1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hindsight is 20/20: Post some past takes on Alperen Sengun which may not have hit the mark

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I have 145 posts about Sengun. They are almost all very positive, starting with stating that drafting him was my 'dream', but I have a few negative ones that look stupid in hindsight. I quoted the negative ones below.

July 11, 2021:

July 29, 2021:

Mar 9, 2022:

Oct 11, 2022:

April 6, 2023:

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

This take was just as bad as Bruno Fernando starting over Sengun, except it was never a possibility because we got rid of the crappiest coach in NBA history.

Ankara1923 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I know, I know! Landale?

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The best picture of Jock....

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I rarely post in the GARM, so pretty sure I don't have any posts saying anything super negative about Sengun.

I will admit that I had 0 interest in Sengun leading up to the 2021 draft. If anything, I wanted *other* teams to fool themselves into thinking he was good, so some other player might fall to the Rockets later in the round. I figured he was a slow, plodding undersized center who couldn't shoot. I literally watched no footage of him (*maybe* a 30 second highlight at most), but that was just the type of player I thought he was. Obviously I was wanting something like Harden 2.0 (or a piece that could compliment a Harden 2.0). Think I might have even had hope for Christian Wood at the time too (a very....not-Sengun player).

Anyway, the Rockets drafted him anyway, and I was a bit confused. Figured he'd be in the G League all year.

Then I actually saw him play that first summer league game (think he got 15pts/15rbs against Mobley and the Cavs?). In my defense, I pretty much did a 180 at that point. Granted, it was summer league, but there did seem to be something special about him. I didn't know how special (and I still don't). Maybe a solid rotation player? Maybe a good 6th man? Maybe a high end starter? Maybe borderline all-star? Etc. But I just knew I was wrong.

Now if I had actually put in any effort, I probably would have found that out earlier. But it is pretty fun to be wrong in those ways. I also liked the idea of getting Brook Lopez (though I still wanted Sengun to start and do Senhub stuff...somehow). Seems like I was probably wrong about that too (unless all else was equal except you swapped Jock with Brook....which seems very unlikely).

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Since we weren’t featuring him much at all when we were running the KPJ/Green duo I understood the idea behind benching Sengun to give him more opportunities with the ball running the 2nd unit.

Well we all know how that sounds now.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

July 31st, 2021

Can't fault our fearless leader for flip-flopping.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Self-reporting:

May 2, 2023:

As of today, it looks like I was really wrong.

The kind of player you hate when he is on someone else's team, but like when he is on your own team.

Deckard, Astrodome, maypk and 2 others like this.
  10. plegus

plegus Member

I had a similar reaction but did not voice it. Crow was so delicious I pickled some for later. Want some?

clos4life and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. plegus

plegus Member

BTW, I think we wouldnt have liked him so much if he was the exact same player from grizz. Yes we liked him but in a way, he developed and made us like him. Props, congrats and much love to Dillon.

12. playlife

playlife Member

Rinaldi, cml750 and clos4life like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I couldn't find my posts but I was not happy with Brooks, FVV signings and didn't think Amen could have a positive impact with his inconsistent shot. I am happy to report crow tastes really good when it helps the Rockets.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  14. cml750

cml750 Member

I have never said anything bad about Sengun other than his early season free throw woes but must happily admit I was dead wrong about Jabari who I considered a wasted pick all last season. Now he looks like he is the perfect compliment to Apli and will continue to get better.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Same here... Glad I was wrong.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Still think Duren is going to be great, but as of right now, no way I trade Goon for him. I also thought at one time it was tough giving up two 1st for him. Clearly I was wrong.

On another note, can't believe I had Porter in that lineup. That MF :mad:

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

You didn't want Alp and wanted KPJ!!!
    How much wrong a person can be?

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

1. Porter was who we had.

2. I thought highly of Sengun, but at the time, Duren was clearly a better defensive prospect which we really needed at the time. Now... I would not consider that trade.

#98 Believe It!, Jan 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2024
    cml750 and Ankara1923 like this.
  19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I like your honesty/modesty. Respect.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member