1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Kind of a disappointing draft, right at this moment, especially when you consider how highly people thought of the top prospects after just one year. Just at this point in time you can say Barnes, Wagner, and Sengun are the standouts while Cade, Green, Mobley, Giddey, and Kuminga have all hit major snags in their projected third year career trajectories. But there's still plenty of time to turn things around, unless your name is James Bouknight lol. Development never occurs in a linear fashion, and especially for guards like Jalen, when you look at the career arcs of Booker, Beal, and Fox, they didn't truly break out until year 4. The outliers who it is now clearly unfair to compare Green to are Ant and Kobe. That ship has sailed.

But if I'm Jalen Green right now, I'm throwing elbows out there on the court. This is his career on the line now, and we're talking hundreds of millions easily that he is missing out on if he can't assert himself out there on the court. Stop doing pirouettes around the rim. Go up with two elbows hunting out chins like heat sinking missles, and make your damn free throws.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why are people down on Kuminga, Kuminga was raw as hell in Year 1 and Year 2.....but he is one of those that has risen lol.

Kuminga has surprised me .....I thought he was a 10 ppg scrub. He plays well with Chris Paul and has his occasional 20-28 ppg game.

But yes, the Draft is looking more like a gathering of role players and borderline All Stars than HOFers.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the weirdest posts I’ve read in awhile. Why the f*ck you talking about his cat?

4. invocux

invocux Member

What? I'm explaning my point with an example even a disabled 9 years old can figure that out by himself. What a weird question to ask. Do you also wanna know why i'm using English in my posts?

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

It's the unforced turnovers that are so frustrating. As Hollins says he's gotta tighten up his ball handling.

Kinda hard to believe despite an arguably below mediocre JG we're still .500. The future is bright.

6. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Way to early to be thinking this. He JUST got a good coach. I'm of the mind that those drives he takes into the paint like a maniac will click one day and he'll learn to attack more measured and then it'll all come to him. He still young. Team is still young.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun is the best player from that draft.

Just look at it as if we picked Sengun and Green in reverse order.

Then we did really well.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's actually really simple now, I can see it. When Green decides whether to drive or not, he's only thinking about his defender. He's not doing the thing Harden was so good at which is to also see if there's an opening at the rim - he decides that after he drives. That's a bad idea.

At this moment in time this is the only thing Green has to figure out to become worth the max. His unselfishness, hard work, improved defense are all up. His 3pt shot will clearly be solid especially once defenders are more concerned about his drives. He's a little inconsistent there but at a normal degree for a perimeter scorer.

Again, give it 20-30 games. You can't replace two years with 11 games. We are lucky that there's a coach who seems to be able to work a miracle in less than half a season and you're unappreciative about how special that is.

#388 Mathloom, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, of course, I’ve educated myself quite a bit on the topic. Environment plays a role in hormone levels, in addition to genetics.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If we drafted Sengun #2 and Green #16, there would not have been so many angry people here.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is exactly it.

Sengun is the best player from that draft, so getting him at 2 would already be a steal.

And Green will easily end up in the top 5 from that draft - getting him at 16 is an absolute steal.

Easy likes this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

Believe it or not, Ime knows JG is not him (and will not be a go to star that he had in Jaylen Brown and Tatum). They'll try to make it work for the time being, but I guarantee you Ime will have (or has already) have a convo with Stone to discuss moving him for the right piece. Sell now before the rest of the league, realizes JG is just another Clarkson.

It took Ime 5 minutes to realize Sengun is this team's franchise player. He most likely figured Jalen out rather quickly as well.

Slim and Y2JT like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Maybe we need to let Jalen go crazy for one game, to build his confidence. Let him get a 40+ game...maybe that will change things for him.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's that have to do with the price of tea in China? It's an irrelevant rationalization.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

One of the problems with trying to trade Jalen is, who would you even trade him for right now given the state of the league?

If I were trying to trade away Green, I would want to put together a package with picks and such to acquire a young (age 26 or younger) all-star caliber player who can play alongside Sengun long-term. Ideally this guy would be a perimeter shotmaker type. If you look at the teams with losing records right now, they don't have those guys, or if they do, they're unlikely to become available because they're young enough and have enough years left on their contracts to be considered core building blocks by their franchises.

There are two guys I could maybe see shaking loose at the deadline because they're getting close to the ends of their contracts and are at that mid-20s age where maybe their teams don't see them as being around when they're ready to contend. Those would be Lauri Markkanen and Brandon Ingram. Not exactly really inspiring options, especially considering how many games these two guys miss. They're both 26 though, so theoretically they could still be productive for another 5 or 6 years.

I just don't know that it's worth it given the lay of the land right now. If somebody better demands a trade and is willing to play for us, maybe.

txppratt likes this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Marcus Smart, Robert Williams and Tristan Thompson available?!?!?!?!?

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we traded Jalen for any of those guys I would flip tables (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Especially Tristan Thompson, what the hell?

Also, Robert Williams is out for the season.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

There's also Zach LaVine, though he's 28. Yeah, not great options at the moment, though I do think Lauri Markkanen would be awesome for us.

OremLK likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, Zach is potentially available, but 28 is just too old if you're thinking Sengun is going to be at his peak starting in his mid-20s. Also, he's basically just Jalen's realistic ceiling--if we want a LaVine type we should just hang onto Green and keep developing him IMO.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My point is the power of expectations. People would not be mad at Green's slow progress. If he ended up being a bench player on a playoffs team, that would be okay for a #16. But since he's #2, he would be a "bust" if he didn't make the all star team.

Sengun at #2 would be living up to expectations. People would be gushing at how the tanking was successful.

And we haven't even talked about how these two players would be treated differently under the Silas regime if their draft positions were swapped.

rpr52121 and AroundTheWorld like this.