1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

New rankings every week I guess :rolleyes:

raining threes likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I wouldn't laugh at and totally disregard those things.

3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What? You can’t go through each round and all of a sudden you’re playing the No. 1 defense.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

"When you're hot, you're hot. When you're not, you're not" -- Jerry Reed

Cleveland D was on the downslope past few weeks but they were #1 for a while, and I have no idea whatsoever what to expect from the Ravens.

ROCKSS likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I also think the Browns came in cocky AF thinking they would dominate because of the first go round. They had no idea what to do when they got smashed by that Texans truck.

The Texans had an answer for everything.

6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

So the Ravens are saying we have the No. 1 offense/defense?

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I thought he schemed Keenum well in the Tennessee game; honestly, the decision to start him - and not Mills - was the big problem there.

Fans think they know more than they do because all they see is the result of a play. If he's getting interest from literally every team with a HC opening, it's clear he's very highly-regarded among NFL people. Yes, some of that is leaning on Stroud. But look around Stroud: Collins has emerged as a top 10 WR; Dell was on his way to a breakout rookie season; Singletary is running like a top 5 RB; he has worked around continuous injuries on the OL...

And, again - I will never pretend to know what's what and who's who - but, man, the # of throws CJ makes where WRs are wide open..... it happens *a lot* and that is scheme. He absolutely worked the Browns over, and many consider Jim Schwartz 1 of the greatest defensive coaches in NFL history.

He's had a terrific year as an OC.

8. Qan

Qan Member

Slowik has definitely grown as an OC, and it seemed he had dived deep into his creative mind and had great gameplans these last few weeks. Hope he continues it this weekend and CJ continues to throw amazing passes.

Opportunities like these are rare, and even if it was suppose to be a foundation year, since we're here why not go for broke? The future is always unknown.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

People bagging on Slowik early needed to let things ride a bit. You don’t know what you have out there until you see guys perform. Hell, Pierce came in as the feature back, the O-Line was in shambles from the jump. You had no idea what CJ could or could not handle. Not sure anyone expected Tank to do Tank things.

Fans expected too much too quickly. Slowik seems to be able to game plan with what he has now better because, well, he knows what he has.

10. Hey Now!

I heard Seth Payne mention this... most of the Texans good players are both young and they've experienced bad coaching prior to this year. So the coaching staff has moved slower because young players/rookies can get REALLY confused if you throw too much at them.

He specifically mentioned the video going around of Ryans telling Harris where to go for the pick-6 - he offers that might've been too much earlier because these guys have, like, eight dozen assignments and reads and if this guy does this, then I do that.... He thinks the defense's progression is tied to DeMeco having more opportunities to really roll up his sleeves and *coach.*

So, yeah - they were more vanilla early. But once they figured out Stroud was advanced by any and all expectations, and once they developed trust in the offense around him knowing their assignments, etc., the game plan evolved.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Think we are seeing the collective idea that Slowik has improved and its due or die time.

I just ask that Slowik does one thing which is the same as last week.

I want us to win or die because of CJ.

Arguably, CJ hasn't lost us a game all year when he has been allowed to sling it.

clos4life likes this.
  12. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I felt that Jacksonville home game, CJ was try to play hero ball a a little too much holding onto it too much through the game…. I wouldn’t put the lost on him.

david_rocket likes this.
  13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Yeah, I was at that game, and tried to do too much, especially on a drive they were 3rd and 1, and 4th and 1, and Stroud both times tried to throw a 20 yard pass, and also the last drive, Stroud took 2 sacks because he held the ball too long, that made the FG more difficult, but also because of Stroud, they almost won the game.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

After watching JT O'Sullivans' QB analysis of CJ Stroud against the Browns, I got more impressed with what Slowik was doing. There were multiple plays where several Texans WR were open. CJ could have picked from 3 options, all of which would have been completions.

We've never had a OC capable of scheming guys open before Slowik came around, and he absolutely killed the Browns Saturday.

15. Hey Now!

Yep. If there's a compilation of CJ highlights from the year, take note of how often he's throwing to a clean WR. The one that immediately jumps to mind is the TD to Beck - I'm not sure I've ever seen a WR *that* open... well, yes - the Packer TE this past weekend - but prior to that? And it was on the goal line, where it's nearly impossible to have some *schemed* that wide open.

I'm telling you: fans judge an offense solely by its black-and-white results. But coaches and front offices see beyond that. It isn't an accident CJ Stroud is having the greatest rookie season of all-time. Yes, he's very good. But he is also in a system that is making it easy for him. There's a reason literally every team with a coaching vacancy wants to talk to him.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

17. Qan

Qan Member

Hope he has his gameplan done and ready

clos4life and raining threes like this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

20. Qan

Qan Member

He's prob going to do 2nd interviews immediately if the Texans lose this Saturday. Hope Johnson is ready to take over OC...or they find someone (K. Kubiak?) to take over.