1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans to hire Bobby Slowik as OC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Feb 12, 2023.

1. raining threes

He's going to look pretty good coaching Maye in Washington.

cmoak1982 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I guess he had nothing to do with SF offense and Ryans just brought him in as OC because they had coffee together a few times in the coaches lounge?

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

Bobby is as good as gone we all need to get familiar with Klint Kubiak

raining threes likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Maybe, hopefully we'll find out.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

I didn't say he was bad. Just not great. Time will tell.

6. conquistador#11

Our usage of motion kept going up so much I stopped tracking it by week 9.
    We also saw a little bit Pistol throughout the season like a Marvel post credits scene of what is to come later.

TheFreak and clos4life like this.
  7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Stroud the Great!

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Whether I agree with your statements is secondary. You’re doing a great job of having an opinion, not being an ass about it and handling unnecessary criticism at the same time. This is a great response post, even acknowledging the game he had today despite it countering your overall opinion.

Bravo man, carry on.

clos4life likes this.
  9. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

This guy is being carried by Stroud like something fierce.

Most of these Shanahan types outside of McVay are overrated.

Stroud is excelling due to his unreal qb vision and accuract

clos4life likes this.
  10. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Maye will look because he is a good qb, not because of Slowik

clos4life likes this.
  11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Stroud is throwing to some pretty open receivers. I assume that's Slowik's scheming since he was a passing game coordinator in SF.

12. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

A lot of offenses can get guys open

its about knowing the progression of the reads on a given down and distance.

Stroud is just finding the open guys.

Brady did the same exact thing for 20 years.

Doesnt matter what offense you run if you QB has the vision to see everything.

Strouds football vision is unreal, only qbs who I think could match it is Brady, maybe Brees.

Hippieloser and clos4life like this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I see this too. CJ is UNREAL. But I feel like for years I’ve watched Mahomes and any time he lets go of the ball I just assume there is some wide open receiver ready to catch it. Meanwhile, we have Hopkins who has to make other-worldly catches in traffic as we fought for every yard. This is the first year where I watch OUR QB, OUR team, getting easy yards.

Is CJ and his accuracy a huge part of that? Of course! But let’s not act like this is the same BOB scheme and CJ is just taking it to new heights.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I love (hate) threads that devolve to this state... where literally every statement made is both true (and could be untrue) at the exact same time...

Slowick is a talented up and coming OC that oversaw a huge turnaround on this team and is going to get deserved interviews for HC positions.

Stroud is looking more and more like a generational QB every single game he plays. He's doing it both within the framework of the offense as well as has the ability to make plays when the original scheme is snuffed out. The only thing that could seemingly slow him down right now is health.

The Texans offense looked like garbage when Stroud was out and Slowick was still calling the plays. Keenum had some of the same reads, same "open" receivers, and just couldn't process it fast enough to make the throw (or just failed at making the throw period).

We have no idea what a new coordinator will bring if Slowick leaves... but its pretty rare that a new coordinator takes an MVP-type QB and causes regression. The reverse scenario is seen plenty of times. To think that Stroud, who's excelled at every level and every single big game in his young career thus far is simply a "system" QB made out of the coaching staff/plays called is extremely ignorant.

Slowick could be advised to take the Ben Johnson/Nick Sirianni route. If you're really good, these HC jobs will always be available, and you may want to have at least 2-3 years overseeing a smaller group of people before you're thrust into the big stage where you oversee a much larger group of people with less margin for error (meanwhile, Brandon Staley who was fast-tracked to HC and failed will likely never get another HC job again without starting all over...). He can merely look to Kyle Shanahan's career track as well... just having early success as an OC does not make one an automatic HC.

houstonstime, clos4life and MadMax like this.
  15. plee

plee Member

I will add "touch" he's not throwing 100mph to the receiver, most of the time he hits them right on stride...I think those basketball drills help put a bit of arc on his passes

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

This is why all the “Lovie saved the Texans from Bryce Young” talk seems like uninformed bs. So Slowik and co. were so in love with Young that they were ready to not have the ability to play under center?

raining threes and MadMax like this.
  17. Qan

Qan Member

Felt the Texans would've selected CJ anyways even if they had the #1 pick. Gotta give Slowik his props, he ran an amazing plan this week. I do hope he stays, but if he leaves I think and hope, Johnson can continue the offense with CJ under center.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Really good point.

I think the Jerrod Johnson hire was a dead giveaway, but I have been wrong so many times lol.

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Slowik called a great game yesterday. I didn’t see it as possible early in the year, but with so many HC opportunities open, yesterday was likely icing on the cake for him getting a big gig.

congrats and well done.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

CJ Stroud looks like he’s gonna be gifting plenty of people higher-paying jobs for a while.