1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Well, ****. They really do need to make a move. Time to cast aside the CBT fear and go all in. Sign Hader, Montgomery, and Bellinger. ;)

I wonder if they had any insurance on that $8M Graveman is owed.

I think any salary paid to a player on the IL should be exempt from CBT calculations.

everyday eddie, ryan_98 and Radricky like this.
  2. SuraGotMadHops

For effs sake, so the organization knew he was coming into this season with questionable health and went for the dumpster dive approach to bullpen arms all offseason???

This is like not picking up any SP depth last offseason after JV walked and Lance's health was in question.

I am starting to get frustrated as hell with the complacency.

ryan_98 and Radricky like this.
  3. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I would sign Neris for a 1-year deal. There is no way I am committing multiple years to a 35 year old reliever.

Nook likes this.
  4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Blame the owner. He doesn't want to pay what it takes to win. He should sell the organization because he's becoming Jerrah Jones. Now that the Texans have figured things out, Crane is going to figure out what it is like to be 2nd fiddle in a football town. I think he eventually sells once he gets the entertainment district built around the ballpark.

5. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Yeah I'm sure if Neris was willing to do a 1 year deal, he would have been signed by now. Sounds like it's over term.

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Glad to see everyone jumping onboard what I have been saying. A bunch of AAA/AAAA arms isn't sufficient for a World Series contending team. I always wondered why people were just assuming Graveman was good to go. He missed the playoffs and shoulder injuries for pitchers always carry a huge risk. See Urquidy the last 2 years.

everyday eddie and Radricky like this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Graveman will be the Michael Brantley of 2025 isn't he...?

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't know what is with this Graveman situation, but if they knew he was gonna require surgery bullpen should have been a priority.

They still have time to address it, but after Pressly and Abreu we don't have a single guy who we can say for sure won't be a dumpster fire. We need another proven MLB arm. Not necessarily a door slammer, but something.

10. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

100%, you want 2-3 core relievers that have proven they are not volatile from season to season. The rest of the bullpen should be guys that are arb eligible that you develop in your system, trade for with multiple years of club control, or a slew of vets you can get on 1-year deals for a few million.
    You should never give a long term deal to a pitcher like Montero again. So far, the next bullpen guy that has earned a long-term deal from the Astros is Abreu.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Forrest Whitley will save us.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Neris Is a FA - he gets to say " no" and he already said it specifically to get a multi-year deal.

13. Screaming Fist

Did anyone really expect Graveman to be anything other than a bad to mediocre reliever this season? They can replace him with someone from the minors or some scrap heap signing and likely be better for it.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A mediocre reliever has value, even if he posted a low 4 ERA.

No, you can't just add anybody from the scrap heap and have them do that. Scrap heap players are more likely to give you an ERA up in the 5's with frequent meltdowns.

15. ktex

ktex Member

This year is going to be a massive downer. Thank God for the Texans.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I did. He and Montero were the reason I was OK with Brown completing the bullpen with high ceiling/low low floor risky young guys.

Not Abreu level, but Maton level.

Now this team NEEDS an experienced 7-8th inning guy even if Montero returns to 2022 form.

And since they are going over CBT anyway, might as well sign Belt to start 1 day per week at 1B and 1 day a week at DH to give Abreu and Meyers days off vs tough RHP.

1 yr /$8M w/ player option for $4M w/$1M b/o.

$9M guarantee, $6M AAV, and Belt only takes the option for $3M difference if he's injured.

#3196 IdStrosfan, Jan 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  17. Screaming Fist

He was hot garbage last season and his sinker and slider (his meat and potatoes pitches when he was good) are crap now. Guy was literally below replacement level last year.

18. Screaming Fist

Shawn Dubin, who has certainly not set the world on fire in SL, has better projections than Graveman for 2024 lmao.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Yall are worrying too much. We are fine. We have enough arms in the organization to be fine and if we don’t we can get them at the trade deadline.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He had a 3.12 ERA, baseball is played on the field not a fangraphs page.

cbass, Nook and The Beard like this.