1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Pascal Siakam as a Pacer thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Jan 17, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

How did they give up a lot it's two low frps for next year's draft and their 2026th pick. That's nothing lol. They even get a 2nd rounder back lmao.

Brown is more than disposable he is only a 12 ppg scorer and they got wings for days to replace him. They prob happy to see him go cuz he makes 2M per pt he scores a game.

Williamson likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Indy made a move and now wait for the others to follow suit.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One of Myles or Siakam has to play the man down low.......probably Myles.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You have to look at it beyond basketball. If there was no such thing as a salary cap then fine go get Siakam. But can you really win a ring if Siakam makes 40% of your salary cap? Plus he's a terrible 3pt shooter and he's going to ruin the spacing for Halliburton.

Teams usually get in trouble when they over pay for players. Siakam will never be worth his next contract. Also while I feel soo neutral about our rockets. FVV is a good player but vastly overpaid. Will he resign with us for less?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Raptors had Siakam for the end of the season and they weren't making the playoffs in the East with him. One can say they made a mistake holding onto Siakam for so long, but at the time of the trade, they are damn lucky to get 3 FRPs even if they aren't good FRPs. For someone who has been opposed to guaranteeing he will stay with team he is traded to, Raptors got a lot for his Bird Rights.

There is a big difference between Top 50 and Top 180 (i.e., worse than every starter-6th man). I have a hard time thinking a 16-25 team has Scottie Barnes, OG Anunuby prior to his trade, and that Siakam is an unquestionable Top 50 player. I think Siakam helps the Pacers, but for 3 FRPs (even crappy ones and probably $200M (assuming Siakam re-signs), I'd expect more help than Siakam. Maybe Indiana has to do this because they are Indiana, but this is an expensive deal that probably makes it harder for them to make other significant moves (i.e., this move needs to make them a contender with the Boston's of the world).

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hard disagree. They'll extend him. And they had no other avenue to add a star. Nobody is going there in free agency, nor did they have the cap room to add a max guy anyway. They put together a strong squad there. Especially if Mathurin or Walker break out in the next few years. Additionally, they've found a superstar in Haliburton, but now it's on them to keep him happy. Haliburton is apparently friends with Siakam. I think this was the move they had to make, and I think they'll be a very good team.

It's weird to me that some of you guys think they traded for him without getting confirmation he would extend. Even Woj reported they had confirmed that.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

From the outside, if he plays well, it is a win, it all depends on how well the player adapts and plays....but Hali Potter will help.

The Pacers do not really lack shooters with the Number 1 Potent Offense.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is a gamble a franchise like the Pacers had to take. Simple as that. If they use Toppin, Jalen Smith and/or Hield to upgrade at SF, that would be great.

Don't underestimate Kevin Pritchard.

daywalker02 and Williamson like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not mind a smaller team like Indy making it to the ECF or Finals again at all.

Interesting that the 4th/5th Place in the East are doing this race ...

NY: Trading Grimes, Fournier, picks and scraps
    Indy: Trading Toppin, Smith, Hield, scraps

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Low frps turn out to be busts or minimum guys most of the time so regardless what you think of Siakam I don't think low frps are worth a lot esp since two of those in next year draft. Imagine you traded Siakam for Garuba, Josh Christopher and Tyty Wash I don't think anybody here will say that's a lot.

Indiana already beat Boston without Siakam so this Def helps them out since Siakam is an upgrade over Jalen Smith and they are still keeping Smith. I think max contracts get too much of a bad rap as we have seen with FVV you can pay a non max guy max money and still end up better for it. The real cap killers arent the max deals they are the super max deals like the one Zion and Ben Simmons have and Pacers are lucky they don't have to deal with that problem.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Better than the Kings without Siakam.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. PhiSlammaJamma

The Pacers blown tire tonight not good. A loss to the lowest of the low, the blazers.