1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Sengun is the Rockets best player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 26, 2023.

?

Is Sengun the Rockets best player?

1. Yes

81.0%
  2. No

19.0%
  1. fattz

fattz Member

Max him out Mr. Stone don’t play games with him just respectful respond with a rookie max extension. He is earning it give it to him.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Boban is better.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As I said in the other thread, this is not even a proper apology. He repeats all the same lies from before and then just says "Sengun got better now".

No Kelly, the truth is that Sengun was never as bad as you (and some others...) kept saying. He got stranded on an island by guards who would not play a lick of defense, and he had an utterly inept coach who would use him as the scapegoat when the reality is that KPJ and Jalen played as if they didn't give a f, and Bari was still super young and learning and often out of position himself.

If the guards don't even try and they constantly let 2-3 guys come at you full speed and you are the only one left to protect the basket, EVERYONE would have looked bad. Gobert would have looked bad.

Iko saying it is an "apology", but this is weak sauce.

4. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Overall he is the best player for now.

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Has been for a while.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Exactly. What a pathetic attempt. You were wrong about Sengun last year because his defense has improved this year?? Lmao.

It's actually unbelievable that this guy has a job writing about basketball.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I stand by him not starting the season as the best player on the team (I actually think people are doing FVV a disservice, he's a very good basketball player.) I do not think it's out of the question that he ends the season as the best player on the team though, if he stays consistent and keeps hitting the longer range shots (which I think is very plausible, as he gets less hesitant.) I think him becoming enough of a threat on the long 2/3pt shot would further amplify his inside game, if that happens he can easily jump 5 points in scoring. At that point, he's probably our best player unless Green or Jabari explodes in the coming months.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How would you measure "best player" (if it mattered)?

When you look at counting stats, he leads the team in points and rebounds and is second in assists.

I guess you could look at advanced stats.

@34to11 cited this link when he was hating on Sengun.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced?CF=MIN*G*25&TeamID=1610612745&dir=A&sort=DEF_RATING

[​IMG]

Sengun clearly has the best defensive rating and best net rating.

Depending on which link you use, he is either 18th (Hollinger) or 13th (Statmuse) in PER in the entire NBA (only Rocket player listed in top 50).

https://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

[​IMG]

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/nba-player-per-rankings

If you look at Hollinger's "Value Added" stat (VORP), he is 3rd in the entire league, behind Jokic and Embiid (although this seems like a very flawed stat or a miscalculation to me, because I see almost entirely centers in this list).

https://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/VORP

[​IMG]

Same result if you sort be Estimated Wins Added

https://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/sort/VORPe

If you look at Stathead, he has the highest win shares per 48, by far the highest box plus/minus and the highest VORP there as well.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2024.html

[​IMG]

Why would one say he has not been starting the season as the best player on the team? Eye test?

Attached Files:

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I didn't read any of that just so you know. 2 x All Star, NBA Champion vs Lottery pick on the worst team in the NBA. That's where the season started.

34to11 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Okay, so you are talking about past accomplishments. I thought you were talking about "how they started this season".

FVV has been great, as has been Dillon Brooks.

clos4life and cml750 like this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

Brooks or him. Brooks because in the alternative reality where KJ-KPJ are still in the team and Brooks not we are 0-6 and wanting Ime's head. His impact is so tangible it's eye opening. It tells you how dogshit our perimeter defense was in last 3 years. He brough us from 0 to 100 on defensive end. Without Sengun because he makes everyone better on offensive end. He doesn't ice Jabari and his chemistry with Jalen is immense. He even feeds uncle Jeff. So they are both the best players on the team. It's not even 1a 1b for me they are both 1a.

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

@AroundTheWorld I am sure you are very board of my comments on net ratings but can't help it :). Ratings are team stats, depends on the opposing team's performance and needs context to be interpreted. You can't use Sengun's defensive rating as evidence of better defense. For example if you are putting your best defender together with the worse defenders to balance them, the worst defender's rating will go up and the best defender's rating will go down.

Sengun has made a big leap in defense, even his haters cannot believe it, even his best supporters did not expect this. But Brooks is by far the best defender in this team.

As for the best men, I think it is hard to compare in different positions unless there is a clear leader. Sengun, Brooks and FVV all fill their roles almost perfectly. So they are sort of all best players.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

I voted yes because Sengun's improvement seems permanent, but tbh right now I think Brooks is the best player, I just don't think he will continue to shoot 60% from 3 lol even Steph doesn't do that so in my eyes Sengun is the "real" best player.

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

I have been a supporter from draft day when he became available and Stone made that trade up and picked him. It was the steal of the draft. Guy has those intangibles that are showing up on the stat sheet. Plus 17 offensive and plus 12 defensive is impressive. He makes the game fun to watch too.

15. HardenReturns

HardenReturns Member

Of course he is.
    Attention: he is surrounded with shooters now. He didn't have this luxury in the previous two seasons; moreover, Silas was a really sh!tty, sh!tty coach.
    Everybody, even Brooks who was rumored to be an incorrigible chucker, is having a career season. I believe the benefit is mutual among everyone. Sengun will break Kareem's most assists record soon and the other four on court with him will score, score and score.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

At one point during the first few weeks of Sengun's rookie year, I posted that I thought his defensive instincts were good but he kept looking bad because there was no team defense and he was often left in impossible positions of having to guard two or more players. Glad to see I was generally correct there. Oh, and my goodness does Silas look worse and worse each game--not just with Sengun but with the entire team. What a clown show that staff was.

17. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

bro u dont need glasses or contact lenses after the surgery. u may have sunglasses if u want lol

18. Sengun

Sengun Member

Good point. When the camera takes close-up shot Sengun, I sometimes see he squints his eyes and looks somewhere far. This is a movement that I and all other myopes make in order to see something in the distance more clearly.

If Sengun has a vision problem, he can compensate for it by using contact lenses during the game. There are players who play with contact lenses. Like Gobert. This is not a problem. I had surgery and it recurred. It may be riskier for a professional player. I don't think it's necessary.

Rinaldi likes this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Statistically there is no question that Sengun has been the best player on the team in the early stages of this season. Does it also pass the eyeball test? Yes it does. He's showing nice improvement -- and is still really young. He is our best player.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's a tier below Scola. Maybe in 5 years he'll be up there.