1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Special quarterbacks drafted since 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Yordan The Great, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Yordan The Great

2017 Mahomes
    2020 Burrow
    2023 Stroud

Besides the obvious attributes of having the talent to play the position at a very high level, this goes beyond that with the "it factor", never being rattled, coming through in the clutch, everyone in that huddle believing you're going to succeed.

Last night was essentially a playoff game, and Stroud was exceptional and clutch.

Andre0087 and evo8lover like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Her
    I'd probably include Herbert in that list. He's kinda stagnated a bit but his talent is up there with those guys.

No Worries and Sooty like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

I think everyone is feeling that sentiment. Stroud seems to get the ball in the right place at the right time. Most importantly he is NFL IQ competent, determined, and strong. Dude is legit unlike anyone else we’ve seen.

evo8lover likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Stroud's arm talent I think is underrated in terms of the hype of it entering the draft.

Some of the throws he made last night were just ridiculous. Multiple plays where he was backpedaling and throwing off the backfoot where he didn't step into his throw at all and still threw perfect laser spirals right at the perfect location. I just don't know many QBs who can do that. One of the throws was a dropped pass right in the hands of the receiver but you could also say it would have been a bad decision for a player with a lesser talented arm because it was in near triple coverage but for Stroud, you trust him to make that throw.

#4 fchowd0311, Jan 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    vince and Yordan The Great like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

And Josh Allen.

6. Yordan The Great

"Special"

I don't think anyone watches Herbert and thinks he's "special".

In fact I think he's a bit of a choke artist. Reminds me of their former QB Rivers, fun to watch but his teams always underachieving.

houstonstime, Fulgore and blackistan like this.
  7. Yordan The Great

Again, fun to watch, but he's a turnover machine and comes up small in the big games way too often.

Fun to watch and special are two different things.

8. Two Sandwiches

Meh. I don't see how you can put Stroud on the list and not have Allen on the list just because Allen has had many big games. Burrow has lost big games as well.

Stroud has only had one "big" game and it was during the regular season. I love the kid and am super glad he's my quarterback, but it's a little premature, in my opinion. If we're being real.

Also, outside of record (which is still largely a team thing), Allen's playoff stats are better than Burrow's. 17-4 vs 9-5 TD-Int splits....

#8 Two Sandwiches, Jan 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Sooty, Andre0087 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Allen is elite in big games. Highest rated QB in the 4th QTR. He’s the literal definition of special

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Yeah y’all need to get off that Josh Allen isn’t elite. Only elite QBs get you to a win in/Div title final game after starting out the season in such a massive hole. And only elite QBs go 3-0 against a murders row Eagles,KC and Dal in a must win situation.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Yeah I don't know how anyone can say Josh Allen comes up small in big games. The win percentage isn't fantastic, but he is.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

And Josh Allen was scrubbing it up as a rookie.

CJ simply hasn't had as many opportunities to shine as other QBs have. But when has he ever laid an egg? Hes been clutch every opportunity he has gotten so far

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  13. blackistan

blackistan Member

Thats a good comp

14. Two Sandwiches

I completely agree.

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd add Lamar Jackson to that list.

Qan likes this.
  16. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I think you have to wait till he gets a real coach, it's hard to judge someone with an awful coach