1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TMZ] Matthew Perry dead at 54 after apparent drowning

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Was more a Living Single fan (The Original)
    But
    This is majorly sad. 54 is far too young

Rocket River

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

In the wake of Matthew Perry’s death, Chinese fans mourn an old friend
    AP News
    BY FU TING
    Updated 1:21 PM EDT, November 3, 2023

Long before “Friends” made its official debut in China, the show was a word-of-mouth phenomenon in the country. In the wake of Matthew Perry’s death at 54, fans in China are mourning the loss of the star who felt less like a distant celebrity and more like an old friend.

A Wednesday evening memorial at a cafe in Shenzhen, a busy city across the border of Hong Kong, was one of several held throughout the country for the actor who played Chandler Bing and died Saturday in Los Angeles. The coffee shop — an homage to the 10-season sitcom, from its name (Smelly Cat) to the Central Perk sign on its glass wall — was packed with people and floral arrangements as the TV mounted in the corner played an episode of “Friends.”

“There are more people who showed up than we expected,” said cafe manager Nie Yanxia. “People shared their own memories about Chandler and ‘Friends’ and many teared up.”

A large poster displayed on the bar featured pictures of Perry over the years. “We love you, friend,” read the message at the bottom.

While “Friends” didn’t debut in China until 2012 — through Sohu, a streaming platform — the show had become popular more than a decade earlier thanks to bootleg DVD and hard drive copies. Once Chinese fans added Mandarin subtitles to the show, which ran in the U.S. from 1994 to 2004, it quickly gained a following.

“China was experiencing this drastic historical change marked by the rise of consumerism and also individualism and urbanization back then,” said Xian Wang, a professor on modern Chinese literature and popular culture at the University of Notre Dame. “This TV show actually offered a way to imagine this kind of so-called metropolitan utopian imagination.”

Many Chinese fans learned English through watching the show and got a peek into American life and culture. The uncensored underground version of “Friends” also opened a window into topics that weren’t commonly broached on Chinese television, like LGBTQ+ themes and sexual content. (While “Friends” wasn’t initially censored on Sohu, the platform — and others that later began officially distributing the show in China — would increasingly cut out scenes.)

Wang said many young people in China identified with Perry’s character and his fictional friends as they navigated living independently and developing their own identity in a big city.

Continued...

https://apnews.com/article/matthew-perry-china-friends-fandom-0876bc8bf20b613c336d8c684eb5524f

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Bruh…

Invisible Fan and Jontro like this.
  5. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Matthew Perry died from acute effects of ketamine, other contributing factors: Autopsy
    Perry died on Oct. 28, 2023. He was 54 years old.

ABC News
    ByAngeline Jane Bernabe and Alex Stone
    December 15, 2023, 4:43 PM

Matthew Perry died from the acute effects of ketamine, according to the autopsy report released Friday by the Los Angeles County coroner.

The "Friends" actor died on Oct. 28, 2023. He was 54 years old.

The autopsy listed drowning, coronary artery disease and buprenorphine effects as contributing factors not related to the immediate cause of death. The manner of death was ruled an accident...

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/...amine-contributing-factors/story?id=104485781

desihooper likes this.
  6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The question is was he taking the ketamine to get high? Was this the addict poking his head out?

J-Mac likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Reminds me of old House episodes. When you’ve reached the height of drug addiction and trauma, it’s like Jenga in order to keep those neuro pathways back to what it used to be. I don’t think he was suicidal but that’s one of the common results found among celebs and rockstars

Taking a depressant after 2hrs of pickle ball?

Man with 55 yr old body tried to yolo it as a late twenties mid thirty yr old….

Jontro likes this.
  8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I've done quite a few drugs. Never K. Had a delightful conversation about it with a golf cart mechanic the other day.

Jontro and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I’m thinking about the folks who couldn’t handle it, got addicted, then went to rehab.

Drugs r bayud but everyone is a type in terms of tolerance

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had Ketamine among other things leading up to my surgery but don’t remember it as the cocktail knocked me out.

One of my judo students who dislocated an elbow had it while the joint was reset. He described it as getting in touch with the universe.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So one of the Doctors basically said he probably took a little too much ketamine which caused him to pass out and drown. If he'd been in bed or in the house he would have been fine.

He apparently had been taking ketamine injections to treat depression and had been weening himself off, but this ketamine was found in his stomach, so he probably had some around the house and decided to take some to feel better and he shouldn't have gotten in the hot tub.

12. TimDuncanDonaut

Is ketamine micro-dosing becoming popular. Legit use is maybe depression. But the stereotype has been recreationally by tech-bros or people who bio-hack. Over the last year or two, been hearing more references to it; I guess it grew in popularity.

13. Buck Turgidson

It's been around for quite a while recreationally, the micro-dosing for medicinal purposes (much like mushrooms) is a new thing.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hear mircro-dosing glue is what the cool kids are doing

[​IMG]