1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn, Caserio.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 18, 2023.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Caserio drafted:
    Collins, Stingley, Anderson, Stroud, Dell

Dude has an eye for Blue Chip Prospects.

Crazy Crazy Turnaround.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think CJ drafted Tank lol

mikol13, Hippieloser, Rvo384 and 3 others like this.
  4. tmacfor35

Stop it. lol

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

6. tmacfor35

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

It was the 2022 draft when I was like yeah Nick isn't Patriots way. Dude is his own man. It got to the point that even the guys who assigned him the nickname BDN had turned on him.
    On the Dell part, just having a GM genuinely asking for CJ's input goes a long way. Rodgers didn't get that. Which just screams more, BDN is his own guy. Not taking Nelson's vest dissing personally when other guys would have boiled over the stovetop.

raining threes likes this.
  8. tmacfor35

Thats a really good point.

Nick ignored the low hanging fruit with Nelson.

Rewarded him, and now it seems like Nelson is happy and will probably get resigned.

We may have struck gold with Caserio. What has the Patriots roster done since he left?

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Part of consensus decision making is choosing which are exclusionary and which are Inclusionary in the decision making process. I suspect the advocacy and comfort expressed by CJ may have nudged the process more than redirected the process.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Don't look into it too far. Not taking any credit away from Nick, I think it's pretty smart to let your franchise QB pick his weapons (who would know better?). Just pointing out CJs role.

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Love wanted Stingley and Ryans wanted Anderson. I think Casario listens to the consensus.

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  12. swakid8

swakid8 Member

There’s a lot of misconceptions about Big Dick Nick… Even though he grew up in the Patriots system, he always looked up to the Steelers organization in regards to how a team should be ran. I think having BDN and Meco, a GM and Coach who came up in organizations with different philosophies can be a blessing and it appears to be based on how the 2023 draft was handled. Having different football backgrounds creates healthy conflict and as long as both Nick and Meco keep the main thing the main thing first, the team. My goodness, we have a great thing brewing here at could create a culture of the expectations of winning and nothing less that sets up an organization for long term sustainable success.

I look at Pittsburg and Baltimore…

raining threes, TheFreak and Shark44 like this.
  13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I think working for The Hoodie taught him how NOT to go about the draft.

14. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Nick trusted the advice of a rookie qb that hadn't proven squat. Nick deserves the credit.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Nick got lucky that Lovie smith lost a game. I read before the draft they didn't want stroud because he partied too much and got that low score and that ownership forced them to get a QB. Without CJ this is a 4-13 team. Nico Collins looks like he did the 2 years before.

16. swakid8

swakid8 Member

It’s known that the Texans don’t subscribe to the S2…. Nick has even said in the past in previous interviews he could care less about about tests and focus more on tape….

Ownership wanted a QB, but I a feeling a they didn’t dictate which QB to get and left that up to Nick and Meco. I have a sneaky feeling that Meco and Nick weren’t all in on Young hence why they stood their ground and held on to the number 2 pick despite the Bears trying to put out smokescreen which caused Carolina to panick and give up the farm to move up…

17. vince

vince Member

The irony of ironies!

That the Carolina Panthers NFL coaches wanted Stroud over Bryce Young, yet their ownership pulled rank and ordered they draft Young instead.

Here it was obvious that DeMeco Ryan wanted Will Anderson to be his defensive anchor. As Anderson had the qualities that Ryan wanted in the face for his defense. But Ownership needed to get a QB because the fans were about to do an about face revolt in the team. So Ownership commanded the Texans draft Stroud.

And thank goodness for Nick Caserio who stepped in and up to the plate, and told the 2 camps why not get them both. And said we can tantalize Arizona with next year’s potential very high draft pick, Cleveland’s 2023 1st round pick, a 2023 2nd round pick and persuade Arizona to sell us that #3 pick.

It worked out well for the Texans.

For Carolina it was a disastrous sting - their fan are up in arms, the coach was fired, the owner is throwing beer at fans!

And Arizona’s bet didn’t garner them the type of haul they gambled on. I heard that the Texans were trying to send the Cleveland pick instead of their own, but Arizona said “no way Jose”. And in the 2024 draft the Cleveland pick will be slightly-to—maybe a lot better than the Texans. As the Texans keep winning, it will only be a lower pick in return to Arizona.

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I heard awhile back, owners wanted a QB so Nick & Meco would have to decide which of the two. MECO wanted Stroud. Meco also wanted a Bosa type pass rusher ala Will Anderson so they moved up to get him.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I’ll give credit where it is due. Picks like Collins and Tank were amazing.

Stingley IF HEALTHY is a better pick over Sauce. If he continues to miss lots of games year after year then it was a bad pick with Sauce as an option and the medical history of Sting.

Green over Hamilton was a total reach, inexcusable, dumbass move even a casual fan was perplexed over.

Nick would never admit it but he was saved from himself with the Indy game. He would have drafted Young and it has nothing to do with S2. Young was pretty much the consensus pick. Without the Indy game we’d be 3-14 and Nick probably fired.

The trade up for WAJ was a good move as well. Kudos for that.

Deep Steel Truth likes this.
  20. swakid8

swakid8 Member

I wouldn’t be so sure if Nick would have taken Young at number 1…. Yes, Young was the consensus pick outside of the scouting and GM circles….. But he wasn’t the consensus inside those circles…. That is supported by the fact that teams weren’t tripping over themselves to move up to the number 1 pick…. It took awhile for the Bears to find someone who was willing to move up. Also, based on Nicks draft track record, I didn’t even think Young fit what he was looking for, hence why the Texans stayed put.

vince and raining threes like this.