1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets In-Season Tournament 2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Garner

Garner Member

The in-season tournament is going to be super fun. It absolutely elevates the interest and coverage of a stretch of games that would largely go unremarked on otherwise.

Kevooooo likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Whether people think this is fun and exciting or a dumb idea depends on whether they think the tourney championship has any meaning.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Narrator: It has no meaning.

OremLK likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Netflix, which has for years demurred on live sports rights, is said to be considering a bid for the NBA In-Season Tournament. Sports Business Journal reported Monday that Netflix has shown “some interest” in acquiring rights to the In-Season Tournament and potentially developing a docuseries — akin to the F1 show “Drive to Survive” — to complement the live games. Netflix would not be able to bid until late April at the earliest, the point at which the NBA’s exclusive negotiating window with ESPN and Turner is set to expire.

– via Jon Lewis @ Sports Media Watch

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Houston Rockets Still in Driver's Seat for In-Season Tournament
    The Houston Rockets control their fate in the In-Season Tournament.

The Houston Rockets are still in control of their own destiny when it comes to the In-Season Tournament. However, Friday's game against the Denver Nuggets at home could result in elimination with a loss.

West Group B is the only group out of the six where every team has a loss. Currently, the New Orleans Pelicans, by virtue of their win against the Nuggets last week, have the tiebreaker and are in first place. However, the Rockets' win against the Pelicans would give them the edge in any two-team tiebreaker, which is where Houston will be if it beats Denver on Friday.

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news...on-tournament-nba-denver-nuggets-nikola-jokic

Winning the tourny would be very sweet!

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The days without a game are not fun, it will create back to backs another time.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think a lot of off days early in the season for a team with so many young rotation guys and new offensive and defensive systems is advantageous. It doesn’t seem like it now, but this crazy hard schedule at the start of the season with a lot of practice time will pay off in the long run. I predicted 10-15 for first 25 and am now thinking 11-14 or 12-13. That would be a phenomenal accomplishment if it happens. Even 10-15 is better than most expected.

Kevooooo, saleem and jim1961 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Decent thought process, I have not thoroughly thought about it as I do go from game to game now......

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please excuse my ignorance, I don't understand the purpose of the in season tournament.

Aruba77, Dredd and Corrosion like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

upload_2023-11-24_22-23-11.gif

Haymitch, i3artow i3aller and saleem like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

A fake trophy that means pretty much nothing ..... and $1m / $500k to the players on the top two teams.

The league is trying to make regular season games relevant .... It seems kinda silly to me - particularly the ugly ass courts for tournament games.

But I was going to watch anyway ....

Dredd, cmoak1982 and saleem like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks. I agree with your thinking. Only the play in is important for the Rockets. We have a long way to go. Sengun can't carry us throughout the season.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really don't even care for the play in .... it seems pointless in a league that more than half of the teams make the playoffs.
    It's just a way to squeeze a few more dollars out of fans .... to watch some ~.475 teams play for the right to get swept by the #1 seed.
    I'd almost prefer less teams making the playoffs and maybe the top 2 seeds get a bye.

Dredd likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am on the fence about the play in, but the Rockets players seem extra motivated to go to Las Vegas, so for now, I like it.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Seems like this in season tournament means more to teams that haven't experienced winning than teams who have a history of playoff experience.

17. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Wasnt some player on the Lakers claiming how enthusiastic they were about it? How they wanted the extra $$$ ? Cant remember which player.
    But for the current Rockets squad, that probably figures into it.

Corrosion and Dredd like this.
  19. Dredd

Dredd Member

Bcuz most the players can drink legally now.

it’s def good for a young team to feel what the hype is like.

I still don’t really care for it or follow any of the standings. I don’t know the rules.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree! Anything that helps inject some excitement in a long season is good to me. In comparison, I've grown to hate the All-Star Game, it's terrible.