ethics.

#1091 maypk, Jan 22, 2024
    AlperenSengun and RudyTBag like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sometimes I wonder. As much as Jalen Green is being hated now, has anybody actually hoped that Jalen would be good just so to prove Bobby wrong? I put him in Ignore, so I don't know how many victory laps he's been running now that the Corey Brewer comparison looks to have a little more merit.

RudyTBag likes this.
  13. CXbby

CXbby Member

We don’t know the answers to any of this, because Clutch has only made passive aggressive digs at Sengun since this thread. Clutch is correct in pointing out that at the time he didn’t say anything wrong in the OP. The organization certainly viewed Jalen as the core at the time, and did not view Sengun as the core. People like Clutch agreed with that stance, while some of us disagreed with the Sengun part. Neither of those takes are crazy or bad in the moment.

However, it would be INSANE to still believe that today. But since Clutch is too petty to acknowledge anything positive about Sengun, does not think he is the best player on the team (Nope), and will only point out when the coach criticizes him (ironically because the coach holds him to a higher standard and believes in him), we can only surmise that Clutch still feels the same way as the OP today.

To pretend like if the shoe was on the other foot it wouldn’t be the same way, if Sengun was struggling, benched, traded or looked as miserable as Jalen does today, Clutch wouldn’t be trolling us? He already gleefully mocked me in celebration the second Sengun was benched that one game, so let’s not pretend anyone is a better man here. But as others have pointed out, at least I’m the one rooting for the Rockets best players to succeed here if there’s any agendas going around, and I’ll stay on that side all day long.

duluth111222 and RudyTBag like this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My core/untradeables at this point would be; Jabari, Tari, Amen and Cam.

Hard to get but I will listen;
    Sengun, Brooks, FVV and Jalen

Lets make a deal;
    Oladipo, Jeff, Tate, Landale, Holiday

15. maypk

maypk Member

You're really making it so difficult to take you seriously. LOL

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you still think Sengun is not part of the untouchable core before Jabari, Tari, Amen and Cam, you are just delusional.

noppeper, YOLO, Ankara1923 and 8 others like this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nerve touched.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's in Jalen's hands, his career is not over, this was merely his first stop......I think he still can be better than Brewer whose career was not atrocious either.

Corey won one with the Mavs.....

Easy likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes.

cmoak1982, Easy and MystikArkitect like this.
  20. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

We all sit here and say the likes of Sengun, Amen, Jabari or Cam are untouchable but they'd be traded without second thought for a Giannis, Doncic, SGA etc.

No one on our team is actually what you consider as untradeable.

NewAge likes this.