1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liz Cheney Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by adoo, Nov 30, 2023.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Liz Cheney's new book will be available for sale on 5 Dec 2023.

[​IMG]

Liz Cheney’s new book blasts GOP as ‘enablers and collaborators’ of Trump, whom one member called ‘Orange Jesus’

Cheney delivers a particularly devastating takedown of former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who she says told her that Trump knew he’d lost the election. Cheney is also critical of McCarthy’s successor,
    House Speaker Mike Johnson, who “appeared especially susceptible to flattery from Trump and aspired to being anywhere in Trump’s orbit,” she writes.

The book serves both as a roadmap laying out how Cheney realized in the days and weeks following the election the dangers of what Trump and his allies were trying to do to overturn the 2020 election, as well as
    a stark warning that she believes the checks and balances of the Constitution will not hold if Trump is reelected in 2024.

“As a nation, we can endure damaging policies for a four-year term. But we cannot survive a president willing to terminate our Constitution,” the Wyoming Republican writes.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. adoo

adoo Member

Throughout “Oath and Honor,” Cheney describes how she saw her Republican colleagues go from condemning Trump to falling back in line and supporting his claims of election fraud.

Cheney reveals for the first time that McCarthy told her just two days after Election Day that he had talked to Trump and that Trump acknowledged he had lost the 2020 election.

“He knows it’s over,” McCarthy said, according to the book. “He needs to go through all the stages of grief.” Cheney writes that she thought to herself, those stages of grief “seemed to involve tweeting in all caps.”

When the California Republican went on Fox News that same day and said, “President Trump won this election,” Cheney writes, “McCarthy knew that what he was saying was not true.”

Cheney also exposes how other Republicans supported Trump’s election lies even when they knew better. During a GOP conference call, Cheney writes that House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan was “dismissive” of
    the legal process for challenging the election results and “didn’t seem to think the rules mattered.”

“The only thing that matters is winning,” Jordan said, according to Cheney.

Cheney also calls out Johnson, whose rise to the speakership came after Cheney had finished her book. Cheney recounts how Johnson pressured Republican members to support an amicus brief to
    throw out the election results from four states Trump had lost.

“When I confronted him with the flaws in his legal arguments,” Cheney writes, “Johnson would often concede, or say something to the effect of, ‘We just need to do this one last thing for Trump.’”

3. adoo

adoo Member

‘Trump’s not eating’

Cheney also accuses McCarthy of repeatedly lying and choosing the “craven” path of embracing Trump. She recounts the moment she first found out that McCarthy, fearing he had lost his ability to fundraise,
    secretly went to visit Trump at Mar-a-Lago just three weeks after the Jan. 6 attack.

[​IMG]
    Donald Trump and Kevin McCarthy are pictured on January 28, 2021 at Mar-a-Lago.
    At first, Cheney thought the photo of the two men smiling and shaking hands was fake. But she was incredulous at McCarthy’s defense of his visit. He claimed Trump’s staff summoned him.

“Mar-a-Lago? What the hell, Kevin?” Cheney asked.

“They’re really worried,” McCarthy said. “Trump’s not eating, so they asked me to come see him.”

“What? You went to Mar-a-Lago because Trump’s not eating?” Cheney responded.

“Yeah, he’s really depressed,” McCarthy said.

Cheney reveals that other Republicans were also “angry and disgusted” at McCarthy’s visit to Trump. She writes: “Some mocked him, circulating the Trump/McCarthy photo along with the clip from the movie Jerry Maguire
    where Tom Cruise tells Renée Zellweger, ‘You.. complete… me.’”

ROCKSS and FrontRunner like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Didn't she vote with Trump like 99% of the time?

Ok I googled it and it was 93%, per 538. So yeah. She's 93% of Trump. If you like her, you should reexamine Trump. He's probably right up your alley.

#4 Haymitch, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I get the party line voting, to many politicians do it and I wish more would stand on there own...................what she didn't bow down to was the breaking the law after the fact, she put Country over Party which is very rare these days, I may not agree with her politics and that's OK, she`s an actual old school GOP member who stands up for the truth even when it cost her job to do so and to be labeled a RINO by her own side. The new gop says that if you're not agreeing with them and all the lies, you're not going to be on their team

Good for you Liz...................Thanks for calling out the cultist leader so the people can see who he really is and what the current gop is turning into........Lie, Lie, Deflect and then rinse and repeat for the sheep who are following ya`ll

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like the part of her that sees Trump for the slime ball he is and recognizes that he isn’t fit for office, even to her own detriment politically. I can respect the hell out of that, even if I disagree with most of her policy positions.

mdrowe00, Rashmon, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed... if someone that is so conservative in her positions can see the warning lights flashing about trump, you would hope others, actual conservatives could as well. And some others did so as well (George Will, Jonah Goldberg, Bill Kristol to name just a few). But unfortunately, the conservatives in the republican party have ceded the party to the trump magas.

mdrowe00 and ROCKSS like this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With that title, I thought she died or something.

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Come on now, she just retired...

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Her father is a sith lord.
    [​IMG]

dobro1229 and FrontRunner like this.
  11. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

@ Luke Skywalker

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She voted for Trump twice, and her dad brought American gi deaths above maybe 100 - 200 year 15 years after the Cold War ended.

mdrowe00 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. adoo

adoo Member

Cheney delivers a particularly devastating takedown of former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who she says told her that Trump knew he’d lost the election; it may have led to the weakling from a hick town in Calif quiting

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, ethics and moral courage in a time of crisis go a long way toward earning my respect.

mdrowe00, adoo and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...yeah.

...I suppose it's as good a way to look at all this as anything else right now.

...I guess sometimes, knowing what we know now, that maybe being in opposition isn't as bad as being dead-set against something.

If you had a gun to my head and told me to choose between Liz Cheney if I wanted to die, or the Donald if I wanted to live...

... I'd only ask that you not be cruel and not have blanks in the gun;)....

JuanValdez and Invisible Fan like this.