1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

At this point Cam Whitmore is a more positive contributor than Green is. The dude might not pass the ball once he gets it, but at least he can finish at the rim.

GotGame15, DaDakota and Tankeio like this.
  2. maj21

maj21 Member

Y’all gotta stop the Silas and KPJ crap. If anything, they were worse for Sengun and he’s still that dude! Jalen isn’t that good, he’s a microwave scorer like a Marcus Thornton or a Jr Smith

GotGame15, Entropy and DaDakota like this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Silas and kpj did screw over greens development and use your head everytime u bring up sengun. Man was a Turkish mvp in a professional league.

anthony59237 and tycoonchip like this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Wemby played in the second hardest league and just dominated as a child against grown men, just like Luka and Sengun. For Scoot, Amen and Ausar the jury is still out there. With Amen though there is just certain things not even college can coach and that's court vision, feel for the game, and speed. 100% has the right attitude as well. He'll still be servicable in the long run.
    I have no idea what people saw in Green. He's way too small to be playing the 2. Anthony Edwards isn't that large either, but Edwards is strong enough to muscle his way through. Also has about 2 in of wingspan on Green.
    This isn't on the Gleague but scouting definitely needs to do a better job of judging talent and whether or not it will translate well into the NBA.

5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

If Cam Whitmore can't find any playing time with a scrub ahead of him, what does that say about him?

anthony59237 likes this.
  6. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m not buying that bs. Jalen is what he’s always been. An inefficient scorer who gets hot sometimes. Sengun came over from turkey, didn’t know English, different rules, better athletes here, and didn’t get as many opportunities his first 2 seasons. Miss me with that bs you’re spewing right now

7. a time to chill

Sengun is the franchise player and it’s not even close.

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Jalen has barely improved since his rookie year while Sengun has evolved into an all-star level player. It’s time to stop blaming others for Green’s deficiencies.

9. Junebball

Junebball Member

.. disappointed with Jalen so far this season, but people need to calm down.

I lived in Sacramento and I saw how Fox was frustrating the Kings fans. Watching him lately I can't believe he is the same player.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

there is something to be said for playing in a professional league vs what Jalen has played in

Jalen: high school and AAU where no fundamentals were taught and he got to do whatever he wanted getting by on being faster and more athletic than all the kids he was playing against…G-League which isn’t any better than SL…then 2 years of Silas

this is the 1st year he’s played any sort of organized basketball and had real coaching

college ball would’ve been a much better route than the crap G-League pre-NBA…u can’t evaluate anything in the G-League, it’s not real basketball IMO

Idk what he’s doing in the summer tho…might want to get a hold of whoever is training Tyrese Maxey, another thin and lightning quick guard…shooting was actually his weakness coming into the NBA, but look at him now

anthony59237 and robbie380 like this.
  11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Has a terrible shooting night and we win?

- hes really contributing in so many other areas now and playing within the offense. Amazing to see, so happy for his growth.

Has a terrible shooting night and we lose?

- this guy is the fuucking worst.

anthony59237 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I mean he was a Turkish league MVP at like 19 years old lol…not exactly a seasoned NBA vet.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Been a long time since I’ve been very active here, but I need to get some Jalen Green thoughts out.

1. If you can’t recognize growth in his game, you’re simply a hater. Jalen is not a selfish player and has really impressed me with his increased efforts on the defensive end, on the boards, and his willingness to make the extra pass. In those areas he’s improved a ton under Ime.

2. Offensively, he’s lost right now. He has yet to figure out how to be aggressive within this new system that clearly (and rightfully) runs through Sengun and FVV. The TO’s tonight were bad, but they were mostly came from him trying to keep the ball moving. I’d like to see Ime and FVV try to get him going early the way they do Sengun at times. Not because Green is the better option, he’s not. But because we NEED his offense if we’re going to be legit playoff contenders this year.

The Jalen discourse has always been weird to me. He gets criticized for putting up empty numbers on a bad team and now the team is good and his numbers have gone down but he seems willing to take a backseat at times, yet some want him traded. I completely trust in Greens ability to eventually be a co-star next to Sengun and still think he can average 25 a game. But we gotta be patient while he figures out how to pick his spots better.

cmoak1982, anthony59237 and BigMaloe like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That he just turned 19 and just made it to the NBA?

anthony59237 likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I said in this thread or another that when I get frustrated with Jalen I think immediately of Kobe’s comments about AAU and how much he hated it…and how lucky he felt that he didn’t grow up here because he had to learn SKILLS and not rely on his athleticism growing up overseas.

Getting by on athleticism in tournament team leagues isn’t doing these guys a favor…and I would hope that the Rockets front office would be a bit more savvy about that when judging talent in the draft going forward.

Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  16. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Don’t we have some great shooting coach on Udoka’s staff? Why can’t Jalen shoot at all? He is so so so so bad. It’s painful to watch.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is obvious, if he wants to be a role player you pay him role player money plus a little more on the side for his sporadic Offensive explosions.

Even in the era of putting up stats on a bad team, he was never a good shooter.....that is the concerning part, and he rarely made his Free throws.

a time to chill and MadMax like this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

18 even

tycoonchip and MadMax like this.
  19. a time to chill

I don’t think it’s an overreaction on Jalen Green at this point. He’s supposed to be the guy that we rely on for scoring. We shouldn’t be going to Dillon Brooks for offense to close out a close game when Green was drafted with the #2 pick precisely for that role. We shouldn’t be this bad of a shooting team with Green and Jabari in the starting lineup.

blue_eyed_devil and lakersuck2 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hear ya.....it is always hard to go against the grain when everyone is so in love with athletic players.