1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

or you just need to understand that he is a young player who won't hit his peak for 3-4 years yet. You have to have patience with players. We are winning and that is all that matters.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am about at the point where I dont care what the stats say.
    Splitting hairs to whether he has improved or by how much doesnt matter to me.

What does is the eye test.
    When he has gotten where we want him to go, where he wants to go, it will be obvious to the eyes.

Plowman and Bo6 like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Young team, have patience.

Bo6 likes this.
  4. Umut

Umut Member

He is very confident in his athleticism, but what he forgets is that the NBA is a league full of incredibly athletic players, he must definitely improve his decision-making mechanism, otherwise he will not be able to go further than the role of the 6th man scoring from the bench throughout his career. I wish some American players could play in Europe instead of the g league before entering the draft. If they play for 1 year, the G League is a complete circus, those who watch a little will understand what I mean

Hello from turkey, lets go rockets

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If his issues were simply due to poor shooting, no issue. But issues like him having zero feel 3 years in a row attacking the rim is the concern. Did he improve in some areas? Yes, but none of the areas I had much concern for long term. I always thought as a rookie he would be a solid defender if he put in effort and showed some more passing ability if he got more touches and if his ball handling improved. But my concern was his feel for halfcourt offense in general.

Now again, completely against this whole "trade him" nonsense since I would much rather gamble on his upside than take a mediocre asset back for short-term gain.

I am rooting for him since he was the guy I was hyped for more than others to the point. If he can succeed, I can comfortably imagine us as a legitimate contender down the road. If not, a lot of hope will then be placed on Amen/Cam to be the secondary (or even primary) guy to Sengun.

Sengun's emergence overall though at least have been promising. I always believed he would be an all-star level offensive player, but I was worried about the type of defense we could have with him at his peak. But both him and Ime have done fantastic job on that end.

It makes me wonder what the hell LIonel Hollins even did for us last year

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Okay.

Sydeffect likes this.
  7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Thought-provoking. Good thoughts

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Dude, this is YEAR ONE of this group of players, plus some vets, plus a NEW COACHING REGIME.

They've played 1/4 of one NBA season.

I may be crazy, but I'd give them a little more time.

Next offseason, wanna make some thought-provoking changes?

Okay.

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Sure, notice the part where I said concern and not "he can't". I assume you didn't read the statement which wouldn't surprise me. As a whole, the Celtics had the same issue under Udoka's first season as far as offensive issues before they clicked. But I also do think simply handwaving away concerns about a player as a youth is naive.

Trading him or any calls to trade him before year 4 is foolish

10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

A lot of the young guys plus dillon brooks have been vindicated, their critics are much quieter this year. My concern is that Jalen is likely happy to be a part of a more cohesive team with better coaching, but his confidence and ego may start being effected seeing everyone else make strides. How he responds to this is kind of crucial at this stage for the next 6-12 months. He seems so much quieter on the court, he likely doesn't feel like he needs to lead w FVV out there, but looks very passive in general. He seemed to build a bond with a few guys like KPJ and his old friend Josh Christopher, KJ Martin, those guys are all gone. You see the confidence building among Tari, Jabari, Alpi every day. In regards to confidence Jalen may be took steps backwards. If he got traded and is successful, people will blame our staff, but sometimes you just need a fresh start. I would highly prefer he figures it out in Houston.

11. Buck Turgidson

Indeed. We're okay. For now. :)

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

I don't know of any team who would want to release anyone who is better than him without us coughing up some future 1sts. Everyone knows who he is at this point and I doubt anyone is hyped about adding him. I sure wouldn't offer anything of value for him if he were on another team and was available to be added to our team. He's a backup at this point and that's it and I wouldn't make him a first option.

13. prs325

prs325 Member

I pull my hair from his inconsistencies
    But I have to remind myself that he is only 21, even if he's been in the league for 3 years
    Cant give up on him, he's still a pup

His leap will probably happen when he turns 23, thats entering his 5th year
    Thats still super young
    And Im afraid that the Rox may have traded him already and were seeing him succeed in a different uniform
    Have a little more patience

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Tari is 22

15. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I don't even think we know who he is yet bullshit but teams for sure would so interest. Cunningham has struggled too but he's better than what he's looked like. I'm not suggesting Detroit would trade Cade for Green (they wouldn't) but same draft class and he has not played up to expectations either

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, you can patience your way out of ever competing...

We know Jalen is not core, anyone can tell his skill is lacking and Sir Mumble's BBall IQ is low.

Time to cut bait and move on.

DD

fattz likes this.
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

He hurts the offense.

18. DaDakota

You NEVER keep a group of 6 young players together, usually at most it is 4 .....one or two of these will be traded.

Jalen
    Alpi
    Bari
    Tari
    Amen
    Cam

2 or maybe more will not be here when we are contending.

DD

19. DaDakota

Who the guy shooting 42% from 3pt range? That guy?

Tari Eason makes this team better in every way.....

There is a reason he is now closing every game - because that is winning time and he makes WINNING plays.

DD

Y2JT, AroundTheWorld and fattz like this.
  20. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Thankfully you aren't our gm

Little Bit likes this.