1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any woodworkers here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Aug 31, 2020.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All it is is a flat board with a stop glued onto one end. The board goes on the sled and you shim the underside at the points needed so it won’t rock when you press on it. The idea is this will make the top surface level enough. Then you rub it through stop side first so the planer doesn’t send your board flying off the sled due to the rotation of the cutters. Then you have a flat top surface, flip it, and run the board through without a sled so you now make that plane parallel to the first one you did.
    Yes, glue up face grain. I use hand planes for jointing but you can get close enough for your purposes with the table saw as long as your top and bottom are parallel. Ends won’t matter until after glue up and then you can run them through table saw to get them squared off.

Os Trigonum and Kevooooo like this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I've never made an end grain cutting board, but I advise you to research the many methods to flatten them thoroughly. Sending one through the planer improperly can be catastrophic to your piece and blow up your planer, while exploding pieces can become violent projectiles.

Kevooooo likes this.
  3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Ah yes I have seen those sleds. Great info. Thanks. Excited to get started on this.

any recommendation on sled material? 1/2 plywood?

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

3/4 MDF

Kevooooo and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

timely thread bump, I just retired and want to spend some time on some projects that have been deferred for a long time, including some bookcases and wooden storms for the house. For the storms I decided getting a mortiser would help speed things along and found a decent one for a good price on fb marketplace today, picking it up Friday. Hardest part of the whole project will be finding the wood, need 6/4 cypress or western red cedar, neither of which are widely available where we live. But that's the goal for the spring

Kevooooo likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If you are in the Houston area Brazos Forest Products should have what you are looking for.

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

thanks, but we're in upstate New York. There are folks who will ship cypress but the freight is killer

8. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I'm envious, that's a great website, need to find that kind of company closer to home

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Look like you have lots of options - a quick google search provided ~30 suppliers in "upstate New York."

hardwood supplier in upstate new york - Google Search

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

most of the hardwood dealers upstate only have oak, maple, cherry etc. Oak logging is big business where we are

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Either high quality 3/4 ply or 3/4 MDF. You just want it flat and rigid.

Kevooooo likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I get that calling it ‘upstate’ is regional and grandfathered in for the New England area. I’ll give them that.

Why can’t Dallas just call themselves ‘Upstate Texas’. It is not North Texas.

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Dallas isn't part of Texas, its South Oklahoma.

deb4rockets and Xerobull like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

update on continued searching--this supplier has 1-1/4" thickness planed cypress, which would be ideal for a finished window frame thickness of 1-1/8". Other dealers only have 2" stock, which would lead to a lot of wasted material. Requested a quote for shipping on 200' linear feet. We'll see what the shipping looks like.

https://www.jimmys-cypress.com/products/Smooth_Planed_1-14x6-.aspx

16. Buck Turgidson

Concrete hurts....

Make me a longboard

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Idk how old this post is but That board is still going strong. I even left it outside for like 3 months a couple years back. Just had to grease the bearings.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

#138 Buck Turgidson, Jan 11, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  19. CCorn

CCorn Member

20. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Well I’m currently making a vanity/laptop desk for my special lady. An oak tree on a certain historic site had to be felled due to the last freeze and I was able to have them give me a slice of the trunk. I then split it into pieces with a froe and brought home rough boards to plane and cut to size. The plan was to do it all with hand tools but I got tired a little impatient so I cheated and did about half of the board milling in a shop at work. The joinery and shaping is/will be all period with hand tools, though. The legs have already absorbed some blood so it is a true extension of me.

Kevooooo and Os Trigonum like this.