1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka after tough loss to Sixers, big game from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Green made the right read. Landale had a wide open Holiday in the corner, the easiest 3 in basketball. Landale and Ime for having him in the game were the problem.

A_3PO, jim1961 and Dankstronaut like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

Ehh...Maxey is your prototypical regular season player. Small framed and apt at drawing fouls that won't be there in the post season. He clearly learned from Harden but the Celtics/Bucks will put him in the grinder. Free throw merchants don't win.

SGA is more who I'd like Jalen to end up being. Craftier and leverages his body better with high efficiency. Green is much more explosive than Shai though so he feels less of a need to develop those parts of his game.

BigMaloe, Mathloom and Hemingway like this.
  3. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Didn’t Stone insist we get Maxey and Daryl vehemently shot it down? I’m almost certain Maxey was the tipping point of us NOT trading Harden to the Sixers.

4. conquistador#11

No Individual should be at the line more than 10x. Not Bird Not Magic, MJ but somehow the Rockets weren't getting fouled. Mhhmm. Sure, Adam.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

really nice passes to sengun. i was very pleasantly surprised with them.

Believe It! and Patience like this.
  7. BigMaloe

this is actually a great breakdown. appreciate the post.

i do agree with Udoka, there is a small window to pull up from 3 before tobias is there. Credit to melton to double off of jock, seems like jalen was ready to iso against tobias and had to pass out.

but watching this again, especially in slow motion and broke down like this and my lord jock, wtf is you doing....

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wonder: does Ime talk this monotone in the locker room and coaching meetings? :D

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ime doesn't fully agree with you, though. The rightest of reads would've been getting the shot off. I won't defend Landale.

"The intent of the play was to get a quick 3 or a pick and pop.... I thought he had a chance to get the 3 off."

Deckard likes this.
  10. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

It's tough…past three games, i believe we could've won two, the one against indy n this one.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. BigMaloe

we've gotten better at winning close tough games at the end vs bad and middling teams, but havent been able to close out the tough games against the top teams.

this was a similar hump early in the season against those lesser teams where we learned how to close out.

this is another hump we have to overcome.

DeBeards and anthony59237 like this.
  12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On re-watch, Jalen was actually pretty decisive and passed out of the double team early. This actually meant there was about 7 seconds when Landale got the ball — plenty of time for one or two more passes (flip side - Jalen could’ve taken the 3 and had Landale looking for a rebound with only Maxey on him). The best read was Holiday open in the corner, who could’ve either taken the shot or passed to an open Van Vleet if Bev was on him. Even still, he was looking at an open Tate in the corner. That’s not a shot I’m excited about, but still better than Landale 2.

Still, should’ve been Jeff Green given how ineffective the Landale screens were. This game would’ve been different if Sengun or Bari were available, too.

Believe It!, xaos and Dankstronaut like this.
  13. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I believe this is correct. I think I remember multiple teams that wouldn't trade for Harden because Maxey was off-limits.

Also, I think it was showing at the time, but obvious now why the Sixers wouldn't let go of him.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Perfect analysis.

In the moment I thought it was Jalen's shot too, but looking at how much time there is left I'm convinced now he 100% made the right play. Jock not catching a single body on like 4 pick attempts, not popping, rolling late, not passing out to 3 open shooters, going up soft for a layup (needed 3) against two defenders and missing the shot. It's hard to imagine 12 seconds going any worse than that.

BigMaloe likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like IMe, but I am not convinced he is a mastermind as an Xs and Os guy.....

Really would love to see a Rick Adelman type running the offense.

DD

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This.

And for anyone saying trust the coach when it comes to other **** dont be selective.

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Thats funny because after watching that and initially putting some blame on Landale i now put it all on Green.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Do tell.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Beverly had already started rotating to the corner so it wouldve been a tougher pass for Landale than i thought at first or at least a contested shot.

Maybe Holiday swings it to Fred, but by that time Melton was rotating back over as well.

We all know Landale has limitations and even though i disagree with Ime even having him in the game im sure the last thing he wanted was to have the ball in his hands with the game in the line.

Green was having a good game and Ime gave him the ball in the closing seconds and he deferred to Landale.

Green couldve either taken the shot himself or made the pass to the corner himself. Not pass to the worst player to touch the floor.

Green is getting kudos for making a basic pass off a double team. Standards are low. Anyone couldve made that pass. Do something extraordinary.

Special players arent putting the fate of the game in Landale's hands. They take that shot when they get that split second or see that pass to the corner and make it themselves.

#39 xtruroyaltyx, Dec 30, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    clutchdabear and Reeko like this.
  20. corrado

corrado Member

Special player? Jalen "Bust" Green? The dude coming off a worst stretch of his career? Yeah let's criticize him for not being confident enough to take a shot with a game on the line.