1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Conversation Hogs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 16, 2024.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Totally agree, my boss and I have a one on one each month, just to "check in", scheduled for 30 min and we end up BSing for 5 minutes and then a quick "everything is fine" and then we end the call, but I have to block out 30 min for something that I could e-mail him about........I suggested once a quarter but he wants it monthly..................WASTE OF TIME

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  2. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Who's ever meeting it is should be able to manage this. You just need to add structure to the meeting.

Provide an agenda with estimated times for those agenda items. If it starts to go over on time for an agenda item say "sorry team we need to move one, in the interest of time". If the intent is to be more collaborative, you can call on people you think might have something important to say on the topic before this person interjected.

If no one else has anything important to say, shorten the meeting and give the time back.

clos4life and Xerobull like this.
  3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I hate meeting draggers. Get in, get out. No need for all that babble. Is he trying to make himself look good? Is it pertinent to the meeting? Is it necessary. If not, I pull him aside. I’m pretty straight forwd with people.

I have never had a problem voicing how I feel with higher ups.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Or it's because us quiet ones know the person blabbing incessantly doesn't know what the f*** they're talking about and and that we'll be doing all the work anyway.

SuraGotMadHops and clos4life like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I do things like "okay, let's bring in some other voices on this." I mean, kinda obvious but not rude and others really appreciate it. I've also singled people out privately and said I appreciate their astute contributions but we need to make more space for other people and to move more quickly through our topics.

The phenomenon you describe is basically every meeting with university faculty. I hate it but am told I run a good meeting. Probably because I hate the meetings and everyone in them.

EDIT: And yes, I've often talked to people this way who out-rank me.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

"Okay, we can always take this offline."

Translation - I actually have no intention whatsoever of talking with you about this later. Just shut up so I can keep this meeting moving.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, "that's a really interesting topic... for another meeting... at another company... in a different decade." :D

ima_drummer2k and Xerobull like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My company has a meeting-optional rule. If I don't think the meeting is useful, I don't go.

clos4life likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What would George from "Seinfeld" do? Do that!

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How's that working out? I always thought those were kind of funny. The people that actually know what's going on generally don't show up leaving the people that don't know what's going on or just feel like taking a break showing up and discussing about things most there can't answer.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly you need to know the dynamics, and that includes how you are viewed and the personality of who keeps hogging the conversation.

In the past I have literally said: "Do you ever stop talking? We get you in front of a group of people and you just don't stop."

However - I was known for being very blunt and I knew the person I called out was above me but also did not want conflict and generally liked me. They did not ramble on anymore.

If it is someone that is generally good hearted, you can bring it up to them in private in a conversation. I have done this as well. You would just wait for the right time and say something like - "You talk a lot in front of a group of people. Do you get nervous? If you do I can understand."

If the person is an *******, just stay out of it and watch Latvian p*rn on your phone until the meeting ends.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Sounds like the meeting facilitator is weak. Have an agenda and the facilitator should stick to it.

In the agenda, I also clarify exactly what decisions/requests are being covered so we clearly understand what's the point.
    This makes it clear who should be doing most of the talking. This also fixes the issue of decision makers not showing up. If a key person doesn't show, we can agree to reschedule or make the decision without them.

Meetings where no decisions are made are usually low value meetings, aka status meetings.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

"swish" up and down the halls?

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cut him off, "thank" him for his "valuable contribuition". Gaslight him and the "contribution".

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Meetings with other depts aren't that critical to my own work. So it works fine for me. I imagine elsewhere in the company there is still social pressure and fear of looking unprofessional that keeps people coming to meetings.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

I agree with several posters regarding agendas, must have with time limits. Also, create meeting rules where a person gets allotted only a certain amount to speak in each subject and have a strong timekeeper that will even call for time and moving on as needed. Review those rules before every meeting, for people that like to break them no matter how tedious.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I dunno - I think you should tell him that the jerk store called and that they’re running out of you.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Love this rule.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You're probably joking but I've also found this actually works.

People who blabber in meetings are usually good for the occasional "we need to do XYZ" or "Someone should manage ABC". I usually just put them down as the owner of that task/action/project and check on the progress of the project they recommended. They either start being more quiet or get so busy with BS work that they essentially created for themselves they don't have time to pontificate.

B-Bob and pasox2 like this.