1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Actually, yeah, I think the Pacers would be a great fit for him. They're fast, don't care much about defense, he'd probably fit right in with them. The only problem is that they actually shoot well. So....

2. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

IND decline Jarace Walker in the trade with Siakam and gave up future first round picks, there’s no way we get Walker for Jalen. Only team that are willing to take Jalen is Wizard since only player worse than Jalen is Jordan Poole and he even got the bad contract

3. NewAge

NewAge Member

Interesting, I didnt know that. they're not using Jarace, though, why? This is very strange, I thought he'd be one of the better players in this draft. So far my other "picks" have hit: Cason Wallace, Jordan Hawkins, Podziemski... Walker situation is strange.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Green/Siakam
    with 3 elite shooters around them, including Turner being guarded by the rim protector at the 3PT line or having a wide open 3
    in a fast pace with Haliburton
    taking the fewest midrange shots in the NBA (while leading the league in midrange efficiency), would limit Jalen to close 3's and aggressive drives
    Dramatically more transition, alley oop opportunities which would immediately bring his efficiency up

He would be taking much fewer 3PTers in favor of drives, that would improve his efficiency too. Beating his defender above the break would be 90% of the fight rather than absorbing contact in a crowded paint. He's just not good at this weight and experience level at absorbing contact and finishing at a good rate. However that's clearly going to be part of his future the moment he's put on enough muscle and repetition to do that.

For sure Jalen would look better over there but I think the Pacers have taken it to an extreme out of necessity. I don't think they have the winning formula, I prefer to teach a young team defense first. I'm very happy we've rounded Green's game out a little bit at least and he actually showed decent progress in half a season. We should borrow some stuff from the Pacers offense and get our pace from 23rd closer to 10-15th. I really think that will enable all 13 other players to help FVV-Sengun more often. Our offense you can catch and shoot or you need a ton of skill to score. In transition and space, effort and speed come into play a lot more often. We have lots of fast and hard working guys ready to help.

I think Udoka will get it. Doing some research on his Boston season, there are a lot of parallels. It took him time to figure out some obvious things but he figured it out around the mid point of the season. I've heard him mention pace twice in the past few weeks, hadn't heard him mention it before. I've heard him be critical of FVV for the first time, that's a first. What's good about Udoka is I'm sure he's telling everyone exactly what they need to do to get better. What I hope is that he also takes notes from player feedback, especially any ideas to help Cam/Jalen/Amen/Jabari contribute more and push us up the offensive rankings.

#1304 Mathloom, Jan 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I largely agree with lot of the criticism of Green this season and have been disappointed with him dating back to last season, despite others insisting everything is fine and dandy - but this video is pretty deceptive?

1) by overlaying the music track and cutting the videos off you can't tell how many of the flailing shots after contact ended up called fouls and being continuations to get FTs

2) by using the vertical view you can't see the shot/game clock, at least one of these looks like a desperation heave with no other option

I mean, the worst Green shots to me aren't a aesthetically bad, they're just normal bricks or attempts to finish over multiple players even though he's just not a good finisher at the rim over 2.5 seasons now, again something that was apparent last season.

6. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

I read, just thought that was Jalens trajectory the same as Cam Thomas ending up as a bench player cause he is a negative to the team. I think benching Jalen isn't a sign the Rockets are giving up on him. It could be a good wake up call for him. he needs to realize he has to work harder on his game or he could end up at the end of the bench or even worse out of the league.

I am still not 100% convinced Whitmore is a starter yet, he still has a lot to learn especially when it comes to defensive rotations. Playing with the starters could speed up his timeline though.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

it’s because he’s not singing in English boomer

plegus likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Was mentioning this same thing yesterday to my wife. Green seems like your modern day Gen-Z narcissist. Likes glitz and glam and then runs to use the pity/mental health card on social media whenever things get tough. He's done it before and he did it again yesterday.

ramotadab, NewAge and gumbleton3 like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, good thing I don't have my wife around to mention it to her.......:p

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Green would be electric in Indy. They are the closest thing we've seen to the 7SOL Suns.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just like when the Suns would be electric with Tmac.

Good thing he never played there.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Personally? No. But that's his value best-case, certainly.

My issue is continually letting him start and continually hurting the team because he's given significant minutes despite being one of the worst players in the rotation.

ramotadab and maypk like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Someone like the Clippers would but they have exhausted all their draft picks and Jalen Green is not a Win Now player.

BaselineFade and ramotadab like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Complete mental gymnastics. Greens problem is not system based. Greens problems are fundementals basketball problems, as in he can't make any open jump shots with any consistency, he will lose his dribble randomly in a drive, and he misses layups that a typical NBA guard shouldn't miss.

Those issues are universal, whether you are playing in Indiana, Houston or Europe. There is no system that just allows Jalen to run and catch lobs all day and have open lanes for him to drive and dunk. You think NBA defenses are stupid, they will play Green the same way they always play him.

Also Green played a high pace fast break offense for two years under Silas, he bricked most of his open 3's and was inefficient.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

FVV would stifle Cam’s game. We need a vet sg that can hit spot up threes and play defense to be the starter. Not only do we get an advantage this year, we allow Amen, Jalen, Cam, and Tari to develop synergy and creat absolute Kaos with our second unit. FVV is a stop gap and will be traded next year.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that he should not start. My "different angles" is to explore ways to make him a more useful player, either as a Rocket player or as a trade chip, rather than just letting his value evaporate. If Udoka's continuing starting Jalen is to up his trade value, it's not working. It's actually working in the opposite direction. I don't think Ime is that dumb. Maybe he has some pressure from the FO.

I just don't think we can get much for him by trading him. If we are not willing to give a mediocre FRP for him, other GMs probably aren't either. The best we can hope for as he is now is as a salary filler (with a little hope for his possible potential) in a bigger deal involving a star or semi-star player.

I see a lot of posters just say, "He's bad. Get rid of him!" Some even seem exhilarated when Jalen does bad to confirm their dislike of him. That's not good for the team at all.

ramotadab, Hemingway and Roomba like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think the reason Jalen is starting is simply because we don't have any alternatives. When Jalen was losing his minutes in crunch time, he was losing it to Tari Eason. I think if Eason and Brooks weren't out, Green would have his minutes cut significantly in the past couple of weeks.

I don't see a fix for Jalen this season, it's not like he's going to suddenly fix his jumper. I think the Rockets may give him another off season to take some roids and revamp his shot. I think if by this time next year he's still playing the same way, we would probably start lowballing him with mle level extensions or package him as a negative asset in a trade.

But it also depend on if we can find another shooting guard to replace him, whether it's Cam or someone else. In my opinon Cam is more of a pure scoring SF than a true shooting guard.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I agree that we don't have a lot of alternatives at the 2 spot. I haven't seen enough of Cam's ball handling to know if he can be a full-time guard. My gut feeling is that Cam would be better than Brooks at that position, as some people advocate for sliding Brooks to the 2 and start Tari at the 3.

We may trade for a starting SG next year if Jalen doesn't improve at all. I suggested to try him at the KJ Martin role, a dunker off cutting and occasional open 3s. It looks like using him as a secondary ball handler and scorer is not working at all.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

66 pages and Mathgreen got redeemed yet?

ramotadab and Corrosion like this.
  20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

These threads are so cringe. Can't believe they got so many likes.

ramotadab likes this.