1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Do You Stand on Jalen Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 19, 2023.

?

Pick the one that best fits your opinion

1. 10- Jalen will be everything we want. Superstar potential. Needs a bit more time.

2.1%
  2. 9- He may not be a superstar. An all-star perhaps.

5.1%
  3. 8-

2.6%
  4. 7- He will still be a valuable player.

12.4%
  5. 6- He may still come around, but it will take longer than we hoped.

20.5%
  6. 5- On the fence. Things could go equally either way.

17.9%
  7. 4-

9.8%
  8. 3- He will not ever be the guy we hoped. Role player at best.

23.5%
  9. 2-

1.3%
  10. 1- Hopeless. Worthless. Trade him.

4.7%
  1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wanted to get a better feel to what this board really thinks.
    Its hard to tell reading the threads because some folks speak louder and more often than others.

This way, everyone speaks at the same volume and all opinions count the same.

2. a time to chill

I voted 4. All the risks that were in his draft profile are still there. I think if he was going to be the player we had hoped we wouldn't still have these questions about him in year 3.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Nice poll. I'm still on the fence about his ultimate outcome, so I voted 5, but I do think he needs to go to the bench until he proves he's good enough to start. In my book Tari has proven he deserves to start and at this point Jalen is not playing well enough to justify his minutes or status as a starter. Yes, the lineup may be a little more awkward on paper since Dillon isn't really a 2 guard and Tari is more of a combo forward, but both have shown they can defend guards pretty well, and both can hit open threes, so I think it works well enough (with Sengun as the secondary playmaker in the halfcourt).

I hope Jalen can turn his season around, but for now I hope Ime plans to stick to what he said about "everything is earned" coming into the season.

BigMaloe, albuster and Rashmon like this.
  4. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I voted 1. I wanted him to succeed but he just ain’t it man. I hope I’m wrong I want to be wrong but until then 1.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

4 - he is on the road to be a second banana gunner for bad teams for his whole career, and I'm glad he's usually getting benched when the game is on the line. Conversely, he's 21 and we don't particularly need Ws right now, so I'm okay continuing to start him, give him 25+ minutes, and plan for a future with him because the alternative is abandoning a 21-year old #2 pick for almost no return. He can still improve.

I have personally lost faith in him as a building block, but it would be shortsighted for the team to abandon development without a viable replacement.

Title99 and albuster like this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I had a hard time choosing between 7-9.

I have to admit that I'm more of a half full than half empty kind of guy DOE....:)

Go Rockets!!!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There are some choices that are not mutually exclusive.

I am on the fence (5), but also think that he could still turn around and more time is needed (6), and even if he doesn't turn out to be a star, he still has a chance to be a good player (7).

gotsis, Believe It!, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Looks like a 6.

albuster likes this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling this thread is going to live on for a long time.

So for posterity's sake here's where I stand: I have hope that Jalen will become an all-star caliber player. Neither his numbers nor the eye-test justify my optimism as of this moment.

And yet...

I can't help but to hope he finds his wings with the Rockets.

Do rockets even have wings, though? Well, if not...

I hope he finds his thrusters with the Rockets.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⣴⠿⠋⠁⢀⢳⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣿⣿⢧⣀⠀⠀⡾⢸⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⡾⠏⠁⠙⠻⣏⣹⡖⣧⢼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡾⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⢑⣟⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣰⢯⣤⣿⣿⣿⡒⢦⣄⠀⠀⢸⠏⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⠃⣾⣿⠟⠉⠉⠙⢿⣈⣧⠀⣘⢰⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⡇⢸⣿⣯⠀Jalen⠈⡏⢩⢀⣟⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⡴⢻⡿⠃⠀⢻⣾⣧⣄⣀⣀⡼⢷⡎⡼⡼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣾⡿⢣⣿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠉⠛⠭⣹⡯⠤⣾⣿⡽⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⡾⣅⣀⣈⣃⣼⣿⠓⢦⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣴⠟⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢹⣿⠋⠛⢾⣏⠉⢒⣦⢄⣠⣿⣏⢾⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⢷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠚⢯⣴⣾⡽⣇⠋⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⡷⢤⣀⠀⠀⠀⣠⡿⣡⠾⢧⠈⠀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡰⠛⠋⠛⠳⢦⣍⡒⠾⣹⠞⠁⠀⠀⠙⢦⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠞⢠⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢁⣟⣳⠖⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠲⠧⠔⢻⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠐⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⣦⠀⠀⢠⣠⡄⢠⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠏⠀⡰⠃⠀⢳⠞⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡞⠀⡜⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⢀⠞⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

...I voted 7, just in case

10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

At this point he's a 6th man imo but I don't like being overreactionary either. We'll see at the end of the year. Right now it makes no sense to trade him. You're not going to get anything outside of a bad contract and late picks.

burlesk likes this.
  11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

last year, a lot of us here scoffed at the idea that jalen's ceiling would ultimately be a jordan clarkson/malik monk type of player - mostly because he was the 2nd overall pick and that would be a pretty big disappointment.

welp, his 3rd season is here, and just like i trashed kpj for not improving his game last year, neither has jalen. our expectations for jalen were too high for someone who was actually 6'4" 170 lbs and not 6'6" 190. those early comparisons to mj and kobe were also way far off... jalen has none of that killer instinct... he is perfectly okay with getting embarrassed on the court instead of being the one embarassing others and going after them as if they stole something from him the way mj and kobe played.

BigggReddd, burlesk and YOLO like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My initial impression of him, early in his rookie season, was he reminded me of Jamal Crawford (physical frame and offense/defense aptitude) and he was most likely to develop into that level of player. Obviously not a perfect comparison.

He had a string of high scoring games the last couple seasons that put my hopes up. What we are seeing this year is him adjusting to more of a supporting role. I don’t see the strides I would expect from someone who will develop into a perennial all-star. He may still become a solid starting caliber player, but right now he’s probably the least effective player in the starting lineup.

Season is still early and he’s going through a role adjustment. I’ll go with 5 in the poll.

#12 durvasa, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

IF you can attain a superstar via trade you include Jalen + whatever else you have to in order to make it work (within reason). If you cant find a worthy 'star' then you let the market set a price after the rookie deal and slowly reduce his responsibility on the team if he's still getting in his own way.

groovemachine likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

His game bipolarness goes back to his aau days. Ain't nothing changing, 3rd option if he ever comes around. Bad iq, unseriousness, bad defense, just too much shot to overcome.

Also, 3 years with Silas solidified that this is ok.

#14 cheke64, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    BigggReddd and Crashlanded19 like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I chose 5. Maybe I'm more 5.5 than anything.

I just don't think he'll ever be a good shooter. He has too many years of bad shot mechanics to overcome and muscle memory to overwrite. Maybe he can still be a positive player despite poor shooting because he attacks often on offense and forces fouls or converts at the rim a decent amount, but I can't say with any confidence that will happen. And if it does ever happen, what are the odds that it happens in the next 2-3 years? Seems slim. A 28 year old Jalen could be nice, sure, but no one who wanted to draft him thought he'd be a "nice" player in his prime.

I say this as someone who advocated drafting him at #2. I liked him coming in and I still really want him to succeed. So it sucks that I'm now so down on him.

16. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I voted “4”.

I would prefer to package him, a contract and a brooklyn pick for a known commodity who checks off two of the following boxes: Consistent shooter, Plus defender, ability to self create (Mikal Bridges, Dejounte Murray, Markennen, for example)

We still have Cam, Amen, Bari, Tari and Alpy as young guys with big upside.

ApolloRLB and raining threes like this.
  17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

First off, nice Poll! Like I said in the Cavs vs Rockets game thread last night, everyone projected Jalen to be a star based upon his previous two seasons. All we thought was that he had to gain more weight/strength and experience.....NONE OF US FORESAW THIS!

Im a fan, but dude has been horrible! And I think it can be alluded to several things, not having KPJ here, a different voice in Ime, different players and skeems but most of all, I think he miss John Lucas.

If you all remember it was Lucas who worked with him the most. Help develop his shot. And I think that is what's missing. Im not sure Ime would want Lucas to work with him or not, he probably just want Jalen to hear one voice....I DON'T KNOW.

However, I have seen development in other areas; passing, rebounding and playmaking.

Carpe82, albuster and burlesk like this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He legit showed superstar flashes last year, so I'm not ready to write him off. He looks more like his 1st season than his second so far this year when he went through that big confidence slump. I think he's actually probably struggling the most to adjust to the new regime but is still trying his hardest to blow up, he's forcing on offense and that's blatant at this point. I genuinely think this kid is a future all-star, but I'm not convinced we'll see that this season. I wouldn't be suprised if he has a few superstar flashes between now and the end of the season just like last year, but generally won't have as consistent numbers with being the 3rd/4th option now in the gameplan. However his defense and hustle numbers will be like night and day. I actually think he'll bloom more towards the end of the year and next season will break out around the same time as Jabari does. If he does that on another team I'll be pissed off.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Somebody posted in the summer time he’s needs to work on becoming more crafty. He had a bag during the Silas era but right now he’s bag less in Ime’s offense.

20. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

7, he’s working hard at playing team ball this year and slowly improving his rebounding, passing, and position defense. At worst he will be a 6th man who can score in bunches and take over games when he’s on.

That’s certainly a valuable player.