1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you 100% on Jalen's shooting mechanics being a problem, but I have to say, Cam Thomas is possibly the most one-dimensional scorer I've seen in the league right now. He's actually a worse defender than Jalen is and while he has an EXCELLENT feel for scoring I think he doesn't really read the game well besides that.

Would current Cam Thomas help the team win more games than current Jalen? I'm pretty positive it would be yes. But even with lowered expectations for Jalen, I think Cam would be a pretty bad fit with FVV and I'd rather have this current Jalen who takes maybe at max 12-14 shots a game and we can watch Alpi (plus Jalen at least has pretty good chemistry with Alpi on the pick and roll, I feel like Cam would be looking for his own shot a tad too much).

2. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

His EFFORT has been better but his lack of fundamentals on defense is still pretty apparent.

And this is coming from someone very firmly on the Jalen Green side of things.

But at least to me there's the promise that he could become a positive defender because before this year all I could say was that he has great lateral movement but never uses it.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this thread even about Cam anymore? His opportunity might be coming sooner than we expected.

4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I have to admit that my dumb ass confused this thread for one of the other ones and I'm guilty of completely derailing the conversation.

Back to Cam Whitmore...he looks great! He should get some run in the big leagues soon, because he's earned it :cool:

Hakeemtheking and kubli9 like this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Agreed. Him actually attempting to try on the defensive end has shifted him positively from the worst defender in the league.

Once again, his non-existent basketball IQ is ruining another aspect of his game.

He's never going to be a good defender because he's never going to read an offensive and know where he should be.

At this point it's finding out just how bad is tolerable with him on the defensive end.

It'd be more acceptable if he wasn't as bad offensively.

Roomba likes this.
  6. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly bballiq is also kind of a problem with Cam, but while feel for the game might not necessarily be able to be taught, improving on reads and increasing overall basketball intelligence is definitely possible--and we have one of the best staffs in the league to do it. That's one of the reasons I remain relentlessly and annoyingly positive.

In the past we ran like headless chickens for 47 minutes and maybe got serious if the game was close or something. Nowadays: You do something dumb? You sit, and/or get called out for it. Accountability is key to growth, and I believe Ime Udoka is definitely a hell of an accountant.

..I may have used that word wrong

7. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

That's fair. Maybe I was being harsh

DaDakota likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

After yesterday I'm officially on board the train. Give Cam a shot. Give him 10 minutes to see what he can do. We are losing games because our offense stinks.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It is tough to integrate new players into the rotation with absolutely no practice time. I think Ime is concentrated on getting Amen back into the rotation, because his defense off the bench could have been a difference maker the last 2 games. Mitchell and Middleton would both have had a harder time with Amen on the court. I think Cam may get called up in the upcoming long home stand, because even with b2b’s there will be more practice time. I have been preaching patience with Jalen, but he needs a confidence boost and maybe having him come off the bench is a good idea. We could have a hell of a transition game with Amen, Tari, Green, Holiday running sprints.

OremLK, Crashlanded19 and napalm06 like this.
  10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Cam definitely has the attributes to be a great defender. Whether he has the hustle and IQ to be a great defender... we will just have to see when he does finally get minutes.

MadMax likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I meant Jalen...not Cam. I need to see more of Cam.

12. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

It is very obvious you don't know what you are talking about. We have one of the best defenses in the league without an elite rim protector. Do you have any idea how unusual that is?

It is because everyone is working as a unit and all of our guys including Green are really good at navigating screens, helping when they should, communicating when to switch and recovering.

Green more than even Sengun has made insane progress from last year. A...cause Sengun was never as bad as everyone thought. And B...cause Green never was told what to do.

Maybe he won't ever be what we want. Cam seems to have physical ability and shooting prowess that Green doesn't. But Jalen is already a good defender and the leap he's made from last year to this makes me think he might end up a plus plus defender. Knocking his defense is stupid. Like Jabari all he needs his more strength to be great on that end. Offense...well that is a whole other thing. I think he probably won't figure that out. AAU disease is real on that end.

anthony59237 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Glad to hear that you are a humble poster. We need more of that. DD is not a troll or a braggart. Nothing wrong about reporting going to a game or being proud of your family. In general, DD seems to be a good guy that just holds on to bad takes too long. He used to be a really good objective poster that did a podcast. Now he gets a little cranky like a lot of us old guys.

GotGame15, DaDakota and GOATuve like this.
  14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Thanks. I don't pretend or think I know anything more than anyone who posts here. I shouldn't have criticized him for it. I'd. actually like to check out his old podcast if you have a link. @DaDakota if you have one as well I'll take a look. We all get there sometimes

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I stopped reading after your first 10 words.

Imagine saying someone doesn't know what they're talking about... after everything they said was true hahahaha.

Take a seat kid.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Good? No I wouldn’t go that far - but he is greatly improved defensively and is no longer a liability. He is defensively in the middle of the pack.

Green deserves at least the rest of this year - and likely gets next year too.

The good news is that if Ime Udoka concludes that Green isn’t going to be good enough, he won’t play him.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have some thoughts after seeing Cam in person, but I want to think a bit before posting them.

DD

anthony59237 and harold bingo like this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ime is cleansing all the Carmelo Anthony out of his system. No doubt Cam is ready .

harold bingo likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thinking before you post? When has that every stopped anyone before?

Nook likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I promise it is only temporary.

DD

Nook, AroundTheWorld and harold bingo like this.