1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green and Whitmore off the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jan 17, 2024.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Keep in mind, more than anything else, what has decreased our pace vs last year is a decrease in turnovers. FVV’s very low turnovers actually makes our possessions last longer than KPJ and Green last year.

Also, our defense is (or was) #1 in the league at making the opponents go deep into their shot clock.

tl/dr our low turnovers and defense make our Pace slower, too

Easy, Moe, clutchdabear and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We are at an impasse on this subject. I think Amen will be ready for heavy minutes next year, you don’t. We didn’t really have an alternative to spending our money for two years. No other team was going to give 40m plus. That is why they have a way out next year. FVV has always been a stopgap for us.

Stephen_A likes this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I just described to you specifically what he does and doesn’t do. I was asking about specifics in terms of basketball such as missed assignments, not switching, not communicating etc. What you are describing is again very vague. And again what does right look like or should be? I can tell you specifically he gets lower in his stance on defense this year. He stays in front of his assignment for the most part. And he gets in the right position fir defense. Not all NBA players are great on ball defenders and certainly it’s a growth process. SGA and Booker were not good defenders early in their careers but developed and grew into being better defensively and more complete players. Curry has made strides as well.

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

What I just described to you is not reacting, not helping, and not boxing out.

At this point, I think we've established that by "very vague," you mean "specific observations about Jalen Green that don't fit the story I want to tell about him."

And I hope your story turns out to be true. But let's not pretend that you're being specific and we're not.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I would agree with that and have said this in the past. This is the first iteration of this team in building a contender. Teams go through a couple of iterations before they actually contend. People point to OKC and Orlando and those teams had to progress to get where they are. Orlando has a mix of seasoned vets and young players much like the current Rockets. Some of their core players have been together for 4-5 years. Harris, Okeke, Mo Wagner, carter jr, Cole Anthony have played together for 4 years. Fultz and Issac 5 years. Fultz is a 7 year vet, ingles 10, and carter 6. They had a losing season with Clifford prior to Jamahl Murray taking over and have had 2 losing seasons and playing around .500 ball this year.

Again it’s a process. Players grow and evolve and the coaching staff does as well. And GM’s find the right additions each year. It’s a culmination of all these things that work together to produce a contender. It’s not easy it’s not quick. OKC had 3 losing seasons before finally breaking out this year with some core players who have been together for several years and a stud who have been in the league 6 years and mentored by some of the best basketball people including Doc Rivers and CP3.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

you mentioned feet placement. What does right feet placement look like? What does not paying attention to the play around him mean? You described him guarding a player on the baseline and not paying attention to the play around him. Do you know that you’re not supposed to ball watch on the baseline? We are taught to keep eyes on the player on the baseline while turning ur head slightly using peripherals to look for other players or the ball coming. Again not sure specifically the situation you are describing but if you’re talking about baseline defense that’s what you’re supposed to do. Does he never box out? I haven’t really seen this. If he doesn’t box out how does he grab 4.6 boards a game? I would imagine you would have to have some box out skills and toughness to grab 4.6 boards.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen is not BOXING out to get his boards, come on now.

He is coming in from the outside and jumping to get the ones that are bouncing out hard.

DD

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Jalen has improved his rebounding. He couldn’t block out a stork if he tried. His rebounding is not the problem. It is his shooting and strength. He could improve both of those coming off the bench. He should not be starting anymore.

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I would disagree with you. That might be the case for some rebounds but not all.

10. DaDakota

Ok, his job is to score, I don't need his rebounding - I want him to score efficiently and he sucks at it.

He needs to be benched, or limited significantly until he figures out how to be a winning player.

DD

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

For who? I hope you don’t say Cam. For those pushing for Cam he isn’t a 2 guard. Different skill sets.

1. Cam doesn’t pass. Avg 0.7 asst per game in college and 0.3 in NBA. This was the concern coming into the draft. The man just isn’t a facilitator.

2. He hasn’t shown he can make the same reads and plays off the dribble. Jalen has shown he can make these plays off the dribble drive passing to guys at the short corner or in the paint or high screen and roll with Sengun. Cam is more a north south attack guy. Not so much playmaker setting people up.

3. Cam misses assignments consistently. He leaves his man in the wings or corners for the action in the paint very often. He doesn’t guard proper people. One example laser game vs Knicks. He was guarding the right wing. Green guarded the corner. The offense switched. Green’s man came up while Cam’s came down. Cam was supposed to stay there and guard the man coming up not the guy going down. These things matter. And that’s why Cam isn’t starting.

Is Green playing great? No. As I said he needs to be aggressive and not overthink about making the right reads or deferring too much to FVV or Sengun. Also needs more physicality. And try to perfect that 15 ft elbow shot. But the effort is there. The desire is there. The potential is there. And like it or not he’s the Rockets best option at 2 guard.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's so weird to say "different skill sets" when talking about a player that has no skills other than running fast and jumping high.

Oh, Cam doesn't pass? Jalen can't really do that either....and you don't really want that from SG....you want them to be able to shoot and score efficiently.

Jalen brings literally nothing positive to the table, with Cam, at least he can space the floor by being a competent shooter and he can finish strong at the rim.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  13. DaDakota

Cam is a SG/SF - same role that Jalen is supposed to fill.

1. I want him to score efficiently - he avg 3 apg in the Gleague he can pass - he just doesn't have to
    2. He makes excellent reads, he attacks quickly, he isn't a mumbler who fears his own shadow
    3. Yes, just like Jalen, on D they both need work, but Cam is a much better on the ball defender, so starts further along that Green

You are right, Green isn't playing great - Cam is....better player plays.

Hell KPJ would have taken Jalen's spot if where still here, and Jalen would be fighting for backup minutes....probably crying in his green tea.

DD

14. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jalen Green is dragging this team down if they bring in a good shooter and Cam play at least 25 minutes a game, we would be more efficient and WE WOULD NOT MISS HIM.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Oh ok do you have examples? I clearly stated examples and rationale. Can you please state yours?

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Where did you get Cam was a guard? Where does that info come from? At Villanova he played the 4 with Caleb Daniels and Eric Dixon at Guards. He is listed on NBA .COM and ESPN as a Forward. He plays 3 for Udoka. Really don’t get why people are saying he’s a 2 guard. Again it comes down to ability, size, and skill set.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Examples of what? That Jalen Green can't shoot? He currently has a 52.7% TS% and is only shooting 33.1% from 3....both career lows, but they are still well in line with what he's been his whole career.

He's got a 3/2 assist to TO ratio, in line with what it has been his whole career.

Explain to me what you think he can actually do at an NBA level.

ThrillaNManilla likes this.
  18. ThrillaNManilla

ThrillaNManilla Contributing Member

Don't bother with Stephen_A. Dude lives in an alternate reality because he cannot accept the reality that Jalen Green sucks balls at every aspect of basketball.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Nevermind man. Here’s the issue. When I talk about players I specifically point out what they’re doing and what they’re not doing on the court based on what I know from playing in the past and based on basketball principles and what I learned along the way reading and watching the game. I use in game examples and talk very specific in detail. I also use numbers to further support my reasoning. Many fans on this site talk in generalities, conjecture, and judgment without supporting evidence. And the ones that offer some evidence usually cite a few normalized metrics such as per 36 and plus minus. Metrics isn’t the end all be all but can help support an assessment. There’s also historical context and current environmental among other factors that affect assessments. But It’s all good tho bro. Be well.

#139 Stephen_A, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No I live in a world where I reserve judgment, hatred, and emotion from my analysis and assessments of players. I also live in a world where I use my playing experience, knowledge, and facts to support my beliefs.