1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

More dependable?

3 pitchers threw more innings than Framber with a better era last year, THREE

Cole
    Burnes
    Webb

I think many people undervalue our own players because we tend to remember the bad more than the good.

awc713, Madmanmetz, Radricky and 4 others like this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Maldonado catching 25% of the games (or more if Yanier gets hurt) would not be a bad thing for the Astros.

BlindHog likes this.
  3. The Beard

BUT

Even before any extensions (Altuve) or signings

A rotation of

Framber
    Javier
    Brown
    Garcia
    Lance/France/Urquidy

The top 2 are top of the rotation starters, the next two have that potential. Who knows with Lance, but if finally having the surgery fixes his issues, he could be a dominant 5/6 inning guy also.

I don't think saying the window definitely closes after 25, cause that staff has the potential to be the best in baseball. Yes, the pen would have to be made out but you would still have possibly the most dominant reliever in baseball in Abreu to close

Madmanmetz likes this.
  4. The Beard

I don't think they trade Alex

BUT

If they do it would likely be for multiple players, one of which would be a replacement (albeit a lesser player) for him at 3B. We didn't even have a legitimate backup 3B on the roster last year

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wonder in Pedro Leon can play 3rd base. I know they tried him at SS before Pena cemented himself. He supposedly has the biggest arm in the farm so that shouldn't be an issue.

6. The Beard

Bringing Maldonado back as a backup is one of the worst ideas i've heard

He would likely catch JV because JV would demand it, the first time Framber has a bad outing and asks for Martin to catch him....Martin's ego is also too big for that role

please no

7. Qan

Qan Member

But he won't. If he returns, those pitchers will ask for Maldy to catch and he'll end up catching 75% again.

If Maldy joins another team, good luck to him. They are more than willing to cut him, unlike the Astros, if he played like he did the past 2 seasons.

No Worries and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  8. The Beard

I don't think Espada would let that happen

BUT

It could definitely cause issues. I don't want Martin anywhere close to this team unless he decides to hang it up and go into coaching. Other than that, thanks for your service and best of luck

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have been observing trade proposals on this board for a good while now, and what I would say is a good many of them are just bad trades.
    Either the proposal is such where we give up our garbage and expect the other team to give us the player we covet in return or its just nonsense.
    These scenarios are just as frequent after a good season as they are after bad or falling off ones.

But what I dont see, regardless of the situation is panicking. Desperate maybe, but not panic.

Perhaps its just your choice of words I dont agree with, for I find your overall response pretty reasonable otherwise.

Specifically, I would be hesitant to trade Framber when a TOR is one of the things we need.
    I was really up about Framber when we got good Framber and really down when we saw bad Framber.
    Unless one is convinced that bad Framber is the guy we are going to see in 2024, trading him makes little sense.

#1589 jim1961, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I realize that. But I saw a few players available who would be top-10 prospects for our depleted farm system. Is keeping that player as the 26th man really so bad? Also, some of the better guys available have injury concerns. Maybe we take one and end up stashing him on the DL.

The Beard and No Worries like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe. But what was true in years past may not be in years future.
    Our starters cant be blind to the fact of Maldy's regression.

I also think this issue has been overblown a bit. I think preference is probably a more apt term than demand.
    I any case, I would rather Maldy move on. But a 25% or 30% usage rate for Maldy, should he return, sounds about what it should be.

12. Landry's Tooth

I still think the way to go is move Framber for 3B, Bregman for a centerfielder, and sign Snell so the Mariners don't.

We would save 15 million as Framber/Bregman is costing 43 million while Snell and prospects on minimum deals should run about 28 million.

That's 15 million that can be used on Tucker.

Go back to Framber to Stl with Gorman or Walker back for our 3B and Bregman to Baltimore for Cowser.

No idea if that's even realistic but I would do it if replacing Valdez with Snell.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

A couple of thoughts on the last several posts.

1) I'm sure there is no specific plan to give up on Whitley as a starter, but there is still a very real possibility that he will be required to remain on the 26 man active roster all season or else DFA, waive, or trade him. There are already 6 healthy starters (at least) ahead of him on the depth chart.

2) I am thinking Pittsburgh may now be a team to keep an eye on in the Maldy sweeps.

Regardless, I think bringing him back to Houston (as a player) invites issues that Espada should not need to deal with this year even if he's capable.

3) Tucker is not going to be an Astro after 2025. Period. He will never sign a contract for less than 8 years (likely even longer) and Crane simply won't agree to that kind of contract. Therefore any trade proposal that includes " save money for Tucker" or "Then sign Tucker" is a fools errand.

4) This Astros team is unlike most others in the past 7+ years because the bottom of the roster is made up of replacement level players. There are currently 10-11 position players and 10-11 pitchers who are almost guaranteed to be better than a rule 5 draftees. If a team is in that position and has good scouting, they can pick 1-2 guys and see if it works. If not it's no big loss to return the player (pay $100K to draft and get $50K for returning him).

NIKEstrad and No Worries like this.
  14. SuraGotMadHops

Other than a coaching related position, I do not think it is a good idea at all to bring back Maldy as an active player. This will turn straight up into a Jay Leno/Conan O'Brien situation. Maldy will start as a backup with a new 9:30 p.m. show, then find his way back into the 11:30 p.m. seat again after a couple pitchers have a bad outing.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm not sure this happens, but feel it's a possibility.

For me it's just bad juju to give it any kind of hope and put pressure on Espada to prevent it.

It's the kind of thing that can divide a locker room and start a free fall.

The Beard and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have gotten the impression Tucker is gone also, though its only based on my gut feeling.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Good post. I enjoy reasonable and polite debate. I hope the Astros forum stays classy. The rockets forum has been inundated with trolls and general immaturity

18. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree on #3 in general, but we don't know what the market will look like in 2 years.

A lot of teams are tying their payrolls up on these deals and there's 2 more offseasons worth of these deals getting layered.

He could also get hurt or have a down year. Bregman peaked early so it's possible this is the best of Tucker and he settles into a .270 20/20 guy who is really good but not worthy of 8-10 years.

I think if you keep the flexibility and can offer to buyout his arbitration years and 6 year extension it's effectively an 8 year deal.

I doubt they have made such an offer...

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Tucker looked lifeless and disinterested during the playoffs. Seemed more than a slump.

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I think that What happens with Whitley depends entirely upon the leagues decision about his extended options due to time lost to health. If he is not granted additional time the Astros will be forced to put him on the 26 man roster or lose him. If they are forced into that position he will be a relief pitcher or he will be gone. I have yet to hear a decision from the league about this but that decision was likely made before the rule 5 roster protection date.

No Worries likes this.