1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2024 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

Being the nephew of the original Brooklyn Dodgers owner?

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Las Vegas Athletics on the schedule

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It’s worked wonders for the Angels so why not!??! :)

Madmanmetz likes this.
  5. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I hope the Dodgers take every star level player out of the AL.

Then the Astros have a clearer path to the World Series

6. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

and lose in the 1st round lol

everyday eddie and MadMax like this.
  7. Radricky

Radricky Member

How the **** do the dodgers still have enough prospects to pull something like this off?
    I feel like they are constantly making big trades

8. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Dodgers always get the best and top guys available. It pisses me off.

They have more money to spend than anyone else and they somehow always have a package of prospects just ready to go in trades.

Just the rich getting richer.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wonder how many of the top prospects they have traded have succeeded. Maybe their minor leagues system is overrated and they are able to make these trades because of reputation and media bias.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

A lineup featuring Mookie, Trout, Ohtani, and Freeman is not good for baseball. I mean, don’t get me wrong…the national media would love it…especially if Soto goes to NYY.

Of course, NYM just tried to spend themselves into contenders to no avail, and the Rangers obviously pulled it off. I’m all for players getting paid what they’re worth but that LAD lineup would be a bit much, when 75% of teams can’t even afford to sign 1 or 2 of those guys.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

This was the case with the Yankees for years and years

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38935421/sources-phillies-aaron-nola-agree-7-year-172m-deal

Right-hander Aaron Nola and the Philadelphia Phillies agreed on a seven-year, $172 million contract Sunday, sources told ESPN, locking up their longtime rotation stalwart with a massive deal that comes after nearly three weeks of inactivity in the free agent market.

The 30-year-old Nola, who is in Philadelphia taking a physical that will make the deal official, has spent all 10 years of his professional career with the Phillies, who took him with the seventh pick in the 2014 draft and promoted him to the major leagues barely a year later.

Over that time, he has been their steadiest performer, particularly over the last six seasons, when he started the most games in Major League Baseball (175) and threw the second-most innings (1,065⅓, just behind Gerrit Cole at 1,076⅔). And while the Phillies' National League East rival Atlanta Braves had spent the early part of the winter pursuing Nola and hoping to add him to their rotation, he chose to stay in Philadelphia, a reflection of how he'd come to love the city and its rabid fan base.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Speaking of Dodgers, apparently they are interested in trading for Cease.

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

Can the dodgers please **** off

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They draft well, they sign all their picks, they don’t get too attached to any prospect to make them “untouchable”.

Then again, they also trade Yordan Alvarez for Josh Fields… so there’s that.

raining threes, jim1961 and Radricky like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dombrowski seems to have this routine down pat…. Just needs to always latch on to that big budget team in total win-now mode, and he’ll get every pending FA locked up and ensure all needs filled via expensive trades.

He’s literally one of the best spenders of other people’s money in baseball history. And I’m not saying this as a criticism… its actually not easy for GMs to be this aggressive or this convincing to ownership. (its also probably because he’ll just find another job as soon as he’s let go from this one.)

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

As much as I dislike baseball umps, they are so much less intrusive in games than NFL and NBA referees. Pass interference and holding seem to be called at the whim of the referees. I can see Cardinals fans upset about the muffed punt, yesterday. Murray's 3rd quarter TD looked like an easy holding call and the interception after the muffed punt looked like a PI from where I was sitting (maybe ball was tipped at line?). Maybe it is that I watch a lot of baseball that I get used to the bad calls while they stick out in NFL or NBA games. Either way, I can't wait for baseball to start again.

19. Screaming Fist

It helps having an owner who gets out of the way and doesn't fire his GM just because he doesn't personally like the guy.

Snake Diggit and Joe Joe like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I also add giving said GM a budget that allows holes to be filled via free agents, taking on money in trades, instead of having to rely on homegrown talent as both a direct source for on field MLB production, but also for trades.

Screaming Fist likes this.