1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FX] Fargo Season 5

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I was a hard pass before. But, it seems like I should take a look based on some of your ratings. I started to watch the first episode but I always find it hard to get into a new series. It's really got to grab me to continue to watch but, then, some shows are slow to get going until the meat arrives.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, I think you should watch 3 and 4. Not for completist sake but because even though it doesn't quite reach those heights, it's still the same style and it is still good (in my opinion, of course). I think Chris Rock's performance in season 4 is worth it by itself and Carrie Coon's performance in season 3 is worth it by itself. There is plenty of other things to love in there as well. Just don't expect it to be quite so amazing as the first two seasons.

I've also really enjoyed Legion, which was another Noah Hawley show. I think he might be my favorite showrunner out there right now. I'll be curious to see what he does next when he finally steps away from Fargo.

Edit: Totally forgot Hawley is already slated as a writer on the TV show based on the Alien universe. Can't wait to see what he does in that playground.

GRENDEL and Blake like this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "Kids in The Hall" dude is making my brain hurt. I keep waiting for something silly. The eyepatch doesnt help.

Rashmon likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's based on Coen bros' stuff. You SHOULD possibly be expecting something silly.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've really enjoyed this season but honestly I've enjoyed each season, probably one of the more consistent shows currently running......

RunninRaven likes this.
  6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You mean the News Radio guy?

Kind of an odd choice for an intimidating lawyer, but he's doing his best.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wish they would go back to the idiot that becomes a killer by accident and grows to like it......

GRENDEL likes this.
  8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Episode 9 was intense. One to go…Jon Hamm doing a great job.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Agreed, the last episode was well done, really setting the table for a good finale.....

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has been an excellent season. The only false note has been that she would never have left the rifle behind.

arkoe, Andre0087, Mr.Pringles and 3 others like this.
  11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Excellent episode.

That Munch line was awesome. "THE TIGER IS FREE"

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Favorite line....

She is a Tigress.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. Buck Turgidson

He was a very excellent Fargo-ish character. I don't understand yall's problem with him.

Ziggy likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

These bozo rookies never seent burn after reading.

16. Buck Turgidson

[spoiler alert] Clooney shooting Pitt in the closet cracks me up every time.

Ziggy likes this.
  17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watched the last two episodes last night. I'm still processing my feelings about this season...but I think it was kind of brilliant. I guess I'll spoiler the rest in case someone hasn't seen it yet:
    The setup of the showdown between the militia and the govt armed forces was tense and didn't quite pay off, but I guess they only have so much budget. It wasn't going to turn into a full scale action movie for this episode, but at least the myriad Chekhov's guns were eventually fired.

I agree that it felt a little silly/convenient that Dot left the rifle outside the pit she got into. That seemed very out of character for her, but I guess it was serving the plot and it allowed for an awesome Moonk moment.

The last episode initially baffled me. I couldn't figure out why they resolved Sheriff Tillman's conflict so early. And especially after Dot told him to his face that she would kill him. I kept waiting for that moment. But then it occurred to me that the show had No Country For Old Men'd me. It wasn't really about Dot's conflict with the sheriff. It was about the damage others do to us and moving forward from it. It was about finding joy even in the midst of a great big pile of ****. It was about finding forgiveness and it all culminated in that scene with Moonk and Dot/family that they thankfully gave the appropriate amount of time to breathe. I was as rapt at attention in that whole scene as I have been at any point in all 5 Fargo seasons. And it played out brilliantly.

I've still got to think on this more. There were some very clear Christian metaphors (perhaps the most important of which being what it is that Moonk eats at the end) and I think there are some other aspects of that that played out as a theme throughout the season that I missed.

But overall I loved it. I loved it more than I thought I would and for much different reasons than I thought I would. I'm not sure I would put it above season 1 or 2, but it's just behind them and it's close. Hell of a show, top to bottom.

arkoe, Blake, cwebbster and 1 other person like this.
  18. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really great season and unorthodox finale that they were able to pull off.

GRENDEL and Andre0087 like this.
  19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m way behind but last night watched episode 4 or 5 and that quote by Jon Hamm about “I’m more of a ‘let the orphans fight for sport’ libertarian guy” had me rolling

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

In a future season there needs to be a cooking show that a character watches regularly, “Cooking with Ole” or “Lunch with Munch”

#60 Mr.Pringles, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Blake and Buck Turgidson like this.