1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen to the BENCH

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 26, 2023.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Not to mention generally managing the org and environment for player development. LOL.

I still blame Green first and foremost. Seems like a nice enough kid, but he just doesn't have "it" to be much more than a lively, low-efficiency scorer. God but I hope we move him while we still can. Probably every game his value has declined this year.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

-Are you the general manager?

-Well I generally manage...

- :mad:

burlesk and B-Bob like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much this.

If you bench him and Green starts to mope or better yet, demand to be traded, you've effectively killed all of his trade value. Even if you believe he has little trade value when you do that it goes to near 0 because it goes from Rockets WANT to trade Green to Rockets NEED to trade Green to get him out of the clubhouse.

If the plan is to trade him this deadline or offseason then you just continue playing him as to keep him motivated and happy. It's going to hurt the team this year because of his poor play but people need to get it in their heads, this team is doing nothing this year. We'll be lucky to get swept in the first round for experience. Maximizing Jalen's value then ranks ahead of the 3-4 losses his poor play might give us and I agree with others that he's starter in name only. He's been on the bench in crucial closing minutes numerous times now.

gumbleton3, burlesk and B-Bob like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Want to see some passion off the pine.

burlesk likes this.
  5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

6. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

JG might need a change of scene for real. The tanking Silas years seem to have messed him up some. Might have to leave in order to give himself a chance to really level up... Break out of his patterns.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

At most, sure, THINK about it. But for this season there is absolutely no reason to do that. Cam or Amen isn’t going to be an improvement and Ime doesn’t like to just gift minutes to high draft picks. Jalen isn’t playing bad per se. He’s just kind of not doing much. Every several games he has a really really good quarter. The rest of the time he’s just not contributing. He tries harder on defense. But on offense we just have no well-defined role for him. And he doesn’t make the most of his touches.

Too many times he’s on a fast break with numbers and he’s pulled out or attacked at a poor angle to force defender to choose who to defend.

I want to see more play with him and Sengun. And he’s got to learn to cut harder and more deliberately.

Need some guys with wide receiver route running skills.

8. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

At this point just trade him and move on. Maybe he gets it together elsewhere, but we are trying to make the playoffs and he is one of the most inefficient players in the league. We need someone efficient. It doesn't seem like there is a long term SG available to commit big time money and assets too, but let's get Grimes or Brogden or anyone that is a plus shooter and serviceable defender. Jalen still has potential so he still has some trade value. A 19 year old Cam is outplaying the guy. He's 19. Even Aaron Holiday is outplaying him. Trade him or bench him.

jim1961 likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I get what you are saying but there’s more to it than the reality that we aren’t contend this year. Part of what made the Silas era such a disaster was the lack of accountability. Jalen just hasn’t earned the right to be starting. His teammates see his continued role as a starter and have to be shaking their head. It’s so obvious he’s still coasting off of his draft position and the investment Stone has made in him.

also, if you are trying to create a winning culture, you don’t perpetuate an environment that communicates, “we aren’t going anywhere this year, so living with players and that underperforming is okay”. If Jalen was benched it would send the right message: “everyone has to earn their playing time”.

im not questioning Ime. But I am suggesting that there continues to be a double standard with Jalen. And it’s not consistent with winning and accountability. If it’s due to front office pressure, that’s just straight up continued poor judgement by a front office that has repeatedly shown poor judgement.

Jalen is now officially a bust relative to where he was picked. Continuing to put him out there as a starter or playing big minutes only continues to erode his value. And it also hurts the team. Get rid of the softies. Cut your losses and move on. We have 5 other really good young prospects to develop.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think if the Rockets plan to trade him this deadline or offseason then it would be a pretty big mistake to then lower his value before doing so. We're not doing anything this year, if he's part of a bigger trade that helps us improve significantly then flattening his value to near nothingness is just making it all worse.

I don't think what we are doing is the same either. It's not like Jalen finishes games if he's playing bad or that we even have many options outside of him. If you bench him and he decides "F this team, trade me" then who do we have playing behind Cam? It puts us into a situation to where now he needs to be traded and we have no leverage because other teams know we need to trade him.

All this to say who knows how Jalen might react to being benched but there is a big reason why GMs all go "We have no plans on trading player X..." before trading them. It's negotiation.

If the person you are negotiating with knows you're going to get rid of the player for whatever you can get then they will hardball you and get them for as cheap as possible.

For all we went through to get that #2 pick it's not worth the risk of benching him quite frankly to me.

gumbleton3 likes this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Stupidity.

Kpj is not a pg something basically everybody aside from the kpj stans agree on but somehow that doesn't impact or influence our offense. That's like throwing any rando player at qb and blaming everybody else for sucking and not the driver of the offense.

Rn though green struggles is his own. And one could only hope he makes recovery or he isn't long for this team.

#191 DatRocketFan, Jan 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

13. YaosDirtyStache

Jettison him to a team thatll give us a great catch and shooter. Im tired of this guys bricks, terrible drives, and even worse finishes. My man has a kobe-esq work ethic for his instagram account and not basketball. Wants the fame without the game.

YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE.

Rokman and MoochiSmoochi like this.
  14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Disagree on the 6th man role. He will be expected to produce.

Cam starts and lays an egg tonight. For now cam is better coming off of the bench.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Coddling a player to prop up his trade value is exactly the type of toxic culture that Ime and the vets should be trying to get rid of. Whether you bench Jalen or not the other nba teams still have eyes and scouts. They will either want to gamble on him or not, there’s no hiding it. For this team though, it is unequivocal that we would be better with Jalen playing off the bench, the less minutes the better.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I actually think they are looking at moving Jalen. I think thats why hes still starting.

MystikArkitect and Melik like this.
  17. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Ben Simmons has one the hardest work ethic during off time on his social media

Melik likes this.
  18. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Cam was gassed from last night playing long mins. He is not used to playing heavy minutes since he’s been riding bench all season and it was only 2nd game he played over 20 mins. We could already see he was not playing well around 4th quarter in Jazz game and that continue today. He still need dozen games to learn how to control his stamina

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

Other NBA teams with their advanced scouting teams are not stupid to see Green is not a NBA star. So propping up his trade value is just wishful thinking. There is nothing to be propped up in his case. His shot selection is horrendous and is not reliable shooting 3s and yet takes them like he is a marksman. He is more detrimental in key moments than his contribution. No one is going to be fooled. I say just cut him loose. Looks like that’s happening.

Melik and maypk like this.
  20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Agreed on the stamina part. Still think at this point he’s better served being instant offense off of the bench. Do I think his future with the team is being a very productive and successful starter? Absolutely.

Plowman likes this.