1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] What should the Rockets do at the SG spot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MystikArkitect, Jan 15, 2024.

?

What should the Rockets do at SG?

1. Start Cam over Green. Sign a Cam backup in the offseason.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Trade for a starting caliber SG at the deadline

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Ride Green for the rest of the season, sign a starting caliber replacement in the offseason.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Don't worry about it and let Cam/Green compete this offseason for it. Keep developing them.

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. MystikArkitect

Outside of backup Center, this is our biggest position of concern for reasons we all know. So was curious to see where everyone stands on how to best address this position.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do not worry, keep blood pressure low, go with Cameron......

ramotadab likes this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

rox should abolish the sg position and go with either 2 pg's or 2 sf's

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

The core is 20/21 years old. You don't win NBA titles with 22 year old stars so we shouldn't make reactionary moves aimed at a moonshot of winning the 2025 title when we can keep it organic and be a good team for the next 10 years. It looks more and more like Green isn't the answer, but I'm quite content to keep it rolling, get to the end of the season, and assess the future then rather than jumping into a short-term fix for a long-term problem.

5. AmenTheSuperstar

Trade for a SG, a player similar to Bogdan Bogdanovic, who embodies the role of a combo guard and can shoot the ball. However, this trade may require the team to part ways with Jalen. I wish that Jalen could turn things around. I still hope like a fool.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

how many threads of these do we need?

napalm06, daywalker02 and comrade like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Brooks. Move Eason to SF, Cam is 6th man

Trade Jalen for a future 1st, trade for a backup C using Landale / Dipo + 2nds. I’d go for Olynyk

FVV / Holiday
    Brooks / Thompson / Bullock
    Eason / Whitmore
    Smith / Green / Tate
    Sengun / Olynyk / Boban

Both starters and bench get bigger, Olynyk is the facilitator off the bench allowing us to reduce FVVs minutes, Olynyk brings shooting to the backup unit to add space for Thompson, Bullock can sub for Thompson if we need additional shooting, Tate as a situational backup and for injuries/foul trouble, Whitmore full blown offensive 6th man role, Boban still in full blown towel waver role for team moral.

[​IMG]

8. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Mine is not a prediction but if FO trade a startling SF, that’s saying a lot about their confidence in JG develop in the same timeline with Alpi, Bari and others. At that point, JG and FO gotta make a decision if his future is with Rockets or not

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been interested in discussing this issue.

Bo6 and napalm06 like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah if Jalen is moved I'd prefer moving Tari to the starting lineup with Brooks moving to the 2. Start games with a heavy defensive/FredShenhub balance, and have Cam/Amen come off the bench with a decent backup 5 added at the deadline.

If Jalen is staying (which seems highly likely) I think you aren't likely to see much change at all. If Jalen is getting moved to the bench I think it's most likely to happen in the Summer during the next training camp.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think Cam is ready to start. I like him playing big minutes off the bench at the 2/3. But Jalen shouldn’t be starting at this point either. I’d try to make a modest deal for Brogdon at the deadline. If Dejuante Murray is available we have to kick the tires on him too. If we can’t get something done at the deadline you retry in the offseason. Gary Trent Jr, is worth signing this offseason if we move on from Jalen. But the best thing for this team would be a combo guard who can shoot and take pressure off Fred at the point…which is why Brogdon and Murray are good targets.

BaselineFade likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I voted 3 but should have voted 4. Bottom line is I'm not super worried about it this year. We'll see what happens going forward.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That looks good defensively but having 3 guys who can’t shoot is rough, our offense struggles as it is

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This question tortures me night and day.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rename the Position to 'All You Can Eat'

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Trading for a guy age 27 and up would be a waste of assets. Not a fit for our timeline. So no Dejounte Murray, no Mikal Bridges, and dear god, no 31-year-old Malcolm Brogdon. We're play-in contenders this season, our odds of even getting into the playoffs proper are probably less than 50 percent. No reason to blow assets on veterans when we have no chance of making a deep run in the playoffs and our core are all 22 and under.

As far as Cam, I would like to see him working in a 6th man role this season. As for him starting: I don't think he's good enough at passing and playing team offense, or just being in the right spots on defense right now, and he has a long way to go on the former in particular. Maybe he can compete for the starting job next season if we don't make some other move.

If we can make a trade for a young guard with some remaining upside who is already playing better than Jalen--guys like Collin Sexton, Coby White, Tyler Herro, etc--I might consider that. Or if some unexpected young star becomes available. That sort of thing is about the only roster move I'd feel okay about us making as relates to adding a guard to the roster right now. Otherwise, just kind of stay the course and let the season play out, address it in the offseason if at all.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

They should do nothing. Hold the course. Hold Jalen accountable. And let him learn. You have to give the dude a year under a new coach before you start giving up. Thats so short-sighted. Cam has just as many if not more flaws than Jalen.

patience, chile’. Patience.