1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Dillon Brooks has been a bright spot for us so far. I don't care what he did or said last season with Memphis as long he continues to play smart basketball and be that glue for Houston. Stay in your lane, play your game, execute.

2. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what any of that has to do with my opinion that Bobby knows nothing about basketball.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Clamped Bron about as well as you could last night. Didnt interfere with the hot shooting night from Jalen/Alpie. This guy is too good to be true. I cant believe some of us here were ready to write him off before he even touched the court for Houston all on social media popularity contests. Dude is having the same exact impact that Ron Artest had and is a big reason why the sudden turnaround. 80Ms is a bargain.

Jayzers_100, BigShasta, HD729 and 9 others like this.
  5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'll admit I was wrong. This contract is gonna look like a bargain if he keeps this up. I never had a problem signing Brooks. I just didn't like the amount he got especially with 4 guaranteed years. Now suddenly it looks like a genius move to lock him up for that long.

6. Rockets4Life13

Brooks impact on the team is very easy to see. It’s not just Udoka That’s holding everyone accountable. This is exactly why they got DB.

the fact that he‘s suddenly shooting well is just the cherry on top and will probably go down sooner rather than later. It’s not what he‘s here for, tho.

Dobbizzle, justinh and kubli9 like this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly how I feel too.

count_dough-ku and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Corrosion and BigShasta like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

you lost me

larsv8 likes this.
  11. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I found it strange when people simply said "he can't shoot".

Dude was an All American, Pac-12 POTY. He led Oregon in scoring for two seasons. And it wasn't the case of him playing with scrubs. These were stacked squads that featured pro level talent like Payton Pritchard, Chris Boucher, and Tyler Dorsey.
    Granted, not a list of all stars, but being able to even sniff the NBA puts you on another level compared to the average D1 player.

Go through the pre-draft scouting reports and they'll say he's a three level scorer, a shot maker, with defensive deficiencies (lol). You'll see some hints of what's to come with mentions of "fiery competitive nature" and questionable shot selection though.

It was never a question of ability, just making sure he had right mentality. Love how Udoka mentioned talking with Brooks on when to "rein it in, not become the storyline", while still maintaining that competitive edge.

We'll see if Brooks can maintain this production and mindset as the season goes on, but early returns have been stellar.

persian hoopa, Dobbizzle and kubli9 like this.
  12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

LeBron James praises Dillon Brooks as 'worthy' of Rockets deal

Dave McMenamin, ESPN Staff WriterNov 8, 2023, 03:31 PM ET

HOUSTON -- Dillon Brooks might have parlayed a heel turn during the Memphis Grizzlies-Los Angeles Lakers playoff series into a pretty payday with the Houston Rockets this summer, but his postseason nemesis, LeBron James, says Brooks earned every penny.

"I think every player that is awarded with a contract is awarded for a reason, and they're worthy of the contract that they get," James said Wednesday when asked whether Brooks might have boosted his market value by casting himself as the Lakers star's foil.

"So I think in his case, he was worthy of the contract he got. He's put in the work since he came out of Oregon, and that's what Houston found value in and he's here. So no, I think it has nothing to do with that."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38849957/lebron-james-praises-dillon-brooks-worthy-rockets-deal

Dobbizzle likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He has been an inefficient shooter in Memphis. That's not the same as "he can't shoot."

His inefficiency was due to his poor shot selection. If he limit himself to taking only good shots, he can be a good shooter.

Corrosion and FishBulb913 like this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Sometimes, I think it is easier to teach a guy to shoot than it is to teach a guy when not to shoot. There are exceptions, but bad habits are hard to break.

Easy likes this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

It should be noted that since the beginning of the regular season, Brooks hasn’t punched, bit, or kicked anyone in the balls. He’s controlling his emotions.

Corrosion and Dobbizzle like this.
  16. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I love the psycho stare too tbh, he's another great character in a group of great characters for me. Absolute bargain, if he maintains his production and intensity through his entire contract I'd keep him longer.

BaselineFade and kubli9 like this.
  17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Brooks is down to 9.3 FGA per game. His high in attempts this season (14) is lower than his average of the past four seasons (15), so he's cut back considerably. I heavily criticized his signing because I thought there was no way he would take a backseat to our youngsters, plus I thought he was overpaid. I've been proven completely wrong so far. He knows his role and is worth every penny.

Corrosion, Jayzers_100, Easy and 2 others like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is a product of our offense. Ime has implemented a system of sharing the ball and not relying on isolation plays to score. I think it makes a huge difference since everyone is touching the ball. It's not about one guy getting his, but it's about the team getting wins.

19. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

It is possible that now that he secured the bag he doesn't feel the need to test the limits of his creation abilities. There is still wide spread belief that to get paid you have to show the ability to score. He might know they were bad shots but necessary to get a contract. I like this idea since I agree with Joe Joe that bad habits are really hard to break.

Corrosion and Jayzers_100 like this.
  20. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Clearly he's the best "Brooks" to ever play for the Rockets.

Scott, Aaron, Armoni

Entropy, glimmertwins and roslolian like this.