1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Removed

#1521 J.R., Nov 30, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Radricky, Invisible Fan, Nook and 3 others like this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trading Framber is an interesting idea, it only makes sense if they think his success was heavily tied to Maldonado. But he could bring back a haul.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think its extremely short-sighted to move a lefty starter who's been extra-durable over the last several years, has the body type to actually throw 200 innings/year, and has had actual legit playoff/WS success. Especially a guy who was a legit cy young contender and in line to start the all star game just as recently as last season.

Especially for a team that is short on pitchers who can actually pitch a full season... and a team that is still looking to contend.
    Trading him is the wet dream of those who take more interest in the farm system being re-stocked. If the Astros aren't planning on contending, I suppose it makes sense.... but again, extremely short-sighted.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Replace Whitley with Martes and this was an exact post from 4 years ago.

None of it matters if he can't throw 20 minor league innings without getting another injury.

Madmanmetz, texans1095 and jim1961 like this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Surely Maldonado will not return. The Astros should close the book on him.

The Beard, jim1961, Stephen66 and 2 others like this.
  6. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

8. Nook

Nook Member

Trading Framber Valdez doesn't make a lot of sense.

They need starters that are good, durable, have had success and can pitch a lot of innings - so they are going to trade the one pitcher on their roster that meets those needs? Yet somehow compete in 2024 and maybe 2025?

That makes no sense at all - and it isn't even really a savings of money, as Valdez is very affordable.

Urquidy is slated to make like 3-4 million this year - that isn't a lot of money either....

Makes zero sense to me at all.

If the Astros are worried about money - then they can move Abreu and or Montero.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Guess Bagwell could've made the switch after all.

donkeypunch likes this.
  10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't see trading them either, but technically always depends on what is being offered in return. Hard to envision one that could make sense with Valdez, but Urquidy is always possible because he is more replaceable.

Bregman is the most logical player to trade if we were going to deal a prominent player, followed by Kyle Tucker. And to be clear, I don't see either happening right now.

Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I agree on Urquidy. The Astros would be trading him coming off a bad year - but there is a need for pitching, and I could see someone offer the Astros a smaller piece they like and then move him.

It isn't going to happen - but if the Astros REALLY wanted to shed salary, they could move McCullers and Montero. The Astros would have to attach a player to each to make it happen - but it is very possible.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed. Lots of panic about a team that went to the 7th game of the ALCS.

The Beard, Madmanmetz and Nook like this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And one that if they reduce even a fraction of the time Altuve/Yordan missed, likely wins at least 93-95 games. then there's the catcher issues. Then there's the fact that they had sub-par starting pitching for a large chunk of the year.

A lot of those issues get fixed with better health, better playing time distribution, and other guys expected to play that didn't play much last year.

I'm not saying to stand pat, but this is not some major re-tooling off-season. The roster is largely set and on paper is currently better than what they had coming off the WS title.

14. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

If we are trading Framber to save money then we need to hope that Crane sells the team soon. He already seemingly runs it similar to the A's when you account for the difference in revenue of the two teams. The Astros are the last team in the league other than the Mets that should be in need of shedding salaries as much revenue as they have been pulling in the last seven years with postseason games and all that.

If they trade Framber it better be in a three way deal that brings back Luis Robert not for AA prospects.

Plenty of billionaires in Texas. Just need to convince one to buy the team if Crane is going to start going the Oakland and Tampa route of trading proven stars for prospects.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This is not about 2024.

This is about 2025, 2026, and after.

Is the team going to go all-in for a World Series in 2024? 2025?

Or is it going to trade away some short term players, reducing the chances in 2024 and 2025 but extending the window another several years?

I don't have the answers but as it is constructed this team can not compete in 2026 and will need luck and an influx of talent to compete in 2027 and beyond.

It's a tough call because if you trade ANY of Bregman, Tucker, or Framber the chances of competing in 2024 and likely 2025 are heavily reduced even if they are better after that.

Do you sacrifice the last year(s) of some long time fan favorites to keep the window open for Alvarez, Javier, McCormick, Diaz, Pena, etc?

Or do you go all-in now knowing 2026 and maybe Evan some time after will be reload or even rebuild seasons.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Annnnddd she’s gone.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Any team or fan-base that can have a 10+ year run of success.. especially in a sport with as much variance as baseball... should be completely aware of how much a rarity that truly is.

The chances of extending this run to 15-20 years is virtually zero. Sure, they'll decrease their chances of bottoming out but at the same time decrease their chances of winning it all while they have a core that can win it all.

Even with trading stars now, and basically punting the rest of the contending window of 2024 and 2025 away, there is zero guarantee the farm products you get are ready to go in 2026 and beyond. You could be sacrificing now... and still have to consider a total teardown/rebuild later.

The Crane era has been consistent in that if there's a window to win it all, they'll let impending FA's play out their current deals. They've also yet to re-extend somebody who as already extended... so will be a first whenever Altuve and/or Bregman gets theirs.

18. Radricky

Radricky Member

I’m all in on trading Framber and signing someone thats more dependable.
    Of course he has no hit stuff if he’s in the right state of mind but are y’all really comfortable pitching him multiple times in a 7 game series?
    Also I can’t believe I’m saying this lol

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Astros aren't trading Valdez and then signing someone better than him. A Sonny Gray now costs you 3 years 80 million. They don't have the financial flexibility even if you take Framber's contract off the books. I don't trust Snell and the Astros aren't giving up 200 million to Yamamoto. Also, not sure I want to give Jordan Montgomery 6-7 years north of 25 million a year. Nor do I want Eduardo Rodriguez on a long term deal.

Only way the Astros are likely to get a better pitcher than Framber is a trade and the Astros will most likely be outbid because of their weak farm system.

My biggest/realistic hope now for the rotation is the Astros get Yariel Rodriguez and he turns out to be better than projected.

20. Nook

Nook Member

This is all about 2024 and 2025.

What the Astros do in 2025, will depend on what the Astros do in 2024.

The Astros are not resigning: Altuve, Bregman, Valdez, Tucker, Pressly, Verlander and Graveman.

They will resign Altuve and possibly 1-2 other ones.

The reality is the window shuts after 2025 for at least awhile.