1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M football thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Ramu3, Aug 31, 2011.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Not necessarily. Fire him now before he can notch another win against... checks notes... Abilene Christian and then maybe get lucky against LSU. Beating LSU would make it impossible to fire him this year and you're on the Jimbo treadmill for another year. Waiting a year doesn't save you that much money and probably puts your program behind even more-- A&M and Texas are already on different trajectories. It makes sense to fire him now and get a head start on the coaching search and a year ahead on the rebuild. Plus, Jimbo was a prickly little dude.

But really, how in the world did they give him that contract? That should put the whole Aggie Business School on probation. Whoever made that call should be held accountable too. Jimbo, assistants, buyout and hire of new head coach, buyout and hire of new assistants, lots of NIL/bag money to keep roster and recruiting class together, and well, you're probably looking at $150+ million total. Factor in the new guy's firing in 3-4 years and it will be well above that. If I ever need an agent, remind me to hire Sexton.

Legit question: Who pays the remainder of his contract--the school or boosters?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yall acting like 75m matters. It doesn't. Not anymore. It's all fake. Good luck

3. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

12th man foundation which is donors. I'm not 100% sure on this but I've heard various things.

1. Donors stepped up to the plate
    2. PUF gives A&M (and some other TX schools) so much money that donors don't have to donate to other areas (research, academics, etc) and can allocate to athletic program.

Someone else probably has more insight in this than me.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm going to say this, and please don't think I'm trying to be a jackass....but at some point, the money NEEDS to matter for A&M. They have more resources (financial and otherwise) than almost everyone in the country...at some point, there has to be a real meaningful return on that, right? Do you feel that same way as a former Aggie? To me it's akin to the Yankees not making a World Series for 20 years....except worse, because at least the Yankees have very meaningfully knocked on the door (getting to a game 7 of the ALCS in 2017).

It's not my school, obviously...I would be proud of the results for a smaller school...but for a school the size of A&M...with all of those resources...I imagine that's gotta be frustrating, right?

Assuming you agree...what do you see as the problem? What keeps A&M from competing at the level of other schools with its resources?

Again, none of this is meant to be a rivalry fight kinda post or anything like that. I'm genuinely curious on how you feel about all that.

ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

6. Nook

Nook Member

It does matter.

That is a lot of money for a university. It also sets the expectations very high for any other big names that TAMU go after.

At some point wealthy universities will realize that it isn't one size fits all. You cannot just grab a former championship coach or accomplished coach, and assume they will be successful in a different conference, a different state, a different time and at a different university.

Everyone points at Nick Saban, but there are very few guys like that.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I hated this hire in the first place, not with him in particular, but against the whole Aggie 1 red carpet helicopter crap. We didn't have recruiting issues prior to Fisher; we had innovation issues. Wanted a sharp young mind who didn't need the hoopla.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It could still happen. A&M could rehire him and he might win the championship. There's no end date until he's dead.

Kim likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Aggie donors have money and they want results FAST. Manziel gave them a TASTE and they got spoiled. TAMU has been swinging big since they took LSU's defensive coordinator.

They will continue to swing big and continue to ignore the importance of CULTURE. They shouldn't even be considering someone like Urban Meyer but I guarantee you the rich donors are demanding he at least get an interview.

Aggies remind me of Les Alexander/Rudy T post-championship teams (except without titles, lulz).

arkoe and MadMax like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU had Sumlin before that, it's not like they wont try anything.

I still contend 75m doesn't matter. Aggie's rich boomer donors have 3, 4, 5, 6, 7xd their money since Covid just like every other rich boomer ****.

ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

[​IMG]

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody that goes or went to TAMU cares about those ****s they live in their own pee-pee world. They put them all over TV but I assure you of the 70,000+ people that go there every year, nobody gives a **** about those ****s

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

raining threes and Ziggy like this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was friends with 2 brothers that were both yell leaders. It’s all good amigo!

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Your friends sound BAD

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I dunno lost track after high school. They were more childhood friends because of our moms being friends and co-workers.

I would be annoyed at going to a&m because of it being way too conservative. Too white with underlying racism. Academically it’s a great school of course. Another of course is you can make friends and form your own group of people that are actually cool.

I don’t have a clue if you would get annoyed by that paragraph. It’s all facts though.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lol yep, been there when it comes to big money donors demanding meetings with Urban. Although I don't love Sark, I sure am glad we avoided Meyer.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I was a Texas fan I would have been....
    1. Mad about losing Muschamp
    2. Happy to get Charlie Strong
    3. Happy to get Tom Herman
    4. Mad to get Sark
    5. Mad to not get Saban, Meyer, Harbough, Fisher (more out of "why not us" than actually wanting him)
    Lulz on ME (although I still would not want Sark)

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop reading my dumb mind

Ziggy likes this.