1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's too early to consider trading him yet; you wait until it's time to re-sign him and use him in a sign and trade.

Jontro likes this.
  2. comrade

comrade Member

Trade him for whom? Elite young talent? Y'all talking about Collin Sexton? Killian Hayes?? Lmao I'm good

Someone said Trae Young?? After the Hawks almost die laughing and hang up, they're calling every other GM in the league and sharing the joke

Jontro likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Super duper not a fan of these comparisons without context.

In LaVine's third season, 31 guys averaged 20ppg or more.

In Beal's third season, 15 guys averaged 20 ppg or more.

Right now, 42 guys are averaging 20 ppg or more.

The efficiency stats and advanced metrics can be instructive along with the context that the league is just different now...offenses way more efficient generally.

4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I mentioned it and said a Trae Young type. Obviously assets would be attached but the Hawks were shopping him last season, he had issues with the locker room and front office and the Hawks are terrible. Did you think Donovan Mitchell was going to be traded? Maybe instead of acting like a petulant child you could contribute a cohesive thought.

evo8lover likes this.
  5. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Trae's personality would fit with FVV, Dillon, Sengun, Jabari, Tari....no way Trae would fit with Ime! Ime would bite his head off the first time he drops the defensive coverage!

6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I completely agree. I was merely suggesting that's the type of player at the moment you would be looking at.

Old School74 likes this.
  7. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

True the league has changed over time, agreed. Posting info that people can research for themselves or draw their own conclusions.

I don't want to get into semantics, but they are comparable in their development IMO. These were the players he was compared to when drafted, both were late bloomers and took six or seven years before becoming stars.

The main idea is thinking about giving up on a 21-year-old with two years and 18 games under his belt with these gifts and potential is far too early and silly imo.

For changes in league pace for raw numbers here are those three year career stats per 100 possessions:

[​IMG]

For league average changes in efficiency or Ortg etc. Here are third year only league-adjusted stats as well:

Lavine

[​IMG]

Jalen

[​IMG]

Beal

[​IMG]

League Averages:
    [​IMG]

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This thread is ****ing stupid.

slothy420, cbass, GOATuve and 9 others like this.
  9. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's more than fair to acknowledge how whack your posts are. You really just blurt out weak takes and defend them forever no matter how bad it makes you look.

anthony59237, cbass, GOATuve and 4 others like this.
  10. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

But, but, but... no comments from the haters tonight? ;)

Carpe82 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Posted in another thread ....

NewAge, saleem and JayGoogle like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

But only the NBA do not have that many good, adequate or decent young players in this generation that the teams are also willing to let go...

With older star players the time is ticking......

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Nuggets were out of it until the last 3 minutes, the Rockets D were only one reason behind that.

Games against Spurs and Memphis should be games Green is going to have 30 point performances against.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I saw someone in another thread say the Bulls would laugh at you if you tried to trade him for Zach Lavine.

Another grass is greener type statement. The Bulls would hop skip and yippee if the Rockets offered that trade, according to Woj, there ain't even a market for Lavine because of his contract. Right now Bulls fans are hoping they get Reaves for him, that's their hope, and also suspiciously hurt until he can be traded and the Bulls are like 4-0 without him and Coby White is busting out in his absence.

Here's the thing.

You win chips in this game behind star power. Jalen Green has the potential to be a star. Yall can argue that it's low, that's 1%, 2, 4,8,16,24, whatever, but Lavine's potential to be a star player is 0. We know what he is, a fringe all-star player that would be amazing on a team like the Lakers but not a fit over Green on this team.

That's the issue with trading Green right now, you have no idea what you're trading away. The player you get back HAS to have potential or be a star already and the thing is teams usually draft these players because they believe in them.

I think it's going to click for Jalen, he's getting better at realizing the mid range game is there for him and once he has that he becomes near unstoppable to guard because his speed has to be respected.

I'm not opposed to trading Jalen but right now it doesn't make sense to do so.

Our team is also doing well right now. Let Ime Cook, let these guys grow.

15. NewAge

NewAge Member

good post. The middy is what defenses are giving him, and he’s rightfully taking it. the percentage so far has been horrible, much worse than his 3FG% for some reason. Hopefully it’s a fluke.

LaVine had a window of only a couple of years when he was a top contributor, and looks like this window is closing…

Physically Green has the attributes to be a top player, my issue always has been his personality. Hopefully he’s growing-up and manning-up…

rockets1995 and JayGoogle like this.
  16. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’m down to trade him.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jalen Green and Alperen Sengun workout with Jamal Murray and Nikola Jokic. Jeff Green can set this up by calling them up and everyone meet up at the Gym, Have Dinners.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would stay with the Bulls if I were Zach......riding coat tails is fun but you are basically in the 3rd biggest city and you should feel good about being there long term....

19. cumutk

cumutk Member

Nobody says that Trade Jalen right now.
    He is a young player and needs development.
    But it is normal say that his performance does not match #2 draft value.
    İt is not logical say that Jalen is a corepiece, so early.
    Because this is a professinonal sport and business, Jalen is inconsistent, has nearly no fundamental and his only strength is athleticism and its limited cause he is weak.
    This kid even does have difficulties in dribbling and he is a SG??
    The thing is it is easy to trade or waste a young player, the thing is to win a young player.
    l believe the end of the normal season will show us Jalen’s real value.
    Right now;
    Alperen-- our franchise player-Batman
    Jabari-Robin
    in this equation, Green is question mark right now.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think giving up on him right not would not make sense. Probably not even at the trade deadline (although that depends on what trades become available, if any). But I am getting concerned. You would think with more offensive weapons and the whole team playing better and a real coach, his offensive efficiency would be improving, but it's basically just the same. Other young players--Jabari, Alpi, Tari--are all showing improvements in their production. Only Jalen is treading water.

I want to see improvement from him this season. He doesn't have to get all the way there, but to earn a big extension, he really needs to show incremental progress. And if we're going to let him go to RFA, I would probably rather just trade him while he still has value.

fchowd0311 likes this.