1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Video Game) Star Citizen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I left in 2014 to do something smaller.

They also moved the development primarily to England - they are doing fine - a game of this magnitude takes 7-10 years to finish, or at least get to where it is ready to ship - add that to the fact that they are also a LIVE team fixing bugs for and keeping a project up as they go, and it adds, IMHO about 30% -40% to the time to finish.

They have hit critical mass and raise a ton, but people seem to be ok with buying ships....and playing what is out there......I suspect once SQ42 hits as a single player game - (Shouldn't be long now) folks will be super happy.

I loved making the game - enjoyed my time there, the characters facial movement mirroring your web cam is something I brought in directly - and I continue to stay in touch with the key folks....and want them to be successful.

DD

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Even WebGL is javascript, so TypeScript is built for that. What I was referring to was the Quanta AI code. Maybe I misheard him in the video, it is the Quanta code that saw the dramatic increase in efficiency moving from Typescript for the convention demo to C# after, right?

that quanta code is server-side surely ... and I think he says that. So, server side TypeScript has huge benefits for nodeJS in combination with javascript client code, for example. He didnt say it, but if you move away from NodeJS (which is a JS webserver), and stop using NodeJS’s Chrome V8’s javascript runtime for Quanta code, that’s the Win.

they theoretically could still use TypeScript and Nodejs for Odin (and ?WebGL? or other HTML5 3D players), while offloading the Quanta code to C#. This would be for the webbased JupyterLab analytics of Odin, that he mentions. Thus, Odin’s entire codebase could be javascript for purposes of an Admin Control Room, whereby any webbased Admin queries of or edits (tweaks) to the universe are fired off to webservices in C# managing the Quanta.

in that respect, there is a good reason to do Typescript first, since part of it will remain.

anyhoot, thx as always for your game posts. For fun to read, and that interview you posted now makes me interested as a potential player some day!!

RC Cola likes this.
  3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yes, I believe all the quanta simulation stuff is server side (and yes, it is the one that saw efficiency gains when moving to C#), and I think all you say here is more or less how I understand it.

Doing it all in TypeScript (with a NodeJS back-end) vs TypeScript front-end/C# (or whatever) back-end just seems like a proof-of-concept project that was not intended to be used in a production environment (especially one as demanding as Star Citizen). They had to have known from the beginning that they'd need something like C# to handle all the heavy processing needed server-side, but as you suggested, I'm wondering if maybe they didn't have resources available to do that in the available time frame. So they might have just had the guys doing the UI do the server-side work (in NodeJS) just to get it ready to demo to the public (and test out features I guess?).

The way it is currently set up is how I think it should have been from the beginning, hence why I brought it up as a possible example of why things take so long for development of this project as a whole. Personally, I would have just delayed the public demo (or faked the back-end) if that would have helped, but there might be other reasons for why they did it this way (e.g., test out viability of the design and iterate on that quicker maybe?). To be fair, they probably did fake some things (so not a lot of work was actually done in TypeScript?), and it *probably* isn't that tough to migrate that initial TypeScript code to C# (much better than vanilla JS at least). There are probably other things going on with the development that are much worse than this. :)

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You should make an arcade game where 99ers just step on non 99ers like Rampage
    [​IMG]

5. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Bug Citizen

(and this will only get worse once they introduce components/component-HP and destructible environment)

Which is too, too bad, because it's otherwise a pretty awesome sandbox.

RC Cola likes this.
  6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Don't play Star Citizen much, and I only watched a few minutes of the video, but I wonder if that might be something that they'd have resolved with their new server tech. It kinda seems like a server sync issue, though I'm not a huge expert on these specific kind of issues. If I'm right, then yeah they probably will "ignore" it until that new tech is fully online.

Having said that, I don't really have a lot of faith that their new server tech will actually work well. Showed a cool demo at CitizenCon (after years in development), but until it is in-game and doing what it is supposed to do (including scaling up/down), I'm not sure I'd 100% assume this stuff will all magically go away.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

People are still giving money for Star Citizen? LOL.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

explains DDs new yacht

clos4life likes this.