1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

What can they expect to get at the trade deadline if he is underperforming?

VickMackey likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a result of role, offensive strategy, and a compete lack of competent teammates.

None of those issues would be present in a Udoka offense with FVV as the PG.

3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this were to happen, my guess is that we’d be combining his salary with Oladipo’s and maybe 1-2 of our bench guys - Londale, Bullock - for a decent 20 ppg guard on an underperforming team that wants to clear cap room for next year. It would not be anything exciting.

The return improves if you add Tate, Cam or Tari to the mix - a borderline AllStar might be possible or you get the same player but with picks.

All of this depends on whether Jalen continues to show flashes or if he regresses into a warm body whose former #2 pick status is the only reason anyone respects him (in terms of how tightly he’s guarded). If it’s the latter, we might as well keep him through the season and then either let him go into RFA (matching any reasonable offer) or make our own lowball extension offer.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I want you to go through this thread and look at what people were saying about Green a week ago, two weeks, etc. You guys all wildly change your mind on him from week to week. He's been playing fine until this trip literally. The guy has a poor 3 bad games and yall are talking about trading him.

Yes, he has a contract extension. That is no time soon. We don't have to make that decision for this year, we don't even have to make it next season.

I care about the Rockets winning first and foremost and literally 3 games ago Jalen Green was contributing to wins, sometimes being one of the best players on the floor. That matters just as much to me as this current 3 game losing trip and his performance this year matters more than his previous years.

I don't get all this talk about his contract, the guy becomes a RFA in 2025, unless someone approaches the rockets with a deal that can't be denied trade talks should be off the table and we shouldn't even be talking about his contract until that time.

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

gotta earn your minutes, even if you're a starter or a "star player".... especially in the 4th quarter when only the ones with hot hands get the action.

6. MystikArkitect

This. Not that it even bothers being discussed but because everyone is so animated and wants Green traded for having had a bad road trip (lol), there isn't anyone on the market who will have better production or make the team better. The reality is that even how he's currently constructed, Green is getting an extension. Not sure what level of one but he will be getting one (unless he beats the crap out of his GF). So go get your Jalen Green jerseys fellas because he's going to be here a while whether you like it or not. Now let's all try and practice some patience considering this his *first year with a real head coach* and revisit trading him at the end of the year if his efficiency is still awful.

Same thing with Landale. Yeah he's bad right now. But holy **** give the kid some time to figure it out. MFers here were guessing we were going to be at 30 wins and now anything under 50 is ****ing sacrilege lol.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah I really don't understand the conversation about his extension, we basically have 2 seasons before we are forced to make that decision...as for trading...

You don't trade guys at their lowest value. I always bring up Harden but there are so many guys (Nash comes to mind) where you trade a young player before even really understanding what he brings and how that could end up being a massive mistake.

There is just really no reason to be impatient with him right now.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he's quite as bad as he's been playing the last few games and I don't think he's as good as the few fluke good games either.

At some point the kid will have another hot shooting night that will have the usual suspects talking about superstardom again...I think it's important to have a more level headed approach.

That said, I think the talk about if he's worthy of an extension is an important one... if we don't believe he'll be worthy of an extension, or we think his future is more likely to be that of a bench player, maybe we should see if there is a GM out there still really high on him so we can sell before the market completely collapses.

JayGoogle likes this.
  9. a time to chill

I think most people forget that Jalen Green was already on the trade block when the Rockets were a potential trade destination for James Harden. We know that the Rockets are desperate to win and if that means trading Green, they will do it. There would still be hope with Cam, Amen, Smith, and the remaining Brooklyn picks. Next year's free agent class will be strong with a lot of players on expiring contracts (e.g. Immanuel Quickley) so I think the Rockets will be shopping Green on the trade market if his play doesn't improve. Stone's going to seek to erase a mistake by flipping Green for positive assets.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Green started last year off terribly as well. Even rookie year it took him a long while to find his footing (post January). This man lives and dies by his 3 ball. When it's going in he is lightning in a bottle.

It's also clear Silas really let him do whatever he wanted. Ime is playing with structure and you can't just freewheel out there anymore. I think it's the main reason Green was benched even after scoring a quick 9 points, because a lot of was outside the structure.

I've had a soft spot for Green since the pre-draft process. This year is the first real year of pressure and I think a lot of posters are concerned about him mentally, as I am I. He needs have goldfish like confidence or else he will be a Lou Will type player for his career.

Let's see what his averages are like closer to game 30-40 but we can raise the Smoky Bear Bust Level to a yellow for now.

#870 Bo6, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  11. Arkese

Arkese Member

until then he should ride the pine and come out as a 7th man. no room for that noise until you wanna show IME somethin

12. Arkese

Arkese Member

if grren stay ass nobody gonna trade positive assets for him #SellLow is no strategy of a succesful squad

13. invocux

invocux Member

He never found his shooting. If he had found it he wouldn't have looked like a glorified Clarkson now. Everyone is a good shooter once in a while (Kirk Lazarus). You don't forget a skill you acquired that literally never happens. If he had realized that he had a move that worked he would've worked on it, perfected it and made it his go to move. He doesn't have a go to move. Every good shooting guard in the league has a go to move. Jalen's go to move is shooting contested 3 from Alaska.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Some team will believe in his upside and want to give it a longer runway - and buy him and some picks.....maybe this is SELLING HIGH - we don't know.

DD

15. a time to chill

Come on Houston Sports Media. We need to stop with the sad excuses. Stephen Silas is long gone and yet they still want to blame him for Jalen Green's struggles. Its time to stop with the weak excuses and take a critical look at the player.

[​IMG]

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where do people decide what their soft spots are.....

[​IMG]

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look we all want Jalen to succeed, he needs to sit down and figure out how to change his game and play within a structure - if he does that, he will be fine.

If not, he may go to a team that highlights his style - lots of players need to move to a different situation to thrive.

DD

MystikArkitect likes this.
  18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We all need to pump the brakes on the Jalen doom and gloom, I'm not ready to give up on him over one bad stretch of games. He's had a handful of really good games this season and I don't see any reason why he can't get back to that. He is finally being coached correctly, let the process play out at least until the All-Star break before we declare him a bust.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree, he hasn't shown nearly enough to be untouchable...

At the same time though like if the Bulls wanted to trade Lavine for him I'd say no. Lavine would make us better today, likely might make us a playoff team for sure this year but he's 28, this is Lavine in his prime, a fringe all-star caliber player. I wouldn't do that trade, I'd rather take the risk that Green could be better.

Would I take Brandon Ingraham for him though? No doubt. Players like that, yeah.

He's in that odd spot a lot of young players are at where you have to be careful with how you evaluate him.

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But i mean, he scored 16 in 23 minutes. If he played over 30mins like typical, he was gonna have his standard 20+pt game. His efficiency wasnt bad outside a couple heaves hurting his 3s. (Although his current jump shot looks like his form has regressed) He was getting penetration and finishing thru contact while not getting the friendly whistle.

His offense wasnt spectacular or world beating, but it was fine and mirrors what his current role has been. But his focus has been on the other aspecta of the game besides offense.

His defense was just not good enough and he got benched accordingly. He was sloppy and late with a bunch of bonehead mistakes.

Im glad it happened. This teams focus is defense, not offense, and that was the focus imo.