1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Yao Ming Era - Question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Firebomb525, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I recently got 2K24 for the XSX and I think its really cool how they allow you to not only play in the current era but play in the 80s, 90s, 00s, and 10s. I only started watching the Rockets during the 22 game win streak and have been a die-hard ever since.

I wanted to try to resimulate Yao's career from 2002 and on and try to hopefully win a ring w/ him and the Rockets. My question is - if you were running the Rockets back then, how would you do this? What players SHOULD the Rockets have pursued or drafted? Was McGrady the right guy or should we have paired Yao with someone else?

The question can also apply to the 2010-2011 season (in a world where Yao comes back OK from his injury instead of retiring after 5 games. I cried when that happened.)

Thanks for any insight y'all could provide! Wanted to try to make a realistic attempt here and not go full zany mode.

Xerobull and Tfor3 like this.
  2. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Yao, TMac and as many pit bulls as you can get to surround them. Metta World Peace type pit bulls.

TheJet and Left Block Problem 74 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CP3
    Ray Allen (Manu)
    LBJ (Paul Pierce)
    David West
    Yao

CP3
    McGrady
    Ron Artest
    Shane Battier
    Yao Ming

Probably go for Deron Williams as well.

Adelman - JVG assistant - Steve Kerr assistant

#3 daywalker02, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We were missing a lot of things...deep bench, an enforcer like Ron Ron, 3nD type shooters. I liked scola, but we needed an animal to spell Yao and cover his weaknesses like what Pop did for Duncan.

The bench players on those teams were like C grade players that fit a need but couldn't do anything else well. We got battier for his defense, but he didn't consistently sink the three ball. Sura could sometimes shoot, but was he really a starter for a contender? Mutombo was great but a decade too late.

Tmac actually had better numbers in the playoffs and could win a game or two in the beginning but everyone else either sucked or were shut down during elimination or must win games. And ultimately, we didn't solve how Utah guarded Yao, which any elite team deeper in the playoffs could try to copy

That hustle team that broke the regular season win streak at the time was pure grit to spite Murray for moving them like assets before trade deadline, but an injury or two right before playoffs led to another first round exit,

No depth, terrible cap mgmt (dead weight from dawson years), and pain from Tmacs back that started his post-magic downtrend killed any real shot at contention.

5. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

What was the key to solving how they defended Yao? I did not witness the 07 playoffs. It was fronting right?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The bigger problems were the National team.......and the Bulking Up too much.

If he was leaner, he could have probably avoided some of the fronting as well.

Left Block Problem 74 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

People like Alston, David Wesley, .Mike James were not great at PG....

Too bad we had Les Alexander as owner, with a Ballmer type you could go after a real good PG.

8. WestendMassive

I would just go and win it all with the 08-09 Rockets. These dudes would have won it all if they stayed healthy

[​IMG]

apollo33 and plegus like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can still do better than Alston.

In theory. I like him tho.

What would I do for DWill back then.

10. WestendMassive

I was a big fan of Rafer, but we did upgrade him that year when he was traded for Lowry to give Aaron Brooks the starter's job.

Pre-Ginobili sabotage Aaron Brooks was awesome. He kicked ass in those playoffs and was a major reason we took Kobe and Pau to 7 even after Yao went down.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A great PG like Deron Will at that time could automatically make Scola a 21 ppg scorer.....and so on.

Run P&R to death.

The difference could be eye opening, Deron was so much better than Fred Van Vleet and he was 6'3, at that time a little giant among guards.

But yeah.

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Mutombo deserves a ring. So, you gotta get him on the team.

14. Left Block Problem 74

The 08-09 team was actually good enough the way it was constructed. It was the off the court stuff and lingering injuries to Yao and Mac. If Yao's management could've just been just more logical, he would've been preserved better. I love Mac but he was mentally and physically broken by then. He didn't trust his body and wouldn't give you his all every game or play by then. Even Ron called him out in interview in the same locker room that season, it's on YouTube. We desperately needed a better rebounder, and PG if we're nit picking. I think if Morey had it his way, he would've moved Mac before then, I would've too. You could've got your pg and something strong to score from the bench if needed. Ron played his ass off that year on both ends. We also forget Yao was at his peak, the fronting was done, he was scoring on double teams and his confidence was where it needed to be.

WestendMassive likes this.
  15. VanityHalfBlack

2008? What is this caveman days? I’m sure if they had the coaching staff now with the latest sports medicine clutchcity would be 2X champs in theory of course

16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

This should be fun.

- 2002 Draft Yao 1, Boozer 15 and Scola 38.
    - 2003 Trade Francis and Mobley for top 3 pick
    - 2003 Draft D Wade 3 and Korver 44.
    - 2003 Sign Posey, Jim Jackson and Mike James
    - 2004 Sign Nash, Turkoglu, B Barry and Okur

Now you have a foundation for a yearly contender. With 4 guys on rookie deals, several really solid vets who can defend and most importantly shoot the ball and only 1 max deal. Nash would dominate with this squad. Heading into his MVP years running the fastbreak with D Wade and a front court of Yao and Boozer :eek:. C'mon!

Yao, Okur
    Boozer, Scola
    Turkoglu, Posey, J Jackson
    D Wade, Korver, B Barry
    Nash, M James

Tell me I'm wrong. :D

#16 Believe It!, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Firebomb525 likes this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We already upgraded to Brooks and Lowry in the playoffs though

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, just noted that the Deron Will and Booze pick and roll was like a Cheat Code, a light version of the Stockton Malone one.

Instant Offense.

I always wanted an elite PG at that time for a reason though.....Tmac was good but not a PG.

Brooks was never a real PG (Scoring guard) to me.....and Lowry was just an infant, he really got going with the Raptors.

19. conquistador#11

I wanted them to do this for Madden, let you play in different eras. Uncreative SOBS.
    The way to win a ring would be to turn the Injuries option off! They're getting the ring in 2009! =(

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

They nearly won with that team. Trade Rafter for CP3 and case closed. (lol, I wish it was that easy)