1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sheila Jackson Lee=Houston Mayor?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Somehow this is a step down from your half-assed Babylon Bee retweets, which at least outsoruce and filter your desperate attempts at misinformation or libertervative commentary through satirial tone; while these are just month-old, redundant and rehashed lies from amateur fascist bloggers.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

A new Dean is born. Congratulations to Judith Zaffirini.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@J.R.

Houston won’t turn into LA !
    We won

4. Buck Turgidson

This is very good for Houston.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Salvy likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

#86 tinman, Dec 10, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Looking at social media this morning you’d think Rush Limbaugh was elected for mayor and the state of Texas is locked in ruby red for the next 100 years.

My understanding about Houston mayoral politics knowing fire and police folks is that the HPD and Fire department basically are the ones who swing the races for mayor. At least the fire folks I know seemed to believe strongly they were the reason Turner got elected and felt he betrayed them so because of that they were going to make sure he never won anything again.

So given his background with the controversial things he’s said and done with prison issues and his history getting a firefighter bill passed was probably what got him the endorsement and support he needed. However Houston is just different and just because you get the endorsement of HPD and Fire doesn’t mean you are a MAGA republican. Turner sure as hell wasn’t MAGA and it seems like the same folks that voted and supported him are supporting and helped elect Whitmire.

Texas probably isn’t going blue for some time given gerrymandering and the other shenanigans that the governors office pulls, but I don’t think for a moment that Houston is taking a sudden turn to the right or that Trump has the wind at his back going into 2024. I’d say the opposite is actually true.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'm interested in the Buzbee failure again. He's a MAGA, but tries to also be a slick willy type with the social media and hiring Snoop Dogg to come to his parties. He fails hard at trying to be mayor, then he runs for local City Council, but not even at-large to take advantage of his name fame. He decides to stay local with his district, generally rich Republicans of River Oaks. His opponent is the incumbent, Huffman. She's a Republican, but more old school, not MAGA, but not anti-MAGA, probably just avoids the subject. And Buzbee can't win there either. That guy has tons of money and fame, and really wants to be in politics, but just can't win even among his peers. I'm guessing River Oaks is more conservative, but anti-MAGA or ambivalent towards MAGA.

Nook, ROCKSS and ElPigto like this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

HFD and HPD support aside, there were no surprises here. The polling done prior to he election pointed towards runoff and then a Whitmire win. I think all the polls showed that. Maybe HFD and HPD was casual way before. It's hard to disentangle these things.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

@J.R.

Houston didn’t turn into Chicago!

dachuda86 and Salvy like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So is he a DINO?

Rocket River

14. Buck Turgidson

No. He'll do good things for Houston if yall let him

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Explain . . . . "let him" ?

I have heard concerns about police states etc . . . .I have literally paid none of it any mind
    some things I did seen did raise an eye brow . . . some rhetoric

Rocket River
    Will he lower the f*cking toll fees!!!

16. tinman

Supporting Member

He’s bald headed
    He ran on improving city services which actual houstonians care about

Salvy likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was very turned off by his campaign focus on policing. Many candidates campaigned on public safety, but his focus was not on a vague notion of improving safety but on opposing the Defund boogieman (whose 15 minutes of fame appears to be over) and 'getting tough' on street crime, talking points that appeal to traditional Republicans and the maga types. I am hopeful he is, at least, a competent administrator because some stuff is falling apart around here. The Permitting Dept has cost me tens of thousands, and the Waste Dept hasn't picked up recycling on the appointed day for probably 2 years now. But the dude is 74. People keep complaining about should-be retirees running everything, but keep voting for them anyway. Mayor's office isn't staffed up with legions of smart people like the White House; a mayor has to be able to put in work. In any case, though it is partly from a dearth of exciting candidates, his election is a reminder that while this city is progressive for Texas, it isn't all that progressive for the United States.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Congrats to the at-large winners in case y'all lurk here on clutchfans.

SuraGotMadHops and tinman like this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

We didn’t turn into Chicago or LA breh
    @Astrodome

20. tinman

Supporting Member

ROXRAN and basso like this.