1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Just admit you haven't watched NBA basketball long enough to have known Yao was a significantly better shooter from range than Sengun, and as a jump shooter MASSIVELY more skilled, and not because of his height or Muresan and Bradley (look them up on Google) would be KD and they weren't ****. Tryin to discount Yao as height and nothing else when he was more graceful at that height than a lot of people Sengun's height is plain ignorant. Stop attacking our legends to prop up some kid you hope will have a career half as good, it's disrespectful.

astrosrule likes this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Can’t concede a false claim was made. Doubles down with unprovable declarations about shot attempts while double and triple teamed.

Not a good look.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Seriously though, ****in Yao slander? Nah. That's a man who prime Shaq struggled with. Sengun would be flattened by prime Shaq, without trying, every time down the court.

4. invocux

invocux Member

You said "Yao's worst TS was 9% above league average and his best was 16% (his 3rd year). Sengun's best is this year at 4%. Posting the TS% as an absolute number instead of a relative number is stupid and dishonest."

You were implying that Yao is tiers above Sengun because he was much better than other centers in his era statswise (%9 to %4. about x2 better than him) while completely ignoring that Yao was 7'4 among 6'10 centers and Sengun is undersized in this era hence i corrected you. You aren't nearly as smart as you think you are. If you were smart you would know that comparing a 7'4 center with 6'11 center who played in different eras is a moronic move. That's why i brought up 'P4P'.

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

who the hell cares how tall they were? Does Sengun get more points for making a 2 point shot then Yao? Yao was light years more efficient then Sengun is, that's a fact

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Prime Yao would make Sengun look like an absolute PUNK on the court. This isn't Wemby we're talking about, this is over 300 lbs of immovable wall with Wemby's height, Alpy aint getting **** inside. He also aint gonna have the run up he needs to block a single shot. It'd be a cakewalk. Not to mention, Yao's also one of our legends with more charisma, personality, humour and heart than Sengun too, and it needs to be made clear, he IS a LEGEND. Sengun's a promising youngster. That's it.

7. invocux

invocux Member

No all i was saying that Yao was one of the biggest centers ever played the game while Sengun isn't thus the gap bw their TS% is completely expected. You can't compare 2 centers TS% (who played in different eras btw) to prove that one is better than the other. That doesn't prove anything. Yao had a great career but not entirely because he was skilled. These 2 are losing their **** bcause RedNinetyFour said Sengun is superior to him offensively (he is right btw)

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Put both Yao and Sengun in the early-mid 90's playing Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Mourning, Duncan, Ewing etc. I promise you, the one who was drafted first has a significantly better career than the "MVP of Turkey."

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Literally no one is talking about who is better between the two but you.

@astrosrule only pointed out that while their raw TS% was similar, relative to the league it’s not similar at all and a bit misleading when comparing their scoring efficiency.

All I did was correct your false claim that suggested Yao was some unskilled giant who only took easy shots in the paint while Sengun takes nothing but no look shots backwards while triple teamed.

10. invocux

invocux Member

Sengun is more skilled than Yao offensively. You can cry about it as much as you want that will not change anything. He is doing everything Yao did back in the day while being 4-5 inches shorter than him. And he's being guarded by bigger guys than him. Do i think Sengun is better than Yao rn? No. Yao is better because he could defend. Is Yao a legend, my legend? Yes and yes. Will Sengun be ever be as good as prime Yao? Maybe. I'm just telling you that Sengun is offensively more talented than him i'm not being disrespectful to anyone

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is precisely that for me personally to give the legends enough breathing space.....

See, Sengün is only going to get better but the legends are retired and cannot defend themselves.....

12. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

13. invocux

invocux Member

So you are ready to go at him with "MVP of Turkey" s.ht (which is weird because being an MVP at 18 is a remarkable achievement) because somebody said sth about Yao? I'm pretty sure if i go on a little you are gonna start calling Sengun a cockroach.

14. invocux

invocux Member

I literally said "They are completely different players and great-elite in different ways" where did i say he was an unskilled giant? He was a giant not as skilled as Sengun but never said he was unskilled. It takes more skill to beat the double team and score then to shoot middies over ppl a lot shorter than you. Am i supposed to watch this kid every 2 days and lie that not think to myself that he has better footwork, more post moves, bigger bag than Yao?

15. plegus

plegus Member

I watched the first game Yao vs. Shaq live. So freaking much hype, good times. But you can stop sh.tting on Alpi just cause wanna make a point to a singular person here.

Also nah I dont think Shaq could have done that to current Alperen. That comment is clearly out of frustration. Think deeper. I will take Shaq who played against Yao rather than 2000-01 Diesel to compare for the sake of this argument, who would flatten every single player you can ever come up with ever.

#10695 plegus, Jan 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Your original post I responded to listed a bunch of centers currently in the league with high TS% that almost exclusively shoot shots in the paint. Hardly create for themselves at all or shoot anything outside of the paint. You then said centers like this have an easy time having a higher TS%.(which is true)

You then somewhat lumped Yao into this category and made the claim that he didn’t take super tough shots or shots from the perimeter(compared to Sengun) (which I debunked with the numbers in my post):

And then you said it’s better to compare Yao to guys like Dwight and Shaq. Again guys who shot almost ALL of their shots inside the paint, which is absolutely nothing like Yao.

~93% of Shaq FGA were inside 10 FT.
    ~88% of Dwight’s FGA were inside 10 FT.

Thats not like Yaos career shot diet at all.

17. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

18. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Yeah, but is Sengun really any good?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. invocux

invocux Member

You are right language barrier is a thing i guess. I said "Yao didn't take tougher shots than Sengun" which is wrong but i meant it in a way that Sengun creates sth out of nothing like that weird shot he made when Wiseman was guarding him before shot clock expired. He beats double teams regularly to make some weird layups. He plays very very physical. A center like him is supposed to have lower TS% then Claxton or Yao who is taller than everyone. So again to be clear by shooting in my mind i was thinking about scoring in general i dunno why i worded it like that.

Do i think the shots you make over 6'10's should be considered tough when you are 7'4? No if you are Yao. He had a very soft touch and height advantage but it more about his height than him being skilled. I never once called him a giant with no skill but him being a physical specimen allows him to have a higher TS% than a 6'11 center therefore you compare his TS% with other beasts who are also expected to have higher TS%. I didn't put him in the same category with them because i think they are the same archetype.

My claim was Yao had abnormally high TS% because he was abnormally tall. Sengun sized Yao wouldn't average 20 ppg which is my another claim because i think Sengun is a better offensive talent. So it's kinda weird you are right with your shooting thing because i agree that Yao could shoot from midrange but since i couldn't express my thoughts in a better way you had to fight me over something i also don't even believe in. If you are objecting my claims we could go on.

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Skill and talent are the things that almost every single person has a different definition of. The way different people understand what they are, is the source of many disagreements.