1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Memorabilia/Autographs/baseball cards

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jan 9, 2024.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am enjoying the thread, but how much memorabilia is worth doesn't interest me.

It's about my love if the Astros.

I have never sold a baseball card in 45 years of collecting, but I have traded several and given special ones to friends who are fans of other teams.

scott_summers and bloodwings19 like this.
  2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am glad to see other posters talk about this. I am also hunting like Hey Now is for Altuve 2011 Topps cards through ebay. I've had some success over past few weeks. I think the challenge for me is whether or not to buy the ones that aren't in cases to have Altuve sign them. Although I am like @IdStrosfan, I'm not concern about the value because I plan to pass this along to my kids.

@Hey Now! What does ebay breaks mean?

bloodwings19, Hey Now! and IdStrosfan like this.
  3. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Is anyone going to the Tristar event in February?

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Do you know what breaks are? If not, someone will have a product - a hobby box, for instance. They will then sell specific teams from whatever sport the hobby box is from, and then every team card they hit from that box is yours. So the "break" is them opening the box - it's usually broadcast on their social media channels so you can watch it live (you may have heard of "live breaks"). Some offer those teams for set prices (based on card values); others make the teams available for auction on eBay - thus: "eBay breaks"

So, for instance, someone might "break" a 2023 Donruss football box. Because of Stroud, Dell and Anderson, the Texans would go for a pretty high premium - say $150 (while... the Bears might go for... $45 because they don't offer much, in terms of value - I'm making these numbers up to illustrate the prices are always driven by card values) So they then open each pack, and every Texan they hit is yours - and I mean all of them: the commons all the way up to a possible 1/1. It's pretty fun - but risky and can get really expensive.

(Some offer random spots, and not specific teams - so you everyone buys in for the same $ and then teams are assigned randomly. I've done that and almost always draw the Nationals during the years they had no draft picks or prospects)

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I'll be there. Not sure what day but trying to take some decent slabs and trade up into more PC stuff.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Get your 2011 Topps Update Altuve there. And drop off PSA, COMC or BGS grading the main reason I'm going. It is best for me to find rare items that aren't seen on eBay.

I wouldn't bring slab if you are expecting eBay value unless you hare holding CJ Stroud, or any hot slabs. These dealers are sharks.

7. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Y'all have fun at the show but for God's sake please don't carry around an apache case with your graded cards in it.
    I went last year and the number of people with cases trying to get covid prices was unreal.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  8. Stack24

Can't ever go into a show expecting eBay prices and comps. First you gotta factor in the fees you would lose in your price and then a little bit lower for that. You can usually use trades in a good deal if you buying from them as opposed to just trying to move them.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  9. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I bought their VIP tickets. I have stuff for Pressly to sign. It does suck that they raised price for him to sign any item that is related to the no-hitter.

10. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I have an offer from someone that is willing to sell a mint hope diamond Altuve rookie card that is already graded at 10. I’m shy about pulling the trigger on it.

11. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I do buy into breaks on facebook.
    Have done well over the last couple of 7 years.
    I only buy Astros in breaks. The sad part is the Bowman 1st's are the best money makers if you sell and most of the young Astros that popped are not really in those sets. I have done well with Alvarez though. Lots of autos. Lots of lower numbered cards I think I have about 20 Alvarez autos between Bowman and topps. Have lots of other sweet cards I sold through hitting on random team breaks.

panamamyers and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  12. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

If you’re willing to sell any Yordans, PM me. lol I rather give my money to a Clutchfans poster than some random on eBay.

13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Man the market inefficiencies are all gone in card collecting these days. A Stroud Prizm case break costs well north of $1,000....a guy like Jackson Chourio is already priced like he's Juan Soto.
    Five or six years ago you could get some young stars on the cheap. Not now.
    I have a few Astros prospects that I am hoarding. Hope they pan out.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  14. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

I've never been super interested in the baseball card collecting, I have a few but nothing valuable.

I have the following baseballs though:
    Altuve
    Correa
    McHugh (Turned into team signed ball by adding the following : Yuli, Michael Feleiz, Keuchal, Marisnick, Devenski, Gattis, James Hoyt, Dayan Diaz, Brad Peacock, Reddick, Springer and unfortunately the rat himself)
    Biggio
    Gregerson
    Gattis
    Marwin Gonzalez
    Derek Fischer
    Robinson chirinos
    Jon singleton
    Preston Tucker
    Chas McCormick

Wine bottles:
    Altuve & Jim Crane

Bat
    Evan Gattis

Photos
    Framber Valdez
    Forrest Whitley
    Dallas Keuchal
    Charlie Morton

Canvas
    Javier No Hitter Canvas.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  15. Stack24

I have a lot more Rockets/Olajuwon stuff but since we are talking Astros at the moment here are the big leaguers I have. I do have some prospect cards as well. The baseballs and bats I got when I had the bar and we used to do Astroline there and I got to meet all of them which was kind of cool.

[​IMG]
    Combined No Hitter all the pitchers signed and /250
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bagwell section with RC
    [​IMG]
    Biggio Section with RC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Altuve 1/1

[​IMG]
    Altuve 1/1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

El_Conquistador and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  16. Hey Now!

I’m open for business if anyone wants to divest cards. I chase quite a bit. You can DM me. Oilers, Texans, Astros… I live 60s-80s stuff.

IdStrosfan and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am looking for basic cards, not high value rare things. I don't have many but have gotten lucky occassionally. I treasure the few Astro memorabilia cards I have located.

I need quite a few basic Topps cards from 1962- mid 70s. Since my move I'm a bit disorganized and need to update recent purchases and see what I still need. If anyone has extras laying around you are intrrested in selling at a fair and reasonable price I would be grateful.

They are getting harder and harder to find and cost the moon.

I don't have much disposable income so may need to buy a few at a time.

I recently moved to Spokane, Washington and drove by an actual card shop the other day, so I'm stoked about that. Hopefully they have a selection and are reasonable.

Anyway, thanks for this thread it's fun reading.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

What is it you’re trying to collect again?

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Some really cool stuff in there -- nice collection.

Stack24 likes this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Basic Topps Colt 45 and Astros cards 1962-current.

I am making binders with 1 of every card. Condition isn't important as long as damage is limited to the outer 1/4 inch (or so) of the card and its able to be enjoyed visually in a card page.

I have very few Colts cards ( probably 10%) and only about 10-20% of Astros 1965-1976. I am only missing a few 1977-2005 then stopped collecting until 2018 so need most of those.

I need to make a list of cards I need as I have not kept up since the last several purchases.

I am starting a 2nd binder project : 1 random card of every Astro (975 of them) in the order of debut Bobby Shantz through Bennet Sousa but am just starting that still prepping.

All the cards I need are basic run and most will be commons, but every once in a while a rookie or other card is a bit pricey.