1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think that it's perfectly reasonable for many good things to happen this year and the team to win a 3rd WS.

Let's say that JV has an entire season equal to the total of his 2023 season over 28 starts and Framber hits the average of his 2022 and 2023 seasons (31 GS)

Thats:
    JV = 13-8, 3.22 ERA in 168 IP
    Framber = 15-9, 3.13 ERA in 200 IP

Javier starts 25 games at his career SP averages and Brown starts 25 games at his 2023 first half level.

Javier= 10-5, 3.63 ERA in 132 IP
    Brown= 9-9, 4.12 ERA in 138 IP.

Now McCullers comes back in early August and makes 10 starts at his career performance level.

Lance= 4-3, 3.49 ERA in 56 IP

That leaves 43 games for France, Urquidy, Arrighetti, Whitley, or others to start.

But the team would have 4 playoff starters w/ ERAs at 3.63 or less.

In 2023, 127 pitchers threw 100+ innings and those ERAs would be: 11th, 15th, 29th, and 35th.

And Brown can be used as a bullpen weapon.

Maybe that's not LIKELY but it isn't unreasonable either.

13 in 33 likes this.
  2. raining threes

Like I said they should be able to afford an ACE and hopefully the Stros keep continuing their pitching development. They have guys developing that can hopefully play at a better level than Abreu did this year. If they cant, then the run is done. 3B is an issue. Hopefully this will be solved by trade.

As far bullpen goes, Luhnow managed to find Pressly, Brown needs to be able to find his Pressly. Abreu should still be around. Click proved it's not hard to build a bullpen.

Imagine that they sign the Cuban pitcher and he's a SP1 then they sign a SP1 and keep developing pitchers like they have been doing.

If I told you 3 years from now Baez and Gomez were star level players and Loperfido was an above avg !B, They sign a stud pitcher this offseason what would you think the Stros chances of remaining a contender would be? But with this said, the Stros will go as far as Brown's next 3-5 drafts/FA periods and the pitching takes them.

Is this going to be easy to keep the run going? Yes it is. Impossible? No it's not, with alot of hard work and a little luck.

13 in 33 likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thought it was already closed.

raining threes likes this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Saying the Astros should do this or that is not panicking.
    Why would you describe such posts that way?

Tomstro and raining threes like this.
  5. raining threes

What is their focus shifting too?

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

It feels like

"If we can trade certain players and extend our years of control for players expected to be good, we will consider the deal."

The biggest problem with that is that Alex Bregman appears to be the most likely to get traded, but he's the guy with the worst potential replacement who will result in the worst 2024 if it happens.

Unless, of course they get another starting quality 3B to offset it.

Furthermore, to me, other than Altuve he is the most likely to actually resign.

7. raining threes

If they trade Bregs they will sign a vet 3B.

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I was down in Corpus for over a year on assignment. I saw Martes up closes and never believed the hype.

To be clear Whitley isn't on my radar. I'd bet on Seth or Bennett to get meaningful inning first.

#1568 Madmanmetz, Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sorry if it’s been discussed already, but is there anyone in the Rule 5 Draft who’d be worth taking? We’ve got some open spots on the 40-man roster.

10. JonRetro

JonRetro Contributing Member

So much money comes off the books after 2025, why cant Crane spend for Tucker and a SP (maybe Framber).. and still compete? Might not be a great team but still a team that can compete for division titles. Why cheap out when Crane has made so much money since 2017. If he’s gonna run it into the ground just sell the damn team then. Plenty of billionaires out there. Maybe a Saudi prince or Silicon Valley billionaire and come in to actually spend market value for stars.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think the bigger issue I'd that neither Tucker nor Framber WANT to sign. Both are determined to go to free agency.

I'm sure either would be happy to stay in Houston but only if they are the highest bidder and they have no interest in signing before they see offers from other teams.

12. JGuns

JGuns New Member

Have you heard rumblings of a plan to convert him to RP? I know he has the size and the heater, but everything I've seen suggests arm health, command, and mental fortitude are continuing issues... though, everything I've seen could be dead-wrong.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

IIRC Rule 5 picks need to make the 26 major league roster for a year, which changes the calculus.

For the Astros, they would have to be able to burn the last pitcher from the bullpen or the last position player. Neither seems likely for a team looking to make the playoffs.

14. Amadeus Rooster

I bet Bregman is gonna be extra motivated this year. Probably will stop drinking dr peppers and play like a champ like pro athletes do during a free agent to be year upcoming. All the trade strategy news is building a big fire of motivation in him to come out w a block on his shoulder.
    Best year for Bregman on the way. I am ready! Lets go!

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Removed

#1575 J.R., Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    mikol13 likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It sure seems to me that they should close the book on Maldi. There is too much potential for players to start demanding he catch for them which would disrupt club harmony. Of course, it’s just conjecture on my part.

Stephen66, solid and raining threes like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Many of the posts are about us trading away guys in their prime and gutting our minor league for win now players, because we came up a little short even with all the injuries and Dusty doing Dusty things. I’m ok with reasonable changes, but most of these trade ideas reek of panic to me, but I do like discussing them. Trading Framber for someone like Cease for instance is because Framber had a late season meltdown, even though Framber was a lead cy young candidate for three quarters of the year. Talks of trading Bregman makes sense, because of his contract situation and 3b is easier to replace than a young ace. Trading guys with a return in the hopes of extending the window makes since, but most these trade ideas are being floated because we lost to the rangers in game seven of the ALCS.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Clutchfans Astros forum faints

ryan_98, Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Would not surprise me if Brown and Espada are saying the right things, but don’t really want Maldy back unless they cannot find a decent backup.

It’s not like they will come out and say no, we aren’t interested.

20. Screaming Fist

The White Sox would be the kind of org to appreciate someone like Maldy.