1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Greens 3rd Year Analysis Vs Current SGs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Dec 1, 2023.

1. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Jalen will be a good back up to Cam Whitmore or will be a good trade in

DaDakota and invocux like this.
  2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The "handicapping" figure of age needs to be factored in somehow. A guy who is 20 his third year vs being 22 or 23 probably should be a consideration.

3. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

Jalen is a statistical marvel... and he is only in his 3rd year. Unbelievable how great he is now and gonna be better than most guards in the League...

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The statistical marvel is the fact that Jalen has had 3 games this year with more turnovers than field goals made.

5. OnlyRockets

OnlyRockets Member

All stars have slumps and 3 games out of 16 are statistically insignificant.

Did you see the last game? We won the game with his efficient 15 burger.

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

KPJ 3rd yr stats on a terrible team playing out of position: 19.2/5.3/5.7 on 44/37/78 and a .565 ts%

Jalen Green currently is avg. 18.8/4.7/3.2 on 42/35/79 and a .547 ts%

Anyone think KPJ would have taken most of Jalen's minutes by now?

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Those are KPJs 4th year stats.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That's from KPJ's 4th year. We signed him to an extension after he showed only marginal improvement his 3rd year.

roslolian and Ancient Moabite like this.
  9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Gotta tone down the Mom-account parody. You're killing the joke.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

No, That is from his 3rd season at age 21.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porteke02.html

edit, nvm I see I mixed up some of the numbers. Can't edit it, meant 4th year year, 3rd whole season. 2nd year was the year he came and was in Gleauge and then got about 20 NBA games.

#170 xtruroyaltyx, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think exact numbers matter. I think the issue is stagnation of those numbers. It's okay to shoot at his efficiency if it's an improvement, but it's been hovering around the same numbers for more than 2 seasons now.

Sengun is making a jump every year statistically, Jabari is shooting better this season vs last season etc.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Forget the stats, left handle dribble, left hand passing, dribbling through contact, and leaving feet way too early are all major issues that after 3 summers he hasn't resolved. That could be too many flaws to overcome and be elite. I hope I'm wrong.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Nuance is lost on these youngins

A parody is only funny if there are shades of reality to it

don grahamleone and roslolian like this.
  14. invocux

invocux Member

Had a 8/10 game. Had only 1 turnover which is very impressive for him. His midrange looked automatic. He hustled on defensive end even tried to intercept post up entry passes. i liked his energy however he was 2-9 from 3pt line again and that's the reason why we should let him go. You can't afford to have a sg who can't shoot from perimeter. If you want to be seen as a serious team your sg has to be a sniper. Peace.

NewAge likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Pffft typical anti green nonsense. Man played well and contributed to a win vs the champs anything else about his game is just being nitpicky.

It's as stupid as folks saying u can't afford to have a 6'9-6'10 player anchoring center if u want to see be seen as a serious team our center needs to b a shot blocker/lob threat. We should drop sengun and find a real shot blocker. /s

16. invocux

invocux Member

Centers' role have changed that's why i was pro Sengun from the get go because i can keep up with with new era of bb while you can't. That's why you think we can afford to have a poor 3pt shooter as our engine on offense. While we want centers to be more than just scarecrows in 2023 we also want shooting guards to not shoot .33 from 3pt line. So i'm consistent as you can tell.

Don't get me wrong he has some tools like his first step and speed in general but i absolutely do not want a sg who relies on free throws to drop 20+ because you don't always play against slow or bad perimeter defenders but a great reliable 3pt shooter is unguardable and delivers every night. That's why Jalen's career is good game-stinker-good game-stinker. When he doesn't or can't attack to the rim he stinks. I'd swap him with Malik Monk without hesitation. I wouldn't even think for half a second.

17. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I am a Sengun fan! How can I not? I am a Turkish American. BUT Jalen played good both on offense and defense...let it go. The championship team will need Jalen and his explosiveness, especially in the playoff games. Tonight was a good exercise for that! The entire. team grew from this experience! ALL youngsters played GREAT! ENJOY THE WIN GENTS!!!

cmlmel77, roslolian and JayGoogle like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I saw some stuff tonight from Jalen that can be considered growth.

There were several times he stopped and shot a midrange after using a pick instead of barreling to the hole....that is progress.

He still needs to work on fundamentals but I am finally seeing a bit more growth.

DD

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about? First of all season isn't even done. Secondly it's only been 3 yrs. Sengun made a jump every year but Sengun is also trending towards superstardom, not every player is like that.

Finally Jalen's improvement has more to do with a better mentality and defense rather than raw numbers. If you look at his advanced numbers they most of them are up which shows the greater effort on his defense.

This whole thread was made to show Jalen's performance is in line with other star guards. It doesn't mean Jalen will be a star like those other guards, but it does show he shouldn't be called a bust yet since what he is doing is in line with other SGs.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Too early to weigh in . Need about half of this year to pass .

IME seems to be holding him accountable a bit more , which is good , but still not enough IMO . He may lose minutes to Tate , Thompson , Eason , or holliday as the season goes on and we prioritize winning more over developing.

To me , he has not shown much more that he has the last season . His teammates are much better , and the coach is better , there is much more of a focus on winning .

to be fair he is young and is still learning and getting used to the system and discipline . Also to be fair, some of the positives (such as athleticism) also comes with being young.

Need more games . No one knows how he’s going to turn out yet . Buuut , with amen and whitmore and Udoka hopefully wanting to go for wins this year , the leash is tightening a bit .