1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Nuggets @ Rockets 11/12/2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For Jabari, a couple more years in the weight room is going to be the major difference. JG too.

The skill will eventually float to the top, but I just want to see toughness from those two. Jabari had some MASSIVE offensive rebounds tonight. Maybe playing closer to 20-25 will allow him to play harder and with more focus, then we can slowly ramp him up.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Silas isn’t an NBA head coach - he doesn’t have the backbone for it. He consistently let the GM impede on his job. From interrupting practices (a big no-no) to controlling punishment and absences - to Porter dominating and ruining practices. A good NBA head coach wouldn’t tolerate what Silas did. Silas is a good assistant with a strong staff around him….

Do you think Udoka would have tolerated what Silas did? Silas even took credit for work Weaver (his assistant did) because he is a weasel that wanted to save his job - even if that meant doing a bad job.

Silas needs to stay in his lane.

4. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

I agree with you on all our young players. I think Jabari, because he is highly motivated and a hard worker, will learn and get better. But, being honest, I'm not sure that Jabari will thrive in this offense....not the way I thought he might thrive.

He is almost an afterthought in the offense. Is he supposed to be glued to the 3 pt. line (Houston offense)?...that sure seems to be the scheme and remains a constant in watching others in the game at his position. One reason Green finished (at least tonight) is because of his veteran presence. And, it didn't hurt that he could call out the Nuggets plays while out there (per FVV). It was absolutely the right move by Ime IMO. The only thing I'm not entirely in agreement on, despite my love of Ime, is that a player was never going to make it if they don't flourish with us. Whether Jalen, Cam,Amen, Bari....last year there was dissatisfaction with Alpy and his play going forward.

Ultimately, it is about "fit". Young players are going to have up and down nights. How they handle that will determine a lot. FVV said different players will contribute night to night.The Rockets can be a very good team if that happens.

clos4life, saleem, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who cares man? You know when Luka won mvp he was only scoring 18 ppg.

Jabari should stop looking at his raw numbers and just see where he can contribute. Stop trying to be the system and look for ways to fit the system. Even if it's playing like a role player and spotting on 3s he should be willing to do it if it will help team win.

bmelo, Arnel, ramotadab and 1 other person like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Oh I agree that he's just a good assistant I do think some coaches though just take a while to really understand how to run a team. Like Mike Brown who was always a great assistant coach and just now finally seems to have a good handle on his team. I don't know if that is in Silas future but I'm sure someone else might give him another shot.

I don't think Ime would have tolerated any of the stuff here I think it would have been something to see how he would have dealt with KPJ. I imagine KPJ would be deep in the doghouse by now actually. Thankfully we don't have to deal with that.

DeBeards, saleem and Nook like this.
  7. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I've seen the effects of awful coaching and the massive improvement when replaced with merely competent coaching.

Mark Jackson is a bumbling clown, but my favorite example is Jason Kidd with the Bucks. With one of the longest and most athetic teams in the NBA, the Bucks' defense only stopped mid-range jumpers and allowed layups and 3s, so they were mediocre at best despite the talent, and never got out of the first round. Budenholzer comes in and the Bucks instantly turn into a 60+ win contender.

8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Ofcourse but it makes my optimism a very cautious one

Tfor3 and ramotadab like this.
  9. Dredd

Dredd Member

How was Jabari?

I’m being serious this time lol

10. AuburnRocket

What "shooter" do you expect expect ? I mean ...what % do you "expect"? He was 4 of 7 tonight *(57%)..he's 48.4% on FG this year. I'm just wondering what the shooting expectation is ?

Arnel and ramotadab like this.
  11. AuburnRocket

4 of 7 on FG and 7 rebounds in 20 mins. He was 0-2 from 3.

saleem likes this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I dont think its offense thats keeping him off the court. Of course if he was really good on that side of the ball hed be playing more, but its not like Jeff Green is a bucket.

Jabari has got to play better on defense. Jeff Green is a much better defender right now. He gets into better position, he doesnt let players get to their spots as easy and hes better helping off his man and recovering.

Jabari sucks at those things. For the physical traits that jabari has offensive players are way too comfortable getting to their spots and just shooting over him. He still plays like what he did in college is good enough defense. These are the best players in the world. These guys practice against a light contest. Jabari may as well be an assistant coach out there running around with a arm extension and a pad like hes putting guys through drills.

Hes got to dig in more and become more active defensively. Look at how tari, tate, brooks and uncle jeff get into guys bodies. They make the offensive player have to really work to get to their spots and then make the shot. If Jabari were defending like his hair was on fire he'd be in the game.

Jeff_TW and Arnel like this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. conquistador#11

On silas:

I never liked dat guy. Never trusted him. For all we know he had our friend Sterling Brown set up. But that's history. We're here, He's not.

Nook likes this.
  15. AuburnRocket

I disagree that this offense, right NOW offers an opportunity for consistent 20+ a night for him.When you factor in our guard play and number of shots, Brooks (a former NBA guard), Alpy and his shots...these are not complaints, there just is not that kind of opportunity available night in and night out. That would require that Jabari become a very selfish player and would not behoove him or the Rockets.JMO. Zion weighs 284 LBS !!!! LOL....just a 64 lb.disadvantage. Got a flash for you...he will DESTROY a lot of players on a physical level. Jabari does BADLY need to put on about 10 lbs. of muscle.

Arnel likes this.
  16. liveguy

liveguy Member

Rockets beat the Nuggets and Texans beat the Bengals, same day.

We really turning a corner.

FINALLY!

clos4life, cmoak1982 and Believe It! like this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Honestly the best thing about tonight is Sengun matching up with Jokic already. Sengun is only 21 he already held his own vs the best or 2nd best player in the league lol.

Wonder how Presti feels he could have had Sengun and Chet front court right now lol.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is a FUN team. If they can avoid injuries they are going to surprise a lot of people. The difference in coaching is stunning. You knew Silas and company were bad, but holy **** if it's not obvious now. I only wish some of the younger guys we let go would have had a chance to play with this kind of a group. Might have made a difference for them. Might not. Guess we'll never know!

20. AuburnRocket

Wow, it was only the Warriors game a few games ago where Jeff was the MAIN offender of playing defense..feet not set to defend (multiple times), not switching, I mean he was horrible. I posted it here. I can post it again.The problem I have is the being SELECTIVE like this. In his 16-17 yr. career, he is averaging 28 mins. a game,12.4 pts.,45% FG,33.1% from 3, and 4.2 rebounds per game.

If Tari,Tate,Brooks and Uncle Jeff are so good guarding and getting into guys bodies, why are they not guarding the other teams best player night in and night out?

Let's try this...is there anything you think Jabari does well ? So, it's his defense that you have a problem with ? I just can't understand why Ime puts him guarding the other teams best player..you ? Why did Ime have him guarding the inbounds on the last play ? Think his length made getting the ball inbounds difficult? I do.

#1380 AuburnRocket, Nov 12, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2023