1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LMJ aint doing any bullpen stints unless something seriously went haywire in his rehab (and even then, he would be more of a liability than an asset).

And I applaud your conviction to still burn the candle that Whitley will one day be an MLB big leaguer, let alone an actual effective one that can stay healthy.

They'll probably bring in at least one more established vet and there's still a possibility that one of Garcia/Urquidy/Javier ends up doing more bullpen work than starting work next year.

2. ktex

ktex Member

Sure is quiet here considering!!

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The real question is now that they’re over the tax does crane keep going or was this a one-off (or worse, will crane now force Brown to dump salary elsewhere to get back under).

4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Indeed this is the question. Along with “does this mean Bregman is absolutely gone?”

I’m optimistic that on the tax for this year it means he will keep going (the compensatory pick excuse is gone, and I don’t think there is a realistic and non suicidal way to get back under). But I also believe there is no chance for Alex now.

5 years all guaranteed must mean he intends to compete a while longer though … or just assumes he can trade the deal.

Any way you cut it, this has huge ramifications for the “window.”

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They gave him a full no-trade clause too. This contract is either a sign that Crane is fully committed to competing for at least the next 4 seasons, or Crane is foolish.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  6. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Probably Crane wants to stay under the first level. If they do salary dump to get completely under the tax for the year, no reason to do it until close to the trade deadline. Trading graveman gets you almost halfway there.

if you plan to sign Bregman I don’t see any reason to stay under the tax. I could see why you’d want to salary dump if you don’t plan to extend him though.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Some more comes off the books going into 2025. They can still sign extensions for players and manipulate the AAV accordingly. And if they don't go deep in the playoffs this year or the starting pitching struggles more, there may not be a lot of reason to keep this going anyways.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Hell yes. That's all I need to say.

#3368 IdStrosfan, Jan 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  9. toby

toby Member

This also gives you room to dump Montero at the deadline (and gives you a few months to see what these other AAAA arms have).

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

LOVE seeing Crane push his chips ALL in!!!

They've already seen how valuable it is to have a lock down pen. Pitchers and catchers report to camp in less than a month.

everyday eddie likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think Urquidy is the most likely player on Houston’s roster to be traded.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or you keep him and realize that he actually had decent stretches last year... optimize his mechanics back to where he was in 2022... then you have a very valuable 6th inning guy.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm obviously thrilled to add the talent, and see Crane actually spend over the threshold.

But, if he was willing to do that I think there were safer investments than this. I will be curious to see how they handle closing games, will it be a true split or will Pressly be reduced to occasional closer.

Needless to say Pressly hasn't done a damn thing to lose that role.

ryan_98 and Snake Diggit like this.
  14. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

CBT calculations are done at the end of the year, plenty of time to dump salary.

desihooper likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He really hasn't... but you also can't ignore his age, the mileage, his previous injury/surgery history, and this is the last year he's signed for.

And the team probably knows more as far as his current spin rates or true medicals. As it is, plenty here were speculating that Abreu would be taking over that role at some point.

In the end, good teams try to solve or fix a problem BEFORE it becomes a real problem. The Astros being pro-active for the back end of their bullpen now is absolutely a killer-type move.

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

There is no losing a role.

There are 162 games in a season and Pressly pitched in 65

That leaves 97 that he didn't pitch in.

There are plenty of innings for both (and Abreu)

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The $3 million that Urquidy makes or eating $10 of the 13 million owed to Monteron to facilitate a trade aren't going to be that big of a negative splash if it comes to that...

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I agree with that 100% in theory, but we all know being "the" closer is a thing and a dedicated position in the hierarchy.

Maybe they split duties, maybe Pressly (or both) is OK dropping down to setup man, but it's naïve to act like all innings are created equal.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Signing Hader puts the CBT payroll at just under $256 or $19M over tier 1.

It comes with $3.8M CBT penalty.

From $257-277M the penalty is 32%.

Now go out and spend another $10M to get a bat who can start at 1B, LF, and DH 3-5 games per week vs RHP and this team could be the best Astros team ever.

About $6.3M in penalties but leave about $11M in space to add at the trade deadline before additional sanctions.

cmlmel77, Wulaw Horn and The Beard like this.
  20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

or Crane is planning on selling one or two seasons down the road.

prospecthugger likes this.