1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

44 million for an inconsistent guy like Hicks. If we had gotten him for 2 years 16 million I would thought that would have been a fair number. I do see why teams would be enamored with his upside though.

Certainly a different day and age for reliever paydays. No way the Astros were even in the same stratosphere as that, so calling them "in the mix" seems like the lip service of all lip services.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Outside of Josh Hader and Jordan Montgomery, I don’t see any free agents available who by themselves makes sense for Houston to be willing to go over the CBT threshold. Maybe Yariel Rodriguez, if Houston is just totally sold on him. But as time marches on and some 3rd/4th tier free agents start to get desperate, there are some guys who would make sense on a 1 year 6-7 figure deal that would fit under the threshold:

Lefthanded bats: Joey Gallo, Austin Meadows, Jesse Winker, Adam Frazier, Brandon Belt, Travis Jankowski, Dan Vogelbach, Robbie Grossman, Eddie Rosario, Mike Ford, Matt Carpenter, Jared Walsh, Mike Moustakas

SP: Alex Wood, Vince Velasquez, Matt Boyd

RP: Matt Moore, Keynan Middleton, Scott Alexander

Trading Urquidy to free up money for a guy like Matt Moore makes a lot of sense to me.

#3124 Snake Diggit, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would still like to see a corner bat that hits RHP but I am convinced that staying under the CBT is the organization's #1 priority.

Radricky, Wulaw Horn and BlindHog like this.
  6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am still not convinced they are quite as close to the threshold as everyone is saying. It would not surprise me at all if they had another $3M-$7M to go. Either way, there’s very likely room for them to swap out Singleton with a guy like Gallo or Frazier or Jankowski who brings more defensive value and/or upside.

Nook likes this.
  7. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Wouldn't mind Gallo. He can play 1st, all 3 OF positions (likely just the corners), and 3rd (in a pinch)

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trade Urquidy and Montero. Sign Moore, Paxton, and Gallo.

Roster:

2B Altuve
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    1B Abreu
    RF Tucker
    C Diaz
    OF McCormick
    OF Gallo
    SS Pena
    Bench: Dubon, Caratini, Meyers, Kessinger
    Rotation: Verlander, Framber, Javier, Paxton, Brown, France
    Bullpen: Pressly, Abreu, Moore, Graveman, Whitley, Sousa/McCullers, Bielak/Garcia

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I still think trading Urquidy for Ryan O'Hearn and a prospect makes lots of sense

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Very true but I do not think we are disagreeing about the value of the players, rather this seems to be about the hall of fame. An under sized second baseman who can't field his position has no place to hide on a competitive team. He will probably have a good bat but to keep him active would displace better bats. The hall means nothing to me, less than nothing if that is possible. I have no respect left for the press and those unworthies get the only voice on who does or does not get into the hall. It matters even less what hat HOF players wear. The same arguments are true for a starting pitcher and go double for a reliever. To hold HOF induction to be more important than fielding the best team possible is sacrilege. I would prefer to have more wins from younger and more athletic Astros players every time.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I can respect and agree with much of what you are saying.

My point is more about Altuve will be here so find the good in it, rather than the logical point that he will not be nearly as good as he is now so should be replaced to win more games.

IBTL likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

They went from 7.5 to 9 million a year over two years. Hicks was interested. Red Sox went to 3 years and the Giants eventually went to 4.

FWIW Hicks preference was the Astros but the guaranteed money and chance to start was too much to pass up.

Not sure how I feel about Hicks honestly. Lots of velocity but don’t like some of his issues.

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Thanks Nook. Did they have a trade lined up to clear salary, or were they really willing to go over the CBT for Hicks? The latter seems unlikely.

The Beard and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

per usual, with everything.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

16. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

17. Radricky

Radricky Member

18. Buck Turgidson

When do pitchers and catchers report?

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

20. Yordan The Great

What the hell is Brown doing besides absolutely nothing?

Lefty relief pitcher who has been very effective for Colorado, Brent Suter, signs with the Reds for peanuts (2.5 million and a 2nd yr club option for 3.5 million).

Brown has been a disaster up to this point.

Nook likes this.