1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone explain if Jabari was right here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

50 more lbs still wouldn’t make Jabari a rim protector because he doesn’t have the instinct for it. All his life he’s been a perimeter defender he has the ability to be a really good wing player no need to try and morph him into a role he wouldn’t be successful at. Let him master his craft. He could be an XL Ariza with a better 3. That’s a win.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

It's elementary Watson.

3. Sengun

Sengun Member

There is an interesting chemistry between Jabari and Sengun. They both yell at each other for their bad plays. The two are good friends and this happens in the game. It's no big deal. It's better than them being careless like Green.

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

5. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

My standard reply to any @Yetti post:

AlperenSengun likes this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Truth be told, Jabari is just average in defense. In all facets. Handsy in the perimter, slow laterally, and gets out muscled or out quicked on the post. His offense is actually better than his defense. But he’s still young so we **** have to deal with it until his experience matures along with his body

7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Please(and not just you but all of CF) stop showing gleague or summer league highlights of what we expect or hope for our players to do at the pro level. It just doesn’t translate. We’ve never come close to seeing Jabari make that play in his 1.25 years of playing pro ball

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Huh. Jabari has had plenty of nice blocks including at the rim in his 1.25 years of regular season basketball. Some things don’t translate sure but this example of being a shot blocker does.

JayGoogle and Believe It! like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I get that.

This was in response to a comment about his defensive instincts. I think the video speaks for itself.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How many times have we seen him do that this season? Watch him play around the rim it happens every game he won’t even go up to contest a lot of the time when he’s in those situations. He shouldn’t be expected to be a rim protector nor to beef up just to add more resistance to a big. Just like in the clip Jabari will clean up mistakes from the weak side plus offer elite level switching options on the perimeter. He’s fine as is just need the shot to become automatic.

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I disagree.

He should be expected to "beef up". Adding muscle does not always add resistance. How much resistance did Giannis add when beefing up?

He's 20 years old. I know anytime I put on positive gains at that age I never slowed down. In fact quite the opposite.

Again... He should be expected to. From within.

12. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

How in the world is Sengun suppose to know Bari needs help? Sengun helps he leaves his man open. Bad match up for Bari but some situations you just have to play D. The nba is fast paced, bad matchups happens. Just basketball..

13. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

AD was unstoppable that game and Ime talked about it postgame that they were trying to double him. I assume in this play, Sengun was supposed to double as soon as AD went into his move.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari was freaking awesome tonight. Physical as hell.

cbass and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I guess Ime answered your question during his Press Conf last night. Sengun should've doubled immediately

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Except that he wasn't necessarily talking about this situation.

17. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Let me understand...
    Are some fans criticizing Jabari Smith, a 20-year-old guy, for not being able to defend Anthony Davis (8-time All Star and 4-time All NBA Team) in a specific play?
    Amazing! The level of stupidity of some fans is infinite!

hlmbasketball and anthony59237 like this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Indirectly, he is answering your question on what their concept is. Alpi should've helped in that situation.

Im not being vicious but did you not understand that point?

That is what they are teaching Alpi to do and he did not do it, simple. I know you all think Alpi is the greatest but he did not do his job on that play.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Okay, but you did not understand anything.....the problem was that Jabari did not communicate with Alpe beforehand and then complained about him later while AD feasted on him.

Accountability does not mean to point fingers the first moment a defensive play failed......you work it out behind the scenes and not cry about it on the court. It is not good for morale.

20. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

It seems to me that the one who didn't understand anything was you. Everything you say are things that are learned over the years on the court.
    I find this damn trend of pretending that our boys must be complete superstars with two seasons under their belts very funny!
    Yes, Jabari is going to have trouble defending Anthony Davis. Yes, Sengun is going to have problems defending Jokic! WHAT NEW!!!