1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Out of those 6 guys, none of them will come close to the elite innings Framber has been able to pitch the last 3+ years. They do not think Hunter Brown has TOR potential and they do not think Javier can pitch a full season. LMJ will come back healthy one of these days (until the next injury)… and Garcia is probably the next best hope for extending this window, but won’t be an every 4th day starter till 2025 at the earliest.

You’re clearly in the “avoid the rebuild” camp vs. the “win it all” camp… when in reality, they’re likely in a position to rebuild no matter what in 2026.

#2661 Nick, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And they’re unlikely to win it again… nor should any team be striving for that crappy 90 win team as the “blueprint”.

They also had to trade major prospects for half a season of Montgomery and Scherzer, while Eovaldi was better than any of the non Framber Astros starters last year.

Stephen66 and Nook like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

4. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I guess you missed the “if need be” part. At some point- the Astros can’t afford to keep letting players walk for absolutely nothing.

Yamamoto to the dodgers by the way

5. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

What's the over/under on arm injuries and IL stints over those 12 years?

3 and 7?

7. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Too bad Dave Roberts is still an incompetent manager

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet many here all in on trading a guy who hasn’t had any arm injuries and relying upon a rotation of either young arms that have never pitched a full season… or arms that are older and already had surgery.

Stephen66, texans1095 and desihooper like this.
  9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Looking forward to when Murakami and Sasaki get posted and sign with the Dodgers

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

At least their in the NL

raining threes likes this.
  11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

And might as well sign Shota Imanaga tomorrow to add depth to their rotation lol.

Also how much are they paying Orix? $50 million or so so basically a $375 million contract lol

Also after missing out on Ohtani and Yamamoto, hopefully the Jays or Yankees don't go hard after Rodriguez who were in the mix.

Nook likes this.
  12. Mattician

Mattician Member

I don't think I've ever wanted a professional sports team to lose more than the Dodgers.

IowaAstro, ROCKSS, Radricky and 3 others like this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Nobody past present or future will ever touch the draymond warriors for me but the dodgers are definitely trying

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm not ALL IN on trading him, but I think trading him could be very very smart.

This is no longer the 2019 team.

#1 for the first time in 8-9 years, there is a very definite end to the window in sight.

#2 The team has several needs and is not 22 players deep, much less 26.

#3 the starting rotation is the deepest part of the team, and therefore the logical place to deal from.

#4 Framber will bring the biggest best return (among SP) IF the team decides a trade is needed to fill holes.

Three potential types of deals:

#1 3+ top prospects that should absolutely allow the Astros a chance to compete for several years while Alvarez, Javier, Diaz, Brown, etc are under control.

This deal would significantly hurt 2014 and 2025 without enough certainty that 2026+ will be better. It would be a very poor decision in my opinion.

#2 at least 2 young semi proven players who have already had some success in MLB and project to be 3+ WAR level for 5+ years PLUS a high ceiling top prospect.

This deal has little (or no) negative impact to 2024 or 2025 with the opportunity to be a big boost to 2026-29 or 30.

To me this would be the type of trade that could be a good decision if the players involved fit Astros needs.

#3 a proven MLB player who becomes an obvious starter but unlikely to be all star level plus 2 organization top prospects who project to be potential all-stars and close to MLB ready.

This would likely be a salary neutral (or close) trade which is the purpose of the established player.

This trade probably hurts 2024 but not 2025 and has moderate improvements to 2026+. I would not like this type of trade.

Bottom line is about risk. If the Astros are confident that they can get 972 competitive innings from a combination of JV, Javier, Brown, France, Urquidy, McCullers, Garcia, Arrighetti, Bielak, Dubin, and Blanco then they can consider trading Framber. If not they can't. Either way it doesn't mean they should.

But SP is crazy valuable now.

#2674 IdStrosfan, Dec 21, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    Radricky likes this.
  15. Aware

Aware Member

dodgers signed yamamoto too? really?

I'm glad we cheated them. **** them.

[​IMG]

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  16. Aware

Aware Member

Like actually spent over a billion on 2 players

Nook likes this.
  17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Do the Dodgers still have money for Hader???

18. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

When do the Dodgers hire Joe Torre...at least the Astros got a backup catcher, that's cool I guess...

19. raining threes

Agreed with your philosophy. However I think Baez will be ready by 2015, maybe earlier. If trading Framber means Brown gets a Randy Johnson type deal then I'm on n board with trading him.

The Stros dynasty will last as long as the pitching is top tier. I want Brown to focus on picking, there's not a young ace in the farm system as far as I can tell. But there are several SP3 type guys.

Keep the band together for the next couple of years and draft heavily when it comes to pitching. Also let's keep getting pitching from the Dominican, Cuba, Venezuela etc.

As far as the everyday lineup goes, if Bregs walks they will need to trade for a 3B. I'm betting on Baez being a star level player to replace Tucker in 2025. So I don't think the dynasty will end because of the lack of good, great every day players. They just need to find pitching, pitching and more pitching.

I don't like that Brown is going to change the model that's been so successful.

20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

In gacha game term, the dodgers are fking whales.
    Literally just outspending everybody in the league

ROCKSS likes this.