1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cubs @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 20, 2004.

1. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I was going to majorly blast Lidge, though he was due a bad outting. Clutch hitting by Lane and that slim chance we're holding onto still lives.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW! Man, I thought we might have a better chance to see the Texans win. I started to watch the 9th inning on live gameday online, and then grabbed my radio when I saw Ensberg was at 3rd. Then listend to the game winning hit. Man that was sweet. TOo bad I went to last night's game. I guess you can't win them all.

So far the Astros are 4-1 when I attend games.

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Finally clutch hitting in the 9th inning. They look like the Astros of 2001 with tonight's win. If the Stros can find a way to win Sunday vs Wood then we still have a good shot. Watch out for Ramirez on Sunday. He scares me with runners on base.

4. MONON

MONON Member

I'm here at work, but Backe looks good in the box score. How did he look live or on tv?

5. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

He looked solid, fastball in the low to mid 90's with good movement. Good breaking stuff, the curve gets over well for a strike and he has a slider and change with which he can mix it up. It looks like with a couple more starts his concentration will be all there for the whole outting as opposed to getting mental lapses sparingly. Yes and importantly he avoided the Redding lack of mental toughness road.

With him it looks like we could have a solid 3 starters and hopefully Carlos will come around. Its only one game but it looks like he has what it takes.

Payaso did a good job assessing him.

6. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Maybe I should just stop watching the Astros. Ater a come from behind win and you think you have something to build on with Roy O going in the rubber game, he gives up 5 runs and gets ejected 2 2/3 IP into the game. Thta's just selfish. He knows that our pitching staff is depleted and we're trying to keep out heads above water in this wild card race. This is utter crap.

7. fya

fya Member

Thanks to Kent's fumble. Kent doesn't look like he gives a damn out there.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I missed today's game. and aparently that was a good thing. The guys on KTRH said this was a game to forget about. Get it behind us. So apparently we sucked and lost big time.

Did Wood get ejected too?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was listening to the game on the radio and Milo was ragging on the ump for throwing Roy out the game. Ashby was also ragging on the ump saying let the players police themselves. All the time admitting that Roy probably hit the batter on purpose. I wonder what they have to say about Bagwell's quote. "I would have thrown him out to".

10. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Actually, I think it is an MLB rule league-wide. The umps were tired of getting shown up by the video screens. At one time it might have been up to Drayton, but now it is up to the league.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I could see Bags winding up and letting one fly; then bouncing on the ground once or twice before hitting the batters knee ca

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It is a league wide rule. This issue was discussed a lot on the radio last season, and it was basically said it was a league rule.

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I didn't see the game, so help me understand what happened... it appears that in the 1st inning Lamb hits a HR and then by coincidence the next batter (Kent) gets drilled by the Cubs pitcher. Then the Cubs score a bunch of unearned runs off Oswalt, and in the third inning Oswalt drills a Cub after the previous Cub hits a homer? After two more 'stros get hit by Woods he gets tossed. Last, Bagwell comments that his teammate should have been tossed.

Since it doesn't sound like an argument about the need to pitchingg batters inside to take away HRs (since the Cubbies hadn't been hitting many HRs in the series), iisn't it still kinda expected that a team looks to its pitcher to send a beanball back at the other guys? Or is Mr. 253 unhappy Oswalt didn't send the "chin-o-gram" in the very next inning? Seems to me if Bob Gibson, or even Roger Clemens was piching, the Cubs would have been ducking even in the batter's box...

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If anything, Roy is then a victim of his clean-cut nature and precise control.

Guys like Kerry Wood and even Clemens are known to go inside, and sometimes lose control... thus, they aren't really criticized when they start hitting guys (like Wood did yesterday).

Oswalt, on the other hand, is always around the plate, and he never really loses his composure... thus, he was found guilty almost immediatley because it was "out of his nature."

Maybe, if Roy incorporates this mean streak into his everyday repertoire, it will serve him better the next time he wants to drill a guy to make the opposing team less comfortable at the plate.

15. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I was at the game, and think that Roy O's ejection was justified while Wood's was not.

Oswalt obviously took his frustration out on Michael Barrett by hitting him between the shoulders after the Cubs big 3rd inning.

Wood, on the other hand, was wild all night, having already hit 2 batters and walked 3 others in 4 innings. Why in the world would he have purposely hit Kent in the 5th inning of a game the Cubs were leading 10-2, knowing that Oswalt had already been ejected and that he would forfeit an easy win if tossed?

Just a terrible decision.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Why would Oswalt hit someone on purpose when he was up 0-2?

17. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

What do you mean? Oswalt wasn't up 0-2 on Barret, he hit him in the middle of the numbers on the pitch immediately following Aramis Ramirez's 3-run HR.

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

WGN announcer Chip Caray was bashing Oswalt when he hit Barret and when Wood hit Kent he said Wood shouldn't be ejected. He has to be the biggest homer in MLB. Steve Stone is pretty fair but Chip Caray is just horrible.

19. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

I dont think anyone has told told Chip Carey that he is on national tv and that maybe he could be objective for once. He is the worst play by play guy in the game and he sounds like the price is right announcer.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you can't expect objectivity out of these guys...they're on the team's payroll.