1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most high lotto rookies make a bunch of mistakes of aggression, mixed in with wow plays early (Cam falls in this camp). Amen seemed to be more tentative early, and makes mistakes being conservative — as he gets more comfortable, the flash plays are now coming. He still defers a ton, will be curious to see how that changes.

I wish he would stop being paired with Tate. Tate crashes the offensive glass for boards he doesn’t have the physical gifts to get - Amen would come up with some of those.

Patience, RustyHarden and Nook like this.
  2. Strawberry Gum

I want him to develop a functional jump shot so much. I fear he might be another Ben Simmons otherwise.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah, that's right, another first round pick on another guy from that teenage league.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He is, just the latest in a long line of Rockets players who have proven themselves better than Jalen Green.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nothing casual being a wing and getting them boards, crashing those.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ben Simmons was not bad until he fail to shoot at the rim in the playoffs. Before that he was an.All -Star

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I hear you on the jump shot, but I have no such fear of him becoming Ben Simmons. Simmons doesn’t have the heart, work ethic, or mental toughness for the game. It’s clear to me Amen has all those things. He may never be a good jump shooter but he’s gonna bring maximum effort, and most importantly, he’s never gonna quit on his team like Simmons did ;)

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Thank you. I'm so sick and tired of the "another Ben Simmons" comments which are just plain dumb. Near the same for the Rondo comparisons.

Let's watch and enjoy this very raw rookie Amen develop into a mature Amen.

10. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah throw the just an athlete take in there too. People for whatever reason cannot see beyond the outside shot being bad right now. No how many other things he does very well as a rookie mind you. No other wider context even thinks about flashing in their brains. The jumpshot may never be a huge strength but it will get better and the ppl pretending like his handle is at its peak and will never progress have never seen nba basketball. His handle is already noticeably tighter since the season started. All that to say I agree there's no need to keep throwing the skill prognostication hat on after every game lol

RustyHarden likes this.
  11. Strawberry Gum

I didn't compare Amen to Simmons mentally. Amen looks like he is a competitive and a strong-willed player. I don't believe that he will permanently crumble under pressure like Simmons. I just think that Amen has the potential to be a very special player, and I would be very upset if his shooting would make it impossible for him to reach the heights.

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

If Amen plays like Simmons pre „layup“, that would be an absolute win. Actually Ben Simmons may be some kind fo role model for Amen to model his game after. Ben Simmons was a stud. Most of the things wrong with him is in his head. He could still be at least a fringe all-star level player, but he crumbled under the pressure and scrutiny. He didn‘t play great because teams thought he could shoot back then or because they hadn‘t have him figured out yet, he played great because he played around his weakness.

But other than being oversized guards that can‘t shoot, they aren‘t really that alike. Amen is an ultraquick athletic freak, Simmons is more of a skinny PF with great handles, vision and passing ability. I guess Amen should look more at players like Westbrook first and work like hell on his jumper.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

It seems like he has a very high dribble and tends to fumble the ball a bit.

#773 Newlin, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I know a lot of people are high on Cam, but I may start some Amen agenda pushing soon.