1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should trade Jalen Green for Donovan Mitchell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Nov 19, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's about opening a championship window, not just contending for a championship like once or twice. How many players not named LeBron stay at the same level as they start to get past their early 30s? If we're going to drop serious assets trading for a guy--and make no mistake Donovan Mitchell (if he even becomes available) will require a bunch of picks and at least one good young player--I want him to be a guy who helps us open up a 3+ year window of contending for a title. It's hard to win a championship, you really need to have years to get it done. Look how long it took Jokic to finally win one once they were technically/theoretically ready to go for it.

anthony59237 and roslolian like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Donovan is a dog and a good fit. I don't think we could get him but I would definitely try.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This is whom he should be training and learning with and not someone he'll never be, KD..

BigShasta likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can you tell me some players that fit your criteria

5. MystikArkitect

Winning players: Jayson Tatum, Jalen Brown, Devin Booker, Anthony Edwards, SGA, Mikal Bridges, Jimmy Butler, Deearon Fox, Jalen Brunson

There's a reason Donovan Mitchell is attainable.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

His teams have a 63% winning percentage for his career.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Thinking about fit alongside Sengun, or possibly alongside Amen (I feel like similar players would be good with either of those two):

Jayson Tatum, Jaren Jackson Jr, Tyrese Maxey, Chet Holmgren, Franz Wagner, Lauri Markkanen (borderline).

Yeah most of these guys are essentially impossible for us to acquire right now, but you never know what might happen down the road if we hold onto our assets--trade demands and so on--or what other players might emerge and become available.

I would consider trading for Lauri over Mitchell right now. I think he's better off the ball and a comparable offensive talent, and he's a little bit younger (although still borderline too old for our timeline IMO). He doesn't fit our need for better play at the 2, but we've got Amen & Cam coming up anyway so I'm not as worried about that. Probably one of those two can end up locking down the position long-term if we trade away Jalen.

robbie380 likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

How is he a dog? Dude doesn't play defense and monopolize the ball a lot.

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Let me rephrase, under Ime, he would be a dog. He is exactly the offense this team needs. We would score 120 a game. He can play defense.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jokic is 28 and Murray is 26. Sengun is 21 why you wanna pair him with 27 yr old Mitchell?

Plus Murray, MPJ and Gordon are all role players alongside Jokic, if Jokic goes down Nuggets might not even be a playoff team.

anthony59237 likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

He never bothered playing in defense in Utah and didn't play defense in Cleveland. He is 27 and set in his ways I doubt he'll play defense for the Rox.

If he was 24 or younger you can convince me it be worth trying out but at his age he is too old to partner with 21 yr old Sengun. When Sengun is 26 and ready to win a ring like Jokic Mitchell is gonna be in his 30s and you'll only have 1-3 yr window before it closes. I think that's a shame if you have a supreme talent like Sengun but then close his window prematurely instead of maximizing it.

Why you think the Cp3 Harden combo didn't work? It's cuz Harden was 28 and ready to win rings while Cp3 was 33 and ready to get washed. If they were both 28 they'd have a 5 yr window and prob have at least 1 ring by now.

#51 roslolian, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    anthony59237 and OremLK like this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Can you name a time where a team led by Mitchell has been favored in a playoff series?

13. dmoneybangbang

As always, depends on the price...

My main issue is that it will be a highly competitive market for Mitchell where I'm sure he has a list of teams/cities he'd like to play and sign for. Decent chance Houston would be a place he would agree to sign a lucrative contract with but still would be very competitive.

I'd rather not though.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Am not sure, but I did put their current season into Stathead to compare.

[​IMG]

3rd season compared:

[​IMG]

Both at same age compared (Mitchell's first season, Green's third season):

[​IMG]

Astrodome likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I have no clue but I’d guess 2018 and 2021. Why are you moving the goalposts?

His teams have never had a losing record and you said he’s not a winning player.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You uh... you don't really think Donovan Mitchell goes for 37 a night, right?

Donovan Mitchell age 21:
    20.5 pts - 3.7 ast - 3.7 rbs - .437 fg% - .34 3% - .805 ft% - 17.2 fga

Jalen Green age 21:
    17.5 pts - 3.2 ast - 4.5 rbs - .402 fg% - .331 3% - .815 ft% - 14.3 fga

He's having a terrible month shooting the ball. This is clown **** though.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i love Mitchell! Dude is inefficient as heck - but the right coach can make it good. Too talented to pass on if he was available imo...

he's a rich mans kpj - with the ability to keep his head on straight! lol

realizing im in the minority... but dude is too talented... id give Ime a shot at him...

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I would do it only if the Rockets truly are in "win-now" mode i.e. fighting for the top 5-6 spots in the playoffs - Rockets need another go-to scorer alongside Sengun. You cant reliably put the ball in Jalen's hands to score - at least not that I've seen.

if you're fighting for the "play-in" - keep Jalen to see how he performs under playoff pressure.

19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Mitchell would move the current Rockets into the Top 4 of the Western Conference. He's exactly what is missing on this team. We can surround him with the best supporting cast he has ever had.

20. MystikArkitect

Oh I thought we were building a contender. I'll admit we should trade for Mitchell so we can have a winning record and be 1st round fodder just like the Cavs.

anthony59237 likes this.