1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Recommendation] Chinese Cleaver Knife

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuraGotMadHops, Dec 18, 2023.

1. SuraGotMadHops

On my Christmas wish list this year - always wanted one but it seems there are a lot of knockoff/junk ones out there. Just wanted to see if anybody has one and what kind they recommend.

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

So American handcrafted cleaver knives aren't good enough for you? ****ing communist...

[​IMG]

3. Buck Turgidson

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

If you're in Houston go to a JKS or another rearaurant supply store.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I like the smaller versions called the Nakiri. As far as brand, I dont really care cause i abuse the **** out of that utility knife, so I just ordered a semi-cheap one and keep it sharp. Maybe one day Ill get like a Wusthof or such.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You can't beat that now, a Chinese made American knife kit. God bless this great country of ours...

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

i got this at the alamo

[​IMG]

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, the Usuba's the better knife when you're working with this quantity.

10. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Do you intend to use this knife for general usage (vegetables, meats) or for chopping bones?

11. adoo

adoo Member

i've seen them in Chinese grocery stores (99 Ranch Market), Korean grocery stores (H Mart) and Japanese grocery stores (Misuwa)

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The hand is mightier than the cleaver

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

daywalker02 and Amiga like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Plenty of similar one (and different variants of them) available at your local Asian supermarket in Houston. They aren’t at all expensive, and if you know how to sharpen knives, you can get a very sharp knife with these. I have three of them, and they last forever.

14. SuraGotMadHops

General usage, don't need one insanely heavy, but would like one still strong enough to breakdown a turkey with ease.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Cutting through joints with a Chinese 'vegetable' cleaver will be no problem. Though I wouldn't use it to chop through leg bones.

I recommend trying out Shi Ba Zi Zuo brand cleavers. They make very solid knives for less than $50. I would definitely recommend not getting something very expensive to start with. Chinese cleavers will feel very different from western knives in terms of weight and balance. You won't know what blade length and weight you'll like until you've tried one. The F208-2 is kind of a middle of the road in terms of size that would be a good starter. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801709781203.html

Lately I've been using this Mercer M21024 cleaver. It has a rounded profile like a western knife, but has the tall blades like a cleaver. It's wonderful for chopping then scooping. You can even rock chop in a pinch with it, which you can't do with a traditional cleaver. The pointed tip also makes it a bit easier to maneuver in small spaces. It felt a bit short at first compared to a 8" chef's knife, but I got used to it quickly. It's now the first knife I reach for for general usage. The knife feels extremely lightweight, which I like. The only criticism I have is the sharp angle when the spine curves down. I wish it was rounded. The sharp corner makes it uncomfortable to rock chop with my palm (probably bad technique on my part!). I had to adjust to using my finger tips with less force than I am used to.

#15 jchu14, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  16. SuraGotMadHops

I ended up going with this Shi Ba Zi Zuo, and I am very excited to start using it. Seemed versatile and a good choice for beginners.

jchu14 likes this.
  17. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

18. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I used to use whetstones to sharpen my knifes, but I now use sharpeners like these because it is so much quicker and easier to use:

Just make sure to get one that is compatible with your set of knives (Japanese vs German blades).

19. adoo

adoo Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.